Bernadette was very destitute growing up in Lourdes, France. The oldest in a large family, France’s economy crumbled and Bernadette and her family were left very poor as a result of the economic collapse. Unlikely for people facing such tough conditions, Bernadette and her family were close-knit and devout Catholics, “...the family lived in unusual harmony, apparently relying on their love and support for one another and their religious devotion” (“St. Bernadette Soubirous”). Although her family was close and faithful, Bernadette suffered very poor health throughout her short life. She was a severe asthmatic and caught Cholera while she was young. These events continued to influence her health neg...
... middle of paper ...
...Mary in her order. Bernadette said, “Every congregation is dedicated to the devotion to the Virgin” (Laurentin 245).
Keyes, Frances Parkinson. Bernadette of Lourdes: Shepherdess, Sister, and Saint. New York: Julian Messner, 1953. Print.
Laurentin, René. Bernadette Speaks: A Life of Saint Bernadette Soubirous in Her Own Words. Trans. John W. Lynch and Ronald DesRosiers. Boston: Pauline Books & Media, 2000. Print.
Lord, Bob, and Penny Lord. Saints and Other Powerful Women in the Church. Journeys of Faith,
Pettinger, Tejvan R., “Biography of Bernadette Soubirous.” BiographyOnline.net. n.p., n.d. Web. 12 December 2013.
“Spirituality: Saint Bernadette Contra Mundum.” WordOnFire.org. Word on Fire Catholic Ministries, April 2012. Web. 12 December 2013.
“St. Bernadette Soubirous.” Catholic.org. Catholic Online, 2013. Web. 12 December 2013.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Bernadette Soubirous is the saint of Lourdes, France. Visionary and messenger of the Immaculate Conception, she told us the very words of the Virgin Mary, spoken in the native Basque tongue of Southern France and Northern Spain. She spoke words teaching of the merits of prayer, penance, poverty and church. In the first and most widely recognized Marian apparition of modern times, a personal message was delivered also to Bernadette—She would not find happiness in this world, but only in the next.... [tags: biography, biographical, religious, religion]
1782 words (5.1 pages)
- While a nun, and for a time before, Bernadette suffered great scrutiny and publicity for her visions at Lourdes. Civil authorities such as policemen and prosecutors tried to convince her that she was falsifying the sightings. Even some bishops and priests argued against her. However, as part of her spirituality, Bernadette used the gift of fortitude to stand up to the naysayers. Her faith never vacillated throughout the animadversions of her visions. Bernadette realized that it was a part of God’s plan for her to be the chosen one to see these apparitions, which included standing up to those accusing her of being dishonest (Lord and Lord 219).... [tags: visions, Lourdes, nun, religion, God]
1157 words (3.3 pages)
- Religious Figures Who Defied Reason Through Faith: Saint Bernadette of Lourdes Saint Bernadette of Lourdes is not originally one whom the people of her time would expect to become a religious figure that could see holy apparitions and guide others into miraculous experiences. Contrarily, she was born to a family that experiences hardships and a great deal of misfortunes. Her family loses their money through bad investments and kind-heartedness, three of her siblings die at birth, and her father passes away leaving the family to fend for themselves.... [tags: Essays Papers]
2084 words (6 pages)
- Christians' Pilgrimages to Lourdes I am going to describe what a pilgrim would do if they went to Lourdes. I will explain why Lourdes is a Christian place of pilgrimage. Then I will explain the reasons why some Christians choose to make a pilgrimage and the ways in which they may be affected. "There are more important things for Christians to do than go on a pilgrimage." I am going to discuss this issue. I will offer reasons for and against this point of view. Then I will make an evaluation and include my opinion.... [tags: Papers]
1452 words (4.1 pages)
- “If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles.” (BAM, 2010, p.20) These words were first written down over 2,400 years ago by a Chinese general named Sun Tzu in his famous military strategy treatise known today as The Art of War. These words, in fact the entire book, are just as valid today as they were during Sun Tzu’s lifetime. He was one of the first truly visionary and ethical military leaders in the world. Despite the fact that there is not much known about Sun Tzu today other than his writings, in this essay, I intend to extract his essence from his treatise to prove he was a visionary leader.... [tags: chinese history, ethical leaders]
1950 words (5.6 pages)
- I. Subject The Hobbit is a novel about the adventures of a hobbit as he embarks on an unexpected adventure. The story begins by describing a humble hobbit-hole located in a world filled with magic and where mysterious creatures flourished. The home belonged to the hobbit, Bilbo Baggins. Bilbo, the protagonist of the story, lived a simple, happy life and wouldn’t want to change a thing. He dreaded anything unexpected; when a wizard named Gandalf came looking for someone to go on an adventure, Bilbo tried all he could to avoid joining.... [tags: Literary Analysis, The Hobbit]
2266 words (6.5 pages)
- On June 6, 1943, in Greenbow, Alabama, an unexpected hero was born with a crooked spine, a low IQ and strong legs. Forrest Gump is not an expected conventional hero, however his accolades and accomplishments suggest otherwise. A hero is someone who inspires and instills good morals upon others by their courageous and outstanding acts. Forrest demonstrates these characteristics multiple times during his heroic journey. Whether it be diplomatic ping pong, fighting in the Vietnam War, becoming a local football legend at the University of Alabama or donating money to a deceased friend’s family, Forrest influenced many people with his unselfish and charitable acts.... [tags: Forrest Gump, IQ, inspiration, spine]
1505 words (4.3 pages)
- Mavis Gallant's Bernadette Fear, it has a way of controlling everything that it comes in contact with. As young children we are introduced to this intimidating desire with intrigue and suspicion. As we age, the thoughts of fears become more like realities, ideas of loneliness and death enter the picture as comprehensible thoughts and views of the future. These issues make up the foundation of the Mavis Gallant story "Bernadette". In this story we are presented with the image of a young French Canadian girl, who finds herself pregnant and without a husband.... [tags: essays research papers]
1009 words (2.9 pages)
- Cookie checked the carpet, it was dry. He looked at the clock on the front wall. It was 7:30 PM, too late for most to have dinner. The Puffs always got up early so they went to bed right after dark. He was saddened that there would be no dinner quests tonight at the 'Pickles to Pies ' restaurant. The youth group was so looking forward to their special ‘campfire cook out’ meal, and now it was canceled. It would have been a lot of fun. “Just one little mistake,” Cookie mused to himself. Britney's failure to turn the water faucet off, triggered many unexpected events.... [tags: story]
2085 words (6 pages)
- Unexpected Reward Organized youth sports are excellent programs that every town in every state should offer to young people of their community. These programs help children to find their interests, build confidence, and make friends. All of these things are important in the development of a child. These are a few of the reasons that interested me in volunteering my services as an assistant coach of a Pop Warner football team, The Plymouth Vikings. I coached children ages nine to eleven. I would help them with the fundamentals of football such as the proper way to hold the football when you run, the difference of pass blocking and run blocking, and how to tackle properly.... [tags: essays research papers]
736 words (2.1 pages)