Mammon is the «least erected Spirit that fell / From Heav’n» (1.679-80). Possessed by a boundless desire for «The riches of Heav’ns pavement, trod’n Gold» (1.682) -- towards which his thoughts are bent -- he already manifests a vertical movement in his heavenly status as he sinks low within the highest realm of the universe. The narrator’s speech transcribes the discontinuity of Mammon’s spiritual rank through the juxtaposition of inversely connotative words such as the sequence least - erected - fell - Heav’n.
Being the classical symbol of greed, he aspires to elevation by means of material abundance. Even when fallen, he persuades himself and his fellow companions of a possible good life in hell provided they exploit its treasures. From thence, directed by Mammon, the crew proceeds to violently abuse the earth who’s centre they «Ransack» and «with ...
... middle of paper ...
... his «Humiliation shall exalt» (3.313). The Son’s Grandeur shall ensue from his submission as the bounds established on matter shall, in due course, allow for the Kingdom of Union and Joy. While Mammon perceives obedience as a divine deception, the Son rationalises it by coupling subservient actions with gratifying results through grammatical conjunctions. Though, he first «Lie[s] vanquisht», «yield[s]» to Death and «suffer[s], he ultimately will «rise Victorious», «subdue / [His] Vanquisher» and «disarm» him. The Son portrays this outcome as inevitable by overusing conjunctions, such as though - yet - but - then; as well as by the repetitive use of «shall», thus expressing the strength of his assertion (3. 234-65). Therefore, temperance leads to the profusion of spirituality as it mirrors creation and recognises the intimate connection between matter and spirit.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- The CHAOS Manifesto 2012 is a compilation of view on global project statistics specifically concentrated on the United States and Europe. The report is based on four Standish Services: the CHAOS knowledge center, DARTS (Demand Assessment Requirements Tracking Survey), Executive Sponsor Workshops and Executive Interviews. Although the manifesto concentrates on statistics primarily whereas, the 2012 report talks about the various success factors of an executive sponsor as leadership plays a crucial role in deciding the success or failure of a project.... [tags: CHAOS Manifesto 2012]
1363 words (3.9 pages)
- Chaos Theory Since its inception, science relied on predictability and order. The true beauty of science was its uncanny ability to find patterns and regularity in seemingly random systems. For centuries the human mind as easily grasped and mastered the concepts of linearity. Physics illustrated the magnificent order to which the natural world obeyed. If there is a God he is indeed mathematical. Until the 19th century Physics explained the processes of the natural world successfully, for the most part.... [tags: Science Chaos Essays]
1962 words (5.6 pages)
- One of the primary works of the Holy Spirit is to bring men and women into a meaningful encounter with the Risen Christ. Guided by His Spirit, we can truly discover Jesus Christ and develop a genuine relationship with Him if we respond with total surrender and generosity. Soon enough, Christ’s love becomes the center of our lives and saturates us with joy and peace. Hence, when we have had a personal encounter with Jesus Christ by the Spirit’s power, our greatest desire is that our loved ones may also enjoy a similar experience.... [tags: Jesus, Christianity, Holy Spirit, Trinity]
1111 words (3.2 pages)
- The Release of the Spirit Brother Watchman Nee is the first recognized Chinese theologian in the west. His books were read by many western brothers and sisters. Yet in Chinese Christian circles, he is a disputed person. For those like him, he is a hero that no others can exceed. For those do not like him because of the controversies caused by his successor Mr. Witness Lee. Most of the Chinese Christians do not want to get involved into this minor issue. They regard Nee as a great theologian and Martyrdom, but do not read his books.... [tags: Jesus, Holy Spirit, Christianity]
800 words (2.3 pages)
- The statement by John, “Baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire,” has an undertone which is connected to a theme which intertestamental Jews held. This idea was not related directly to the Holy Spirit and the work He would have at Jesus’ baptism or in Jesus’ ministry. A question such as, why would an unrelated belief have a connection to the Holy Spirit who was to come in the baptism of Jesus. This belief was the idea that a time of affliction or anguish would take place before the coming of the messiah.... [tags: Holy Spirit Essays]
3145 words (9 pages)
- Here is a checklist of principles and practices that you and your church could run through every few months as a means of assessing your effectiveness in missions: Prayer Prayer is the fuel of all outreach and missions. We must be regularly and deliberately on our knees seeking His will. It is not about asking God to bless our efforts, but us getting on board with His vision for us. Prayer is the privilege we have to unite our hearts to God and His plans. Assess the intensity of your own prayer time and that of your church.... [tags: Jesus, Holy Spirit, Christianity]
1719 words (4.9 pages)
- There have been many influences over the past few months that have bloomed into this lesson. They came as bits and pieces that I either heard or witnessed. While they stuck in my memory, I never really saw their significance until this past Sunday. I was in church and Jay was leading worship when all of a sudden the light came on and there was a complete picture in my mind. If you would indulge me for a moment I would like to lay these “puzzle pieces” out for you in order to support my statement that the Holy Spirit quietly talks to us continually and to also give credit to the people whose words have influenced this lesson.... [tags: Holy Spirit, Christianity, Jesus]
1017 words (2.9 pages)
- Chaos Theory What exactly is chaos theory. From the understanding of many scientists such as Edward Lorenz, Ian Stewart, and Robert May the chaos theory relatively means the same thing. Each of these scientists contributed to the science of chaos theory. First and Foremost chaos theory itself comes from the seemingly half-hazard way things seem to happen in its equations, but chaos theory is really about finding the similarities between these seemingly random events in an equation. Edward Lorenz, a meteorologist, discovered this theory when he was working on a calculation for weather prediction on his computer.... [tags: Science Scientists Chaos Theory Essays]
1509 words (4.3 pages)
- Where Is the Spirit. It’s Friday night at Matthew’s Arena where the men’s hockey team is ready to take on the University of New Hampshire Wildcats and it seems as if nobody is here except for UNH fans. Where are the Northeastern fans. Instead of Northeastern’s black and red, the Wildcat’s blue is overtaking the arena. Why is Northeastern so different from other universities who have thriving traditions and throngs of fans at every event. Is it because our sports teams are not as recognized. Or do the students here just have better things to do.... [tags: Athletics Hockey School Spirit Essays]
1770 words (5.1 pages)
- Richard Hague’s The Spirit of Hague “We’re all angels and heaven is right here,” writes author Richard Hague (24). This sentiment from “Heaven, 1957,” a beautiful piece of prose poetry written about one of Hague’s first spiritual experiences, leads me to this question: What is spirituality. Many people equate it with religion, but in my opinion that is a serious mistake because it greatly limits and eliminates many other possible realms of spirituality. On the one hand, religion is a unified system of beliefs and practices relative to sacred things, which is highly organized and structured, mostly through various denominations of church (Shepard 388).... [tags: The Spirit of Hague]
1310 words (3.7 pages)