Self and society could be said to be counter-images to each other but at the same time this has me postulating a more dialectic approach about whether self and society could not be viewed within the same light, within the same framework, and within the same relationship to one another. The commonality between the two in order to find those interwoven threads both share with one another is what I will attempt to show. This is important because society, in shaping the individual and how that same individual is in need of learning social responsibility in order to realize the role they play within that society, requires a person to look beyond one’s own self-needs and personal desires. Veterans of the armed forces have done this. With that being said, from a societal perspective it could be understood as such, but I find myself asking, who shapes society if not for the individual?
Ten years in the army taught me one thing and one thing well, how to survive. Even with the service-connected disability I have now, I still persevere, but I have noticed that the methods and techniques used to do this were derived from a selfish sense within me. This kept me first and others second, with me now and you later. Back as a member of society, I realized that the ways of overcoming adversity did not bring to bear the desired results once sought for. The taking that was necessary in order to allow myself to survive, had to be converted into giving, and adaptations with the new circumstances and situations into sharing. My adjustment back into civilian life took some time. Even my aspirations for graduate school would not even be possible if it were not for the Department of Veteran Affairs. It only makes sense to me to want to return back i...
... middle of paper ...
...s for which I intend to serve and to myself. Competence, a value of the social work profession states this
Besides the fact that I will need a Masters of Social Work degree for the purposes of becoming licensed in the profession of social work, a Masters of Social Work degree from the University of Southern California will allow me the in-depth and specific training I am looking for with a sub-concentration in ‘Military Social Work and Veteran Services.’ With my life-experience and history within the armed services I can make contributions to the knowledge base of the social work profession and especially to our military veterans and service members. I am looking forward to this
Thank you very much for this opportunity and I look forward to being a graduate student in the School of Social Work and a member of the family at the University of Southern California.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Statement of Purpose As a child, litterbugs and their negative influence on the appearance of my surroundings always annoyed me. The teaching method in my playschool motivated my interest on nature through a combination of self-directed activities and my own natural inner guidance. As my knowledge advanced over the years, I acquired a high level of critical thinking skills and creativity and often surprised my teachers by suggesting creative solutions to problems. Around age fourteen, I got more serious in civil and environmental engineering since society’s ignorance toward environment in my country was always one of my concerns.... [tags: environment, engineering, education]
649 words (1.9 pages)
- ... In this four years intensive program, involves subjects of my interest like Operating System, Web Programming, Distributed Databases, Computer Networks, Automata and Compiler design in which I secured impressive grades. To augment my knowledge in hardware domain, I successfully completed hardware programming on 8086(Microprocessor) and 8051(Microcontroller). My firm belief in my objective to study graduation and research area was the result of my participation in various seminars. My papers including CARBON TUBES, Artificial Immune System and Nano ROBOTS in Human Body were highly lauded and appreciated.... [tags: technology, research, development, goal]
543 words (1.6 pages)
- Life is a beautiful and unique gift to us. Although it is said that our destiny has already been written, but it doesn’t mean that we don’t need to work for our dreams to come true. Indian spiritual leader, Swami Vivekananda, had spoken about the way to success: Take up one idea. Make that one idea your life - think of it, dream of it and live on that idea. This is what I think exactly of how a person’s passion should be. Without an aim, there is no meaning to life. It gives directionality to the spirit and purpose for living.... [tags: education, teaching, books]
563 words (1.6 pages)
- Many young entrepreneurs on Kickstarter have been successful in gathering funds from the public to start up their own business. Small businesses such as Facebook and Tweeter have gone public in a small amount of time after it was first founded. Their huge success in business has deeply inspired me to bring my creative business ideas to life after I graduate. The blend of eager desire to experience the business world firsthand, and the pursuit of financial independence is what determined my decision to assemble a team, and to embark on an ecommerce business together.... [tags: small business, sales, education]
526 words (1.5 pages)
- ... Working on Radiation-Health compliance has helped me to develop subject matter expertise in a nascent and upcoming field. I have been given with two on site opportunities where I was engaged in project transformation. I was involved in decision making of processes and work flows, setting up WLA's, SLA's, MOP's required for project transformation. The International tour exposed me to the dynamics of cross-culture business and enhanced my technical knowledge, business ethics and negotiation skills.... [tags: perserverance, communication, management]
568 words (1.6 pages)
- My enthusiasm for Management studies is fairly self-explanatory: people, throughout life, will either manage or be managed. In both situations management skills are essential. The study, at high school level, of modules such as business economics, organizational behaviour and marketing has helped me to develop a stronger grasp of management fundamentals. In the US, during a six-month International Exchange Programme at the Sun Prairie High School in Wisconsin, I took a Business course, which sparked an interest in the field.... [tags: statement of purpose, career choices]
1328 words (3.8 pages)
- What is the ideal purpose of higher education. College helps people prepare for their future career choices. Most people, including myself would give a simple generic answer like that one. However, we all know that there is more to it than that. I believe that the purpose of higher education is to better yourself as a whole. Going to college should help your self-esteem and help you become independent. The structure of higher education should remain the same. Students should start college as a freshman and end as a senior.... [tags: Education, Higher education, University, College]
904 words (2.6 pages)
- I was in a remote village in the Peruvian Andes conducting art therapy with prisoners when I realized this was the most meaningful experience of my life, and it should not be. The study and practice of psychology are the place where my humanitarian and intellectual interests align. I am applying to the clinical psychology program to fulfil the training I need to continue to make meaningful contributions to society and also contribute to the field of psychology through research. A family illness that is now happily behind me delayed me from doing so sooner.... [tags: statement of purpose]
868 words (2.5 pages)
- Proof of a Statement How do we know. What makes us so sure that everything we learn is in fact real and true. There are many things involved in the proof of a statement. One of them are facts, however, a fact by itself is not sufficient. Facts are very important to prove a statement; nevertheless, by themselves they cannot prove anything. There need to be evidence, experience, perception, the use of language, knowledge, information, and so forth. All of these compliment each other, and joining all of them together, the necessary proof for a statement can be obtained.... [tags: Papers]
1045 words (3 pages)
- Before stepping onto the topic of the way we see ourselves, we first have to try to fully understand the definition of self-concept. The classification of self-concept is defined in many different ways by various researchers and practitioners over years. According to Purkey and William (1988), the popularity and attention of self-concept has been raising since decades of ignorance. Self-concept is mainly regarded as the realisation of our own existence; who we are, what is our purpose and how we fit into the society.... [tags: Psychology, Gender Difference]
848 words (2.4 pages)
- Manufacturing Change at GM: An appraisal of Kurt Lewin’s3-Step Model
- Early American Life of Irish and German Immigrants
- Realism in Wharton’s The House of Mirth
- Perspectives on Freedom in Poetry by Emily Dickinson and Harriet Jabos
- The Significance Of Setting In The Novel 'One Day In The Life Of Ivan Denisovich'
- Analysis of William Shakespeare's King Lear