There are many different types of performance enhancers today that can be easily obtained by players in professional sports. Lean mass builders are a type of performance enhancer that promotes muscle growth along with recovery time after an injury. Two examples of these type of drugs are steroids and human growth hormones or HGH. Another method of performance enhancement is blood doping. Blood doping is when you take red blood cells out of the body weeks before event. Then prior to the game, match, or event the person puts the red blood cells back into the body. When you do this it increases the amount of red blood cells you have in the blood, which increases the amount of oxygen that the blood ...
... middle of paper ...
Chang, Louise. "Blood Doping: Types, Risks, and Tests." WebMD. WebMD, 18 Apr. 2012. Web. 19 Nov. 2013.
CNN Library. "Performance Enhancing Drugs in Sports Fast Facts." CNN. Cable News Network, 01 Jan. 1970. Web. 18 Nov. 2013.
Farmer, Sam. "Former NFL Player Describes the Pressure to Use Human Growth Hormone." Los Angeles Times. Los Angeles Times, 14 Aug. 2013. Web. 20 Nov. 2013.
Karriem-Norwood, Varnada. "HGH (Human Growth Hormone): Uses and Side Effects." WebMD. WebMD, 11 Oct. 2012. Web. 21 Nov. 2013
NY Department of Health. "Anabolic Steroids and Sports: Winning at Any Cost." Anabolic Steroids and Sports: Winning at Any Cost. N.p., Mar. 2008. Web. 18 Nov. 2013.
Pray, Leslie A. "Sports, Gene Doping, and WADA." Nature.com. Nature Publishing Group, 2008. Web. 20 Nov. 2013.
Wallace, Eric. "Drugs in Sport." Drugs in Sport. University of Ulster, n.d. Web. 18 Nov. 2013.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Performance Enhancing Drugs When most people think of performance-enhancing drugs the first thought that comes to their minds is the illegal ones like steroids, but today there are more non-illegal drugs like creatine and androstenedione for people today. Creatine is a chemical produced by the kidney and found in meat product. It helps muscles recover after a workout, which in turn helps athletes bulk up faster (Gregorian 5). Creatine is used by many of the nations top college sports teams like Nebraska and Northwestern.... [tags: Steroids Sports Drugs Essays]
1760 words (5 pages)
- Famous sports athletes have always tried to get an advantage on other players. By upping their game and performing harder it will allow them to make more money, to win, and to break records. In the world of professional cycling it is exactly the same. Riders use drugs harmful to their health to get and advantage on the competition and these drugs enable the rider to perform harder, longer, and at their maximum ability. There riders us a lot of different drugs to improve themselves but the more popular performance enhancers EPO (erythropoietin), steroids, and blood doping.... [tags: addiction, Lance Armstrong ]
977 words (2.8 pages)
- Athletic Benefits of Supplements The Development of drugs and supplements used by mankind has evolved from what it once was in its early stages of existence. As with all man-made things, it is said that anything made by man can be improved (Moore, p35). With this concept, almost anything in nature can apply. In this case, the development of anabolic supplements and the human body. In the later years, the usage of supplements in sporting events have helped athletes achieve new goals which could not have been accomplished through training alone.... [tags: Persuasive Argumentative Essay Examples]
2754 words (7.9 pages)
- The issue over steroids and other performance enhancer drugs has been a recent topic in the sports world. The debate over whether or not to punish those who have been caught using has been a major topic recently, as well as the legalization of these drugs. When arising the question of whether or not to legalize steroids, many positive and negative factors are brought to the table, and in effect could change various aspects of our normal day lives. Anabolic steroids are a class of natural and synthetic hormones that promote cell growth and division, resulting in growth of muscle tissue and sometimes bone size and strength.... [tags: Drugs ]
1205 words (3.4 pages)
- The criteria for articles chosen was that each piece of research needed to involved the intake of CR, and being physically or athletically tested pre and post ingestion of CR with no other supplementation, steroid, or health related drugs involved. All research articles were double blind with placebo groups to prevent the effects of bias and placebo effects. All research was done within the previous 16 years and a balance of gender was aimed for in order to be unbiased but resources were mainly male orientated.... [tags: supplementation, steroids, sports performance]
875 words (2.5 pages)
- ... In 2002 the Major League Baseball Players Association executive director was asked a question by Senator Byron Dorgan, “Is there a problem?” The Senator know there was a problem because a recent National League Most Valuable Player admitted to using steroids in a Sports Illustrated cover story. The MVP Ken Caminiti even admitted to no regrets for steroid use because of the prevalence in the major league (Steroid Era). The media helped baseball lovers push for more testing. In 2002 the major league players and managers both agreed for limited anonymous testing for steroids.... [tags: performance enhancers]
1234 words (3.5 pages)
- The use of performance enhancing drugs in sports (doping) is done to improve athletic performance. Doping in sports has become a highly controversial topic among professional sporting venues and in the media. With the increased pressure to perform, high priced contracts, increased competition, and advanced training methods today’s athletes will try to gain an edge by any means necessary. Performance enhancing drugs used by athletes today include Human Growth Hormone (HGH), anabolic steroids, peptide hormones, amphetamines, insulin and stimulants.... [tags: Doping in Sports]
2021 words (5.8 pages)
- Sports programs have been an integral part of all schools. They support the academics of the school and therefore foster success in life. These programs are educational and help produce productive citizenship. They help students experience and build skills that may help them in their future, like interpersonal and time management skills. Education may kindle the light of knowledge, but sports help to maintain the proper physique. Sports are also an important means of entertainment and a use for energy after long hours of study.... [tags: sports]
616 words (1.8 pages)
- The debate over the legalization of performance enhancing drugs also, known as PEDs, has been on the rise. Performance enhancing drugs are as the illegal drugs or substances that are taken by athletes to improve their performance. The term doping is used to describe the act of using PEDs. In the recent years many famous athletes have been convicted of PEDs abuse. Among these famous athletes is Lance Armstrong, a famous cyclist who won multiple titles of Tour de France. As the use of PEDs is becoming more common, controversy over the legalization has emerged.... [tags: doping, performance drugs, steroids]
1288 words (3.7 pages)
- Since the creation of Gatorade in 1987 sports drinks have become a staple of American athletics. Every major sports league, including the NBA, NHL, MLB, NFL and NASCAR, are sponsored by and use Gatorade Thirst Quencher. All Sport and Powerade, two other smaller market sports drinks, have limited sponsorships of smaller sports leagues including the NCAA. The question is, how effective is Gatorade and other sports drinks in doing what it they're advertised to do. One has to wonder if the wide use of Gatorade is merely due to billions of dollars of advertising pumped in by the company or if it actually does provide some benefits to athletes.... [tags: Comparing Sports Drinks]
1813 words (5.2 pages)