The volunteer program would allow me to help the community of Ronald Regan Hospital, as well as gain experience of working in a Hospital environment. I have an interest in Nursing and want to learn about healthcare from a clinical perspective, while helping patients feel better. My interest in Nursing stems from my involvement in an organization called Volunteers of America, which allowed me to be a caretaker for a girl named Maya who has autism; a developmental disorder that affects how she relates and communicates with others, and affects how she makes sense of the world around her.
As Maya’s caretaker, I not only monitored her health, but I became her friend, her confidante and her trusted adviser. The more I worked with her, the more I learned about her personality, health routine, and behaviors, as well as my passion for comforting her and making her feel better. I had to help her communicate with others and teach her skills that many of us take for granted, like starting a conversation or making friends. I also taught her skills to help her cope with stressful situations that would trigger her anxiety. For example, if she were in a loud room that would cause her to become anxious, I would teach her breathing techniques and how to positive self-talk.
Watching her struggle in social situations was disheartening, however knowing that I was someone she can turn to whenever she needed help and teaching her how to become more independent gave me a sense of fulfillment. Working with Maya has brought great purpose to my life because I know I have hel...
... middle of paper ...
... other struggling students. It was not until my involvement in AAP that I felt a part of a community at UCLA. Not only did students within AAP share my similar background, but were also committed to overcoming their personal educational barriers. Seeing other students sharing my educational struggle motivated and empowered me to take control of my educational experience and become a better well-rounded student.
Now that I found a balance as a student, I want to be a resource for others and help them cope with stress and help them find that a community. The nursing volunteer program would allow me to work with individuals who may be staying in the hospital for long periods of time, providing me with that opportunity to make a difference and make them feel apart of a community. I want to be that person that supports and helps others get through rough situations.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Expertise is one of the greatest qualities needed in order to be a great teacher, however; there are several other skills and attributes beyond specialty expertise that makes an effective teacher. Some of the skills I believe a teacher must possess to be a highly effective teacher would be the power to motivate and stay positive. Keeping a positive mindset and motivational spirit in the classroom allows students to express themselves and learn freely. Providing an atmosphere of positivity and greatness encourages students to perform at their best.... [tags: Learning, Education]
1080 words (3.1 pages)
- Volunteers are selfless beings, who are vital participants in societies and give their time to helping individuals and the community at large. Volunteers work with others as a team to make a meaningful contribution to a better community. The VIP (Volunteers Interacting with Patients) program has a local and global relevance by promoting the involvement of people in the lives of communities and of a wider society through its projects and volunteering. This experience has instilled in me a stronger connection and awareness of people in my community, as well as, people in other societies.... [tags: Patient, Hospital, Volunteer, Volunteering]
1060 words (3 pages)
- The tour is open to student enrolled in the Diploma of Sport and Development. This project gives the student the opportunity to stay and volunteer in the USA for two weeks. Giving them opportunity to understand and learn from the sport industry in the USA. From the 25 July to the 2 August 2015, Los Angeles, California will be hosting The 2015 Special Olympics World Summer Games. This event will cater for 7,000 athletes and 3,000 coaches representing over 170 countries, utilising 30,000 volunteers.... [tags: volunteers, skills, qualifications]
1551 words (4.4 pages)
- For my community agency hours I chose to volunteer with the Special Olympics. I chose this agency because my high school always hosted Special Olympics and I enjoyed volunteering every year as a buddy. Going into their experience I did not know what to expect since it was on the weekend and not at my high school as I was used to. The event took place on April 30th at Westminster Christian Academy. It was a long day, but definitely worth it. I was paired with a 45 year old male named Kevin who I suspect had Down Syndrome.... [tags: Education, Special education, Lesson plan]
898 words (2.6 pages)
- Qualities That I Bring to the Teaching Profession Being a teacher is said to be just a job but to me teaching is “an instrumental or practical art” (Arends, 4) to create a more diverse way of learning. When I become a teacher I want it to be more than just a job I want it to be my life and something I’m proud of doing. Creating life and laughter in a classroom is going to be a part of my everyday teaching style. So many teachers have lost what it means to teach because they have lost the love for educating our youth.... [tags: Education, Teacher, Special education, School]
1255 words (3.6 pages)
- Everyone knows that when it comes to making a difference in a student’s academic and life achievements, their teachers play a large role. A teacher’s way of relating to their students, and teaching them to achieve both socially and academically contributes to how effective teachers are. What does it mean to be an effective teacher. Overall there seems to be an emphasis that teacher effectiveness is related to how well their students are doing based on standardized testing. As teachers we know there is much more that goes into being an effective teacher then just teaching our students based on tests.... [tags: Education, philosophy of education]
1369 words (3.9 pages)
- There are many qualities and characteristics a leader must have to be able to succeed in the long run. A leader has an impact on all of their followers. They need to make others feel inspired and make their followers want to lead a group of people someday. Leaders must be determined to achieve their goals every step of the way, and they always need to be strong minded. To be a quality leader one must have many qualities; such as being inspirational, committed to followers in what they are leading, and leading people in the right direction.... [tags: Qualities, Charactersitics, Success, Leadership]
1383 words (4 pages)
- Definition of Volunteer Tourism “Volunteer tourism” applies to those who, for various reasons, volunteer in an organized way to undertake holiday that might involve the aiding or alleviating the material poverty of some group in society, the restoration of certain environments, or research into aspects of society or environment.(Wearing, 2001) Introduction to Volunteer Tourism Volunteer tourism is a combination of travelling and volunteering. The motivation for volunteer tourism is people wanting to help others, make a difference to other peoples’ lives.... [tags: Volunteer Tourism]
1693 words (4.8 pages)
- This essay describes successful practices in volunteer development to help organizations make the best use of their volunteers. In the United States, 44 percent of adults (83.9 million people) volunteer, representing the equivalent of over 9 million full-time employees at a value of $239 billion (Independent Sector 2002). In many organizations, the work of volunteers plays an essential role in effective organizational performance, and thus their training and development are as important as that of paid staff.... [tags: Managing a Volunteer Organitzation]
2013 words (5.8 pages)
- a. Predict how special education will look in 10 years, based on the information in the articles and class discussion. Considering all the articles and class discussion, it is possible to predict scenarios for different categories in special education, that will be discussed thereafter. Inclusion One of the most important changes that will probably affect the education system as a whole is inclusion, which means that all young children (early childhood) with disabilities will have access to regular education (U.S.... [tags: Education, Special education, Teacher]
983 words (2.8 pages)