In SQL Server 2014 Microsoft introduced a revolutionary tool called In-Memory OLTP. In SQL server 2016 this is even better. This feature allows users to keep data into memory resident tables(memory optimized) and user may not be aware that he/she is working with memory optimized tables rather than disk space tables . SQL server engine works in different way if data is stored in memory optimized tables. It is not needed to read the pages into cache from the disk when memory optimized data are accessed. However few check point files are created in disk for recovery purpose. It improves concurrency. There are no locks acquired for memory optimized tables, hence no waiting. However there is a waiting to write logs at the end of a transaction. There won’t be any waits for reading data from disk, and no waits for locks on data rows. This feature also allows compiling store procedures natively (Note: natively compiled stored procedures cannot reference disk-based tables and can only access memory-optimized tables).
Implementation Scenario Pattern Characteristics and Challenge Main Benefits of In-Memory OLTP
High Insertion Rate append-only store Contention is eliminated.
Incapability to ingest write workload I/O logging is minimized.
Read Performance and Scale High performance read operations Contention is eliminated.
Unable to satisfy scale-up requirements Efficient data retrieval.
Code execution time is Minimize.
CPU efficiency for scale
Heavy Data Processing Insert/Update/Delete workload Contention is eliminated
Heavy computation inside database Code execution time is Minimize.
Read and write contention Efficient data processing
Low Latency Require low latency business transactions th...
... middle of paper ...
application and the Oracle database when a dedicated oracle database already exist.
Comparison between TimesTen and SQL server 2016
Feature TimesTen SQL Server 2016
SQL language Supports most of PL/SQL InterOp supports most OLTP
Native compile No Yes
Lock-based Yes; row, table, database
locks; choose at
connection level No. Uses optimistic
Integration integration with
Oracle Database Fully integrated with SQL
Durability At database level
temporary database) 2 TB of durable memory
optimized tables in the
Comparison between Oracle 12c and SQL Server 2016:
Feature Oracle 12C SQL Server 2016
Persistence of Columnstore No Yes
Aggregate pushdown Yes Yes
Query on secondary replica No Yes
Materialized views with Columnstore Yes No
Integration with in-memory OLTP No Yes
Batch processing No Yes
Integration with R Yes Yes
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- At the end of September 2016 the first finished build of Windows Server 2016 is due to be launched. This will take place at the Microsoft Ignite conference in Atlanta, Georgia, USA as the two year Technical Preview period draws to a close. Windows Server 2016 will contain a great many new security and advanced technical improvements, leading on from Windows Server 2012 and 2008. This product update will include dedicated features such as Nano Server functionality and encrypted, shielded virtual machines.... [tags: Operating system, Windows Server 2008, Servers]
812 words (2.3 pages)
- Introduction:- The idea of virtualization is by and large accepted to have its roots in the mainframe days in the late 1960s and early 1970s, when IBM contributed a ton of time and exertion in creating powerful time-imparting results. Time-imparting alludes to the imparted utilization of machine assets around a huge aggregation of clients, intending to expand the effectiveness of both the clients and the exorbitant workstation assets they impart. This model spoke to a real leap forward in workstation engineering: the expense of giving registering capacity dropped respectably and it got workable for associations, and even people, to utilize a machine without really owning one.... [tags: server farms, computer technology]
2042 words (5.8 pages)
- Types of Memory “Memory is a way of holding on to the things you love, the things are you, and the things you never want to lose” – Kevin Arnold. Memories are the most puzzling part of the brain. Yet, it’s what makes us who we are, recognizes family and friends, and is essentially the most important cognitive process. Memory, the process of storing and retrieving information in the brain, consists of three main types that all have their own particular mode of operation; sensory, short-term, and long-term.... [tags: Memory, Memory processes, Hippocampus]
894 words (2.6 pages)
- The process of using memory is as natural as breathing yet there is a great deal of processing that occurs to keep us functioning properly. The journey information takes as it is processed into memories is complex and has many stages. This paper will look at concepts for short-term and long-term memory. The two concepts generally agreed upon as existing are short-term memory and long-term memory. As the names suggest, these stores will contain memories for a short period either of time, or on more of a long-term basis.... [tags: Memory]
798 words (2.3 pages)
- Eyewitness Memory Contemporary societies in the United States are comprised of multicultural groups. Each person in these groups possesses different cognitive abilities that are possibly accompanied with distinct mental barriers that inhibit regions of the brain. The difficulties of remembering specific and accurate details of events transpired is a pervasive occurrence for those that have been present while a crime is committed. This is problematic as a person’s memory of a crime committed is crucial to law enforcement officers’ ability to apprehend the correct person responsible for having committed a crime.... [tags: Psychology, Cognition, Memory]
1195 words (3.4 pages)
- Server Hardware The Server Computer The hardware’s in a server computer are very similar to those found in common client computers. However, server computers are designed to perform complex functions using high-grade computing components. These components include motherboard, processor, network connection, memory, hard drive, power supply and video adapter. The computer’s main electrical circuit is located on the motherboard. The other key components found in the motherboard include the CPU, chipset, graphics adapter, standard IDE hardware controllers, networking interface, I/O ports, expansion slots and memory.... [tags: Personal computer, Computer, Hewlett-Packard]
907 words (2.6 pages)
- What is Memory Memory is the information we stored in our brain. There are three types of memory. First is the sensory memory is the shortest term of memory which only last less than a second, it is our ability to hold the information from our 5 senses after we the original stimulus is gone. Short term memory is the information we hold in our mind for a short period which is less than a minute. Long term memory is the information that store in our brain for a long period of time. There are two types of long term memory, which are explicit memory(conscious) and implicit memory(unconscious).... [tags: Memory, Sleep, Hippocampus, Episodic memory]
1252 words (3.6 pages)
- Study of Memory & Learning Gines Misael Ocampo Memory is part of our everyday lives, without it we would not know how to approach new experiences from past experiences in order to learn from them. Memory is acquired information we get from the world called acquisition and the way we keep the information is in our storage or in other words memory. I think it is important to have memory in order to learn and receive new information that happens everyday and remember what has once happened.... [tags: Psychology, Time, Cognition, Short-term memory]
1204 words (3.4 pages)
- Executive Summary The amount of deployed instances of Microsoft SQL Server in the enterprise is on the rise as a database management system. Microsoft set out to provide an effective database management system that meets multiple goals for information technology organizations. SQL Server, a Microsoft product, is designed to deliver scalable solutions while offering ease of use and deployment, self maintenance and tuning, low resource overhead, and low administrator skill set requirements. The seeming rise in popularity of SQL Server has resulted in an upsurge of installations in the corporate environment.... [tags: Database SQL Server]
974 words (2.8 pages)
- Surf Shoppe has recently installed a centralized server for their research and development needs and due to cost requirements they have decided to go with a single centralized server for all of their data sharing needs. There are many reasons for going with a single centralized server system over a multi-server system; the most prominent reason would be cost. Servers and network designing can be quite the expensive endeavor and must be maintained on a daily basis in order to keep everything in top running order.... [tags: Client Server Network, System, Installation]
1518 words (4.3 pages)