When the Smoke Signal representatives came into the classroom and talked about joining Journalism, I wasn’t exactly intrigued by the notion of giving up an AP course to write articles. I didn’t give it a second thought until I was talking to my English teacher Mr. Rath about applying for summer programs. I had to submit a written work to the summer program so I was asking him for a unit test he had collected. He asked me if it was for the Smoke Signal application. I hesitated, caught unawares, but I eventually collected my wits and told him that it wasn’t. However, his comment ran through my mind for the rest of the day. I began thinking more about joining but still didn’t know if I wanted to fill it out on my pre-registration form and sacrifice an AP course. A few days later, I was at a meeting after school about editing Mission TV’s first b...
... middle of paper ...
...ing your colleagues about a group project. There are still things you can do to help you concentrate. You can start by using a different browser, such as Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox, so you won’t be enticed by all the tempting bookmarks on your normal browser. If you’re already using Firefox, you can create a new profile (see http://bit.ly/5RpvFh for more information) to separate your work from your play. Firefox users can also download productivity add-ons, such as LeechBlock, which prevents you from accessing distracting sites. There are also plenty of ambient sound websites that relax you while you work, with sounds varying from classical music to white noise (which is basically just static; to each his own!).
I’ll part with one last tip: Keep your workspace neat. You’ll get work done much quicker if you have a table free of little diversions and clutter.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- I believe staying involved in school is one of the keys to success. It allows you to get out, stay active, meet friends, and maybe even learn a thing or two. This semester I have been involved in the NRF or the National Retail Federation. It is an organization that allows you to get more insight on retail and what it is really all about. I got to go with e-board to Philadelphia this semester because I won the freshman scholarship award from the NRF. We attended the Philadelphia Summit where representers of huge retail companies talked about their careers.... [tags: Critical thinking, Learning, Distraction, Thought]
1260 words (3.6 pages)
- An instructionally focused school administrator has several roles and responsibilities in ensuring that they are running an effective school. Schools were created to prepare students for the real world and an effective administrator should have that vision in mind. Their vision should match the school and district mission statements. Consequently, effective teachers and administrators will prepare a successful person for the world, especially in today’s tough economic times. An instructionally focused administrator runs their school with competence and with one goal in mind: That all students will succeed.... [tags: teachers, teaching, Education]
952 words (2.7 pages)
- Staying Dry on Game Day I wandered aimlessly through the bowels of the structure trying to uncover an unsuspecting vendor selling some protection from the rain. The only thing I discovered was one small booth with nothing to sell. As I approached, several other people followed my lead. I walked up and asked where I could find a poncho to beat the relentless elements outside. The bearded hippo rose up from his resting state and sharply answered my question telling me that a box would be arriving here at any time.... [tags: Descriptive Essay Examples, narrative]
807 words (2.3 pages)
- Life has change in the way people get in good physical condition. In the past three decades, one of the many popular trends has been receiving gym memberships. People go out of their way to buy memberships to gyms which they hardly even attend. Three ways that young people can stay in fit physical shape without having to pay, drive and join a gym are running, using the school gym and substituting exercise in their daily routine. If one does not want to pay to get a membership to the gym but still want to stay in physical shape, they can always exercise by running.... [tags: essays research papers]
379 words (1.1 pages)
- Healthy Holiday Entertaining As the holiday approaches, numerous parties can be seen almost everywhere and comes with it were sumptuous and decadent dishes. Staying healthy can be a tedious job especially during the holidays thus planning healthy meals is a must when you’re the one hosting the feast. Make time to plan every recipe you’ll be serving and cut on those calorie-laden temptations but making healthier food options. Holidays need not to be all about indulgent eating, but it should be more focused on enjoying the holidays with family and friends.... [tags: staying healthy, life styles]
602 words (1.7 pages)
- Between the years of 1950 and 1975, Americans witnessed a number of demographic and social changes. Following a baby boom in the 1950s, generations of women who had grown up during the Great Depression and World War I sought stability through a renewed interest in domestic traditions. In contrast, more married, middle-aged and middle-class women took advantage of new vocational opportunities afforded by a strong economy. Despite their increased presence in the work force, women living in this decade experienced internal guilt and external resistance when they pursued positions in fields that did not appeal to their “household skills.” All the same, the Women’s Bureau encouraged employers to... [tags: Women's Rights, Education, Civil Rights]
1863 words (5.3 pages)
- As many of us pursue our higher education there are many challenges and choices we have to make along the way. These challenges and choices are influenced by a variety of outside factors. Some of the major challenges we face are time management and the prioritization of our daily professional and personal responsibilities. For a student such as myself I have to balance my class schedule and assignment due dates with a full time career that at a moments notice may require me to be away from home for up to six months at a time.... [tags: Higher Education ]
1119 words (3.2 pages)
- What is the first thing we do when we get on our smart phone. Check Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram. It is amazing how society stays connected today. With the technology we have, social networking has reached new heights in popularity and usefulness. The applications to social media are endless; from sharing pictures, songs, microblogging, and online dating, there is something in it for everyone. With the endless possibilities of social media, people can use it as a wonderful thing or abuse it to become a bad thing.... [tags: Technology, Social Medias, Smart Phones]
861 words (2.5 pages)
- According to Jere Brophy (1987), motivation to learn is a competence acquired "through general experience but stimulated most directly through modeling, communication of expectations, and direct instruction or socialization by signiﬁcant others (especially parents and teachers)." To begin with almost all students are motivated in one way or another. One student may be deeply interested in classroom subject material and look for challenging course work, participate actively in class discussions, and earn high marks on assigned projects.... [tags: attaining academic achievement, staying on task]
539 words (1.5 pages)
- As we grow up, we begin to forget what it is like to be a child and how sweet and innocent we were. We forget these things because of the daily stressors that are thrown at us as mature. In my future, I want to be able to help children hold on to their innocence; because for some, it is taken from them far too early. By providing counseling for children in need there is hope that therapists can guide their adolescent patients onto a path that will allow them to live a great life no matter what their goals are.... [tags: Family therapy, Solution focused brief therapy]
1310 words (3.7 pages)