“Tom Mullaney was a lively 15-year old boy with no history of being bullied, but all it took to shred his world apart was one night with 12 threatening Facebook messages from 6 of his classmates. His father found him in the shed at the back of the garden, hanged” (Doucet 1). Situations like this occur more and more as social networking grows in popularity, especially among adolescents. Though many individuals own accounts on social sites, privacy settings may not exist or are not enforced, leaving millions of users vulnerable to attack. By strengthening the privacy protocols of social networks, users will be capable of operating them securely without discomfort.
Communication and socializing with friends and family was the original idea of social networks, such as Facebook and Twitter, however implementing privacy settings may hinder the opportunity for users to conversate. By adding profiles or following accounts, users can connect and form relationships with acquaintances. These sites also aid in “the transition from high school to college life”, giving students the advantage of knowing some individuals before the big move (Johnson 1). Enforcing the privacy settings will prevent students from introducing themselves to their future classmates; social networks give them the opportunity to avoid face-to-face confrontations. It gives a more comfortable approach to making friends. “These days, students increasingly come to freshman orientation knowing 30 or 40 people rather than being just vaguely acquainted with their roommate from the awkward phone call in which they decide who is bringing the microwave, Roche said” (qtd. in Johnson 1). Social networking websites serve as tools for people, young and old, to become ...
... middle of paper ...
...etroit: Greenhaven Press,
2013. Opposing Viewpoints. Rpt. from "Social Media Background Checks."
2013. Opposing Viewpoints. Rpt. from "Social Media Background Checks."
http://www.insightintodiversity.com (15 Feb. 2012). Opposing Viewpoints In Context.
Web. 7 Nov. 2013.
Tremblay, Janic. "Twitter Has Transformed News and Reporting." What Is the Impact of
Twitter? Ed. Roman Espejo. Detroit: Greenhaven Press, 2013. At Issue. Rpt. from
"Twitter: Can It Be a Reliable Source of News?" The Nieman Reports (Summer
2010). Opposing Viewpoints in Context. Web. 11 Nov. 2013.
Zuckerberg, Randi. "Facebook Helps People Share Credible Information." The Global Impact of
Social Media. Ed. Dedria Bryfonski. Detroit: Greenhaven Press, 2012. Current
Controversies. Rpt. from "Facebook Journalism." Roryoconnor.org. 2009.Opposing
Viewpoints in Context. Web. 11 Nov. 2013.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Abstract— To provide high speed data traffic and maintain promised QoS in wireless systems IMS was introduced in 3rd generation networks. IMS uses SIP style session creation and maintaining means. As IMS deals with high rate data transfer so this module can be used for purposes other than catering QoS. Here we propose a technique in which IMS has been used for location update of any mobile node , it not only gives exact location of any randomly moving node but it also helps in emergency state where location determination of any node can be a setback.... [tags: Computer Science ]
1546 words (4.4 pages)
- Having reviewed the Healthy People 2020 Leading Health Indicators: Progress Update, the leading health indicator (LHI) elected is knowledge of serostatus among HIV-positive persons. Three key elements are contributing to the transmission of HIV. First, high-risk sexual behaviors (unsafe sex), next, persons at high risk are not getting tested, and finally, non-disclosure of HIV-positive status to sexual partners. The latter ties in with knowledge of serostatus among HIV-positive persons. Admittedly, knowing your status is vital, but to some degree that knowledge is self-serving when a person(s) abstains from sharing this information with sexual partners.... [tags: HIV, AIDS, Safe sex, HIV/AIDS]
1141 words (3.3 pages)
- Everyone, It’s amazing how fast a year can go by…we are exiting the year as a better company, providing better service and value to our clients. Attached is the final version of the Strategic Tracking Chart for 2009. As always, please remember to treat this information confidentially…don’t print it and leave it at any client location, or anywhere the general public can see it. Technical Resource Coverage We exit the year with 22 Technical Resources in Ongoing Support, covering 11,539 seats, which translates to 525 Seats per FTE.... [tags: Business Analysis]
1123 words (3.2 pages)
- Introduction Computer is playing a more and more important role in our daily life. People using their computers nearly every minutes, while they are traveling on the public transports, working in their office, studying at school and entertaining at home. This article would describe the current status of computers, criticize the current status, discuss the future trends of computers and describe a few wishes of mine towards the future of computers. Current Status of computers 1. Education Computers have been widely used in education.... [tags: education, ebooks, technology, cloud computimg]
1859 words (5.3 pages)
- What is the current status of IFRS from the SEC Perspective. For over a decade the financial accounting standards board and the international accounting standards board have been trying to converge US. GAAP with IFRS for over a decade. James Schnurr, the Securities and Exchange Commission chief accountant, has been communicating the progress of SEC compliance with IFRS. Earlier this year Schnurr spoke at the 14th annual Baruch College Financial Reporting Conference in New York. In his speech he stated there is virtually no support to have the SEC mandate IFRS for all registrants.... [tags: International Financial Reporting Standards]
1135 words (3.2 pages)
- On the 27th of February, 2016 I became so upset with the status quo of Massachusetts Primary Voting System I sent a letter to Mr. Stanley C. Rosenberg (President of MA Senate). I was seventeen years old at the time however my eighteenth birthday was months away in August so I was feeling down about not being able to vote in the Primary Presidential Election. A week before hand at Oakmont Regional High School we had a presentation about Girl State, a week long camp at the end of junior year considered “a nonpartisan program that teaches young women responsible citizenship and love for God and Country,” run by the American Legion Auxiliary in Massachusetts at Stonehill College.... [tags: Voting system, Election, Elections]
861 words (2.5 pages)
- Poverty affects all aspects of a child’s development, for instance it would affect a child’s emotional development, as families with a low income who are struggling are likely to be stressed and feel the pressure of poverty and all its disadvantages, and these feelings may be portrayed by those children to as they are going through this experience with their families. Families with a low economic status cannot afford houses in good quality neighbourhoods because of their income and so the environment which they would be living in wouldn’t be of the best standard, and the type of environment influence’s a child’s social and emotional development.... [tags: poverty, CRC, economic status]
963 words (2.8 pages)
- INTRODUCTION: Kenya is a state in the great lakes region of east Africa; it is bordered by Somalia, Tanzania, Uganda, south Sudan and Ethiopia to the north. It has a population of 43.18 million people. Kenya’s economy is market-based, with few state owned enterprises and maintains a liberal trading system. Its GDP is at $40.70 billion and has a GDP growth of 4.6% as per 2012, with an inflation rate of 9.4%. Kenya is seen to have a well-developed social and physical infrastructure. Kenya is classified as a middle income country capable of servicing its debts, by the World Bank.... [tags: economy, poverty, debts]
1086 words (3.1 pages)
- According to the Center for Disease Control (CDC) (2013), research has shown that many young people between the ages of 13-29 are not concerned about becoming infected with HIV/AIDS and many of them do not know their HIV status. The CDC (2013) found that 39% of all new HIV infections affected young people between the ages of 13-29. Contraceptive Technology Update (2013) found that studies have shown that the greater the number of sexually transmitted infections (STIs) contracted during the teenaged years, the greater the risk of acquiring HIV.... [tags: hiv status, sti's, aids awareness]
955 words (2.7 pages)
- Introduction When it comes to leadership some people say that your either born with it or not. In today’s modern world if you’re not born with it you must learn to become one. For Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg it has been a challenge convincing the public that he has the leadership skill needed to run a multi-billion dollar company. Sceptics argue that the young entrepreneur does not have the experience necessary to run the company. In an article titled, “Facebook 's leadership: Time for an update?”, the author suggest that Mark Zuckerberg get a hold of an experience mentor.... [tags: Facebook, Mark Zuckerberg, Dustin Moskovitz]
1140 words (3.3 pages)