How many of you have hobbies that you love? Now, I 'd like you to imagine that particular hobby. *Snap fingers*. Well, now this hobby of yours is gone. What are you going to do about it? Cry, protest, and feel helpless? In all honesty, this is exactly how many people who fish for fun feel. Due to the lack of supervision on how salmon farms are doing, it has affected the wild salmon that are the main purpose as to why people fish recreationally. Ladies and gentlemen, my name is Anisha Grover and I’m a spokesperson for the Sport-Fishing Institute of B.C. We’re mainly concerned that the health and population of the wild salmon is being threatened due to salmon farms. However, our reasons for attempting to control salmon farms is due to the fact that recreational fishing earns greater profits than salmon farming, there are more employment opportunities in sport-fishing rather than salmon farms, and the population of sport-fishing has decreased due to salmon farms. For this reason we believe that salmon farms should prevent the negative impacts that their industry has on recreational fishing in order to keep both the industries together.
If you didn’t know already, B.C. is widely known for having a large variety of industries including sport-fishing which is one of the most prominent. Due to the fact that the sport-fishing industry in B.C. has been doing so well in the past decades, it tends to have higher earning rates than other industries such as salmon farming. This can be proven as the recent statistics show that sport-fishing had earned $975 million in revenues, whereas salmon farming had revenues of $469 million (“Our Wild Salmon Economy...”). As you can tell, the revenues ...
... middle of paper ...
...al fishing can only exist with one another if farmed salmon are put off the migratory routes of wild salmon.
Overall, it is evident that sport-fishing is more economically beneficial than salmon farming; the availability of jobs is vaster in the sport-fishing industry than the salmon fishing industry, and the attention on sport-fishing has decreased due to the negative effects of salmon farms. Although it would be better if there were no salmon farms at all, this is unreasonable. In that case, recreational fishing and salmon farms should find a balance. All I can say is that, we humans have a tendency to recognize the value of something only when it is gone. Hopefully, we realize this before the sport-fishing industry is in deep trouble as this is more than just an industry; it’s a way of life and a way of bringing people closer to one another. Thank you.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Deep sea fishing is an exciting sport that many people from all walks of life can enjoy all around the world. When I have the opportunity to partake in this sport it always gets my blood pumping, and I’m as excited as a little kid in a candy store. In my experience deep sea fishing is a sport of patience; one that can teach you a lot more about life other than just snagging a big fish if you allow yourself to see the beauty in it. Once you cast out your fishing line into the ocean, it can take just a few minutes, hours or even days to catch a fish.... [tags: Fishing, Fish, Ocean, Freshwater fish]
1313 words (3.8 pages)
- Fishing in Illinois has been important to Illinois from the first settlement to today. Back in the day, people needed to feed their families and now people have something that a lot of people find as an enjoyable sport. Fishing has also evolved from its former methods and some traditional methods are still used. The equipment has also changed some overtime, but the fish that are being caught have not changed much at all. Fishing has been essential for life to the people of Illinois and has evolved into a great sport.... [tags: Native Americans, Smelly Bait]
2600 words (7.4 pages)
- Becoming a Better Fisher Fishing can be well known for many things. Some include fishing as a competitive sport, whether it be for game or non-game fish. Some include fishing as a hobby. Some may even include fishing as a survival technique that can be used to catch fish for a source of food. Whatever the reason it may be, it is best to always prepare and decide on the location, check the weather forecast, and know the surrounding area. Becoming a better fisher requires appropriate fishing gears, selection of baits to use, and proper techniques.... [tags: Competitive Sport, Hobby, Survival Technique]
1425 words (4.1 pages)
- Fall Crappie Fishing The best fall crappie fishing success regardless of the season is had by realizing crappie always concentrate in areas providing the most comfortable living conditions. Concerning the fall crappie fishing season the transition from summer to autumn is jolting for both fish and also fishermen. Crappie find their world literally turned upside down. Anglers that fish these waters find their target more unpredictable than ever. Overcoming this seasonal challenge will require all the ability, knowledge and patience you are able to muster.... [tags: Water, Hydrology, Fishing, Angling]
1159 words (3.3 pages)
- Joseph Paolo DiMaggio, a career batting average of .325 and 520 extra-base hits, established a definitive role in the game of baseball. Joseph, better known as Joe, DiMaggio was a thirteen-time all-star and a nine-time World Series Champion. He finished his career with 2,214 career hits, 361 career home runs, and an astonishing 1,537 career runs batted in. These statistics earned him a spot in Cooperstown (baseball hall of fame), with all Major League greats. Joseph Paolo DiMaggio was born in Martinez, California on November 25th, 1914.... [tags: sport's legends ]
881 words (2.5 pages)
- Gone Fishing Every year me and my Family would go to Florida for vacation, it is the best the whole family would make it a point to go and spend time with everyone. My Uncle had a condo down in Indian Rocks and that is where we would all stay, it didn’t matter if some of us had to sleep on the floor. We always make sure to go to the best places around such as Crabby Bills, which is a really good seafood restaurant. John’s Past, which is a strip mall with all of these little stores with anything and everything you could ever need for the beach.... [tags: Fishing, Fish, Angling, Recreational boat fishing]
900 words (2.6 pages)
- Shot Put as an Interesting Sport Throwing events in track and field have become very popular with high school and middle school students over the past few years. Shot put is the most recognized throwing event of them all. In the event the participant attempts to throw a metal ball as far as they can. Competitors take their put from inside a seven foot circle into a field marked with boundaries referred to as sectors. Many athletes who are interested in throwing, might enjoy the chance to throw, but do not know where to start.... [tags: Sport, Throwing]
915 words (2.6 pages)
- Fishing – The Best Hobby Work—just the word is enough to make me nauseous sometimes. Look at the definition of the word: work—effort exerted to do or make something; labor, toil. It isn’t exactly the definition of fun. Okay, granted work isn’t always awful. There are plenty of people who like their jobs, and work can even be fun. But for the most part, we all know that we’d rather be doing just about anything other than working. Luckily for us, we don’t work all the time. No, we sleep, eat, drink, and have fun.... [tags: Essays Papers Sports Recreation ]
1629 words (4.7 pages)
- Fishing contains a wide variety of physics. when you cast you are using projectile motion and rotational motion. when you hook a fish it will often use the drag from the current agenst you. Immagine draging a fish through a swift current. You deal with the tention of your line, and the friction of the line through the guides. you also deal with friction when you use a drag. Reels One of the key components of your fishing gear is the reel. http://www.eangler.com/eangler/proshop/reels.asp?shopby=D&dept_id=67&dept_image=reels.gif&pageheading=Reels&JEX=101025 These are spinning reels designed for smaller fish.... [tags: Physics Science Fish Fishing]
910 words (2.6 pages)
- For those who are curious about fishing, but never seem to have any luck, here are a few simple guidelines to follow which will have you reeling them in in no time. Catching fish can be really easy to do if one has the correct equipment, location, weather, and presentation. First, when fishing, equipment is very important. It would not be prudent to bring knife to a gunfight, and fishing is just the same. When catching 500 lb. swordfish in saltwater it is important to not bring an ultra-light fly rod.... [tags: essays research papers]
579 words (1.7 pages)