Born in Assisi 1181.
Real name Giovanni (John) Bernardone but nicknamed Francis (Frenchy).
Father a wealthy cloth merchant.
As a young man was a bit of a playboy – formed a band and played an early version of the guitar.
Also known for his generosity – one day he was working at his father's stall in the market and gave all the takings to a beggar.
Dreamed of military glory – joined the army and spent a year as a POW. Later very sick.
Slowly became interested in religion.
One day was praying in the ruins of the church of St Damian when he had a vision of Christ saying, “Francis go and repair my house which is falling down.”
Took the words literally. Sold some of his father's goods to rebuild the walls of the church.
Father took him to magistrates and the bishop to get the money back – Francis stripped himself naked in the city square in front of the bishop and swore that he only had one father in heaven.
Francis spent some time working as a cook in a monastery and as a labourer – used all his money on repairing churches. Words of Christ in St Matthew came to him:
“Go and preach 'The Kingdom of heaven is near!' Heal the sick, bring the dead back to life, heal the lepers, and drive out demons. You have received without paying so give without being paid. Do not carry any gold or silver in your pockets; do not carry a beggar's bag for the journey or an extra shirt or shoes or a stick.” (Mat 10:7-10)
From that moment onwards Francis was determined to imitate Christ and obey his commands in absolute poverty in Christ-like love and humble obedience.
My brother in law – a Methodist minister – put it very well a couple of days ago. To understand people like Francis we must understand tha...
... middle of paper ...
...e end. He will permanently dwell in them. They will be the Father's children who do his work. They are the spouses, brothers and mothers of our Lord Jesus Christ.
The Prayer of St Francis
Francis did not write this prayer – in fact it only dates from 1912. But it absolutely typifies the attitude of Francis. He would have liked it!
Lord, make me an instrument of your peace;
where there is hatred, let me sow love;
where there is injury, pardon:
where there is doubt, faith;
where there is despair, hope
where there is darkness, light
where there is sadness, joy
O divine Master,
grant that I may not so much seek to be consoled as to console;
to be understood, as to understand;
to be loved, as to love;
for it is in giving that we receive,
it is in pardoning that we are pardoned,
and it is in dying that we are born to Eternal Life.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- The Aesthetic Pedagogy of Francis of Assisi ABSTRACT: Despite his anti-intellectualism, Francis of Assisi was an effective teacher who intentionally illustrated the life of virtue in his own way of living. He was a teacher in the sense that the Hebrew prophets, Socrates or Gandhi were teachers. He was a performance artist for whom drama functioned pedagogically. His life was not always meant to be an example to his followers; sometimes it was a dramatic lesson, meant to be watched, not imitated.... [tags: Francis Assisi Essays]
3470 words (9.9 pages)
- St. Francis of Assisi was considered to be a magnificent man. He had a very appealing way of life that people now know and talk about everyday. When learning many new items and discoveries about St. Francis, I accomplished better knowledge about him. This paper will describe the life of St. Francis in depth talking about his early life, his imprisonment and turning towards God, and his works and teachings. St. Francis was born in Assisi, Italy 1181. At the time of his birth, he was established as a sinner, meaning he did many things against God in his younger life.... [tags: catholic church, God]
1184 words (3.4 pages)
- Saint Francis of Assisi (1182-10/4/1226) was born into a well-off family unit at Assisi, Italy, the son of a wealthy merchant named Pietro di Bernardone. Francis received little formal education and during his formative years. As an adolescent, he was all the rage, attractive, appealing and was mostly preoccupied in having fun; enjoying practical jokes and was usually the central source of entertainment of the party. Francis was brought up in luxury and cheerfulness. He spent a substantial segment of his possessions in wasteful pleasures.... [tags: History Biography Saint Italy Assisi]
1801 words (5.1 pages)
- Francis of Assisi was a poor man who astounded and inspired the Church by taking the gospel literally—not in a narrow fundamentalist sense, but by actually following all that Jesus said and did, joyfully, without limit and without a mite of self-importance. Francis was famous for his love of all creation. He called for simplicity of life, poverty, and humility before God. He worked to care for the poor. Thousands were drawn to his sincerity, piety, and joy. In all his actions, Francis sought to follow fully and literally the way of life demonstrated by Christ in the Gospels.... [tags: essays research papers]
3040 words (8.7 pages)
- The Biography of St. Francis of Assisi Founder of the Franciscan Order, born at Assisi in Umbria, in 1181 or 1182 -- the exact year is uncertain; died there, 3 October, 1226. His father, Pietro Bernardone, was a wealthy Assisian cloth merchant. Of his mother, Pica, little is known, but she is said to have belonged to a noble family of Provence. Francis was one of several children. The legend that he was born in a stable dates from the fifteenth century only, and appears to have originated in the desire of certain writers to make his life resemble that of Christ.... [tags: Papers]
2129 words (6.1 pages)
- St. Francis of Assisi was born in Umbria in the year 1182. He was a child every father hoped for, he was filled with life, a determined and courageous individual. He was gifted with rather good looks, qualities that attracted friends and a gift of leadership. His father was an extremely wealthy merchant in Assisi. But this son, his favourite, was the one who broke Peter Bernardone’s heart. The boy turned on his father, and in a vicious event that eventually resulted into a public scene. St. Francis of Assisi stepped away from his father, his business and left his father in a state of immense emotional suffering.... [tags: essays research papers]
2952 words (8.4 pages)
- St Francis of Assisi St. Francis of Assisi has been known throughout the world as a lover of nature. In fact, many artistic portrayals of the Saint show him in lavish natural settings, but it was not until 1979 that Pope John Paul II declared Francis the Patron Saint of the Environment. It wasn't until late into St. Francis' life that he was truly able to find a connection with god, who he referred to as the creator, in all aspects of life. "Long before the environment became an issue, Francis saw human beings abusing nature.... [tags: Religion Religious History]
1957 words (5.6 pages)
- Saint Francis of Assisi Francis was born at Assisi in Umbria in the early 1180’s. His fath er was Pietro Bernadone, a very wealthy cloth merchant. His baptized name was Giovanni but it was changed to Francesco. Francis received a decent amount of schooling as a child although he did not show much interest in it. He was very spoiled and did not want to go into his father’s business. He had high status, was handsome, wore fine clothing, and was very well known with the people of Assisi. His city often had brawls with the rivaling city of Perugia.... [tags: Papers]
384 words (1.1 pages)
- Francis of Assisi lived about eight hundred years ago. He was born in the city of Assisi, Italy, in 1182. He was the son of Piero of Bernadone, who was a wealthy merchant. He received a education and seemed to follow his father's footsteps as a wealthy merchant. In 1201 he took part in an attack on Perugia, was taken hostage, and remained a captive there for a year. After his release, Francis joined the army but couldn't complete his time because he got sick. This period of time would change his life forever.... [tags: essays research papers]
367 words (1 pages)
- St. Francis of Assisi St. Francis is considered a legendary hero and a popular saint. He was born in 1181, the middle of a time of great increases and expansions in the medieval West, in Assisi, the place where this was strongest. His parents were Pietro and Pica Bernardone. His father was a wealthy silk merchant. St. Francis spent his childhood in extravagant living and pleasure-seeking. He was always in trouble and ran around Assisi with his friends, eating, drinking, and having a good time.... [tags: Papers]
1039 words (3 pages)