In Latin, the Asian shore crab is referred to as the hemigrapsus sanguinues of the phylum anthropoda. This phylum groups animals that have jointed legs, like crabs and insects (John S., n.d). The first part of its name, hemigrapsus, is the genus under which the crab is classified, while the latter part, sanguinues, is Latin for its species name. Hemigrapsus is the term collectively referring to crabs with a rectangular body smaller than two inches that have three teeth behind their eyes (John S., n.d). To be more specific, Asian shore crabs range from 1.4 to 1.7 inches wide and they have a few distinguishing features to set them apart in their genus (Cornell University, 2015). The fact that they have three teeth around their eyes, for one, gives a distinguishing feature between them and Green crabs, which have five teeth. They have a...
... middle of paper ...
...decide on a topic because it involves organisms in relation to their environment, which is pretty important considering a lot of animals’ environments are deteriorating in today’s modern times. As someone who wants to find ways to help the situation, learning about different creatures outside my usual area of knowledge seemed like a good place to start. I will admit that I did not expect crabs to catch and hold my interest as much as they did when I initially heard “Asian Shore Crabs.” I learned a lot of interesting facts just researching the species, like how they eat other sea creatures and actually move into their habitats when they are finished. These little crabs are definitely tougher than they look and that opened my eyes to the realization that no animal is too small to be significant. Even the smallest animals can have really big impacts on the environment.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Rabbits in Australia Introduction Coevolution is a natural phenomenon that has affected all habitats throughout the world. In general, it encompasses the interactions among different species within a general population and the adaptations each species makes to survive in such a diverse environment. The mere presence of all species that are currently in existence is proof that those species have adapted over thousands and millions of years in such a way that allows them to survive and reproduce.... [tags: Rabbits Animals Australian Herbivores Essays]
2977 words (8.5 pages)
- Rabbits are one of the oldest known animals to exist. Rabbits appear in so many places in our history. In fact, these animals are so old that geologists have proved them to date back 30 or 40 million years. Perhaps, the most well known on appearance in history is the legend of the Easter Bunny. This legend is so well known and so well loved by children everywhere, that it is safe to say that the rabbit is a considerably important part of our history. This fact alone proves that the rabbit deserves our attention.... [tags: essays research papers fc]
2553 words (7.3 pages)
- In today’s society everyone seems to have an opinion on everything. It seems the more uninformed one is on a subject the more strongly the feel about it. Occasionally there are those who address issues they are well informed on in a well-organized and civilized manner, weighing both the pros and cons of the side they advocate. Brandon M. Middleton does an exceptional job of this in his article on the Endangered Species Act, where he talks about the effectiveness of the Federal government’s current involvement with endangered species.... [tags: Endangered species, Species]
1423 words (4.1 pages)
- The location is one of the most critical factors to analyze thoroughly because it helps predict whether the sales of the choosing location will be good or not. Although the Boiling Crab is in the growth stage, it still has to focus on new locations that the owner plan to extend to these areas. As I mentioned in the introduction, the owner plans to open the Boiling Crab in four new locations soon. Referring to the assignment2, the benchmarking of successful location may guide the owner of the Boiling Crab to select the location with the same group of customers.... [tags: Marketing, Pricing, Time, Restaurant]
1058 words (3 pages)
- 1. Privet plant and different species of the Asian carp fish depict two instances when non-native species which were introduced in Tennessee causing problems. Privet is a flowering plant native to Europe, Asia and North Africa (“Non-native Invasive Plants”). It has been introduced to grow as a hedge [boundary]. But, this plant once planted can take over the native plants and grow in dense groups. Currently, the Great Smoky National Park crews work up to “550 work hours each year” to remove privet plants (“Non-native Invasive Plants”).... [tags: Invasive species, Introduced species, Carp]
735 words (2.1 pages)
- The earth has experienced many unexpected outcomes over the years. The changes on earth have affected many animals, plants, and ecosystems. Different kinds of species stay involved with the dramatic changes the earth has went through. The past includes climate changes, distinctions, meteorites, and evolution processes. The changes on earth will always impact different species no matter where the species occupies. The changes on earth have led to many species becoming endangered. Endangered species continue to increase and without help, earth’s species will become distinct.... [tags: Species, Extinction, Endangered species, Hunting]
984 words (2.8 pages)
- Invasive species are something I think about a lot, so I decided to research them. Imagine your favorite lake, you go for a swim. While you're in the lake you step on something sharp, your foot bleeds. You stepped on a zebra mussel one of thousands of invasive species around the world. Invasive species are a real problem, a problem worth fixing,and a problem that can be remedied. An invasive species is, according to executive order 13112, a species that is not native and causes harm (1).No matter what harm a species causes, if the species is native it cannot be invasive, It can be classified instead as a nuisance .... [tags: Not Native Species, Harmful Species, Animals]
1105 words (3.2 pages)
- POINTERS ON RAISING RABBITS For Beginners: - Raisers can start with one male and two females - It is best to buy them when they are 2 months old right after they weaned. - Be sure to buy your breeding stock only from reliable sources. - Select your rabbits that are the offspring of prolific does who knew how to suckle or nurse their young. - Pick out aggressive, well develop bucks. - Bucks and does selected should be both vigorous, healthy and free from defects. - Raisers should provide each animals with its own cage, which should be placed in a quite area that is not directly exposed to sunlight.... [tags: Rabbit Breeding Raising Guide How]
1751 words (5 pages)
- Humans are destructive. Not a lot of us think about how what we do affects the world around us. We almost act like we are the only ones on this planet. We go around polluting and destroying our world with no regard for our actions. The things that live out in the wild are paying the price for it. Every day that passes there is another animal or plant that is placed on an endangered list. This is happening at an alarming rate. Because of man’s desire to expand and conquer their surroundings, there are animals and plants that are on the brink of extinction that will not be around for our kids and future generations to enjoy if something is not done about it now.... [tags: Biology, Extinct Species]
2010 words (5.7 pages)
- Crab Nebula Looking up at the night sky you see stars lying on a never-ending dark blanket. It is within this “blanket”, called the interstellar medium, that new stars are formed. The interstellar medium consists of 99% gas and about 1% dust particles. Hydrogen is the predominant gas in both atomic and molecular forms. While being the place where stars are born, the interstellar medium also creates beautiful nebulae. A reflection nebula is created when light from a nearby star reflects from the dust particles in the interstellar medium.... [tags: essays research papers]
1183 words (3.4 pages)
- Characteristics That Can Be Considerate, Dependable, Easy Going, And Being Opened Minded
- Ns The Controversial Issue Of Wiretapping
- Henn An Ancient Art That Comes From The Middle East
- The Narrative Of The Life Of Fredrick Douglass
- The Scene Of The Bath With The Door Open By Judith Butler
- Myth And Realities Of Crime And Justice