Essay PreviewMore ↓
I was excited and anguished to be attending this conference because this would be my first professional conference where the topic is all about events! I often thought this would be an opportunity for me to attend this international conference, and have a small place on the map since I was flying in from Nashville, TN. However, I met people for all over the world. There is one person in particular, Jane Yong. Jane was residing at the time in Dublin, and attending the conference to learn more American events. There were many professional that I exchanged business cards with, but I have remained in contact with Jane. And we often exchange ideas at events, job search and weddings!
I arrived in early to take in the sights of New Orleans, and to also get a jump on navigating the New Orleans convention center to avoid getting lost as I transition to classes. The location of the conference was two blocks from my hotel. Fortunately, I did not stay in the host hotel, and choose to lodge at Marriott, which faired out cheaper than the host hotel.
During this week long conference, it opened my eyes to a world on opportunity. I was excited to be able to really dig deep into the opportunity. At the time of the conference, my mind was solely focused on Business and Event management because I was looking for ways to grow my business that I started two years ago. I wanted to find courses that was designed to give me the confidence and tools to meet more clients, garner skills that other personal may not have and explore ways on how to market with a small budget, and there were several classes that were available to help me with this.
How to Cite this Page
"The Special Event Conference." 123HelpMe.com. 18 Feb 2020
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- My personal project will be a report on how to create an event on a budget. I will outline the importance of having an event budget in place as well as outline creative ideas in creating a successful event on a budget. Planning an event can also lack creativity so this report will cover creativity vs. budget in event planning. Marking Criteria • Outlines importance of having an event budget 5 MARKS • Illustrate a broad range of creative and innovative event ideas on a budget 5 MARKS • Outlines benefits and challenges of creating an event on a budget 5 MARKS • Outlining the importance of creativity in events 5 MARKS Our society is evolving at a fast pace.... [tags: Event Management]
2417 words (6.9 pages)
- Furthermore the adequately distribute speaking opportunities in social process describes, “Mix unstructured, informal discussion in a smaller groups with more structured discussion in large groups. Create special opportunities for the reticent.” (Gastil, John, 2008 p.185) The meeting the attendance were staff members’ including, counselors, advisors and enrollment services associate from the admission department. The timing of the meeting was held on a Friday’s in the afternoon the agenda of the meeting was about getting prepared for a conference for the next month for faculty and staff would introduce the new renovation of a new buildings and new degree and certificate programs.... [tags: University, College, Higher education]
1035 words (3 pages)
- farm that was near and didn’t find anything, he then headed back to the conference room. Specialist Irby stopped to talk to PFC Torres, while talking to Torres he peaked inside the conference room and he could see that all of the occupants were now awake and sitting around the table speaking with the Chief of Staff. “Can anyone tell me what’s going on here?” asked Jake. The people in the room now seated around the table looked at each other one of the men that that had on what looked like what had been a nice suit.... [tags: Rooms, Conference hall]
1271 words (3.6 pages)
- There were two service-learning events, approved by Professor Trevino, which I went to. The first one I went to was called Destino Leadership Academy. In this service learning event, there were several workshops throughout the day which taught the attendees something about leadership, public speaking, social media, community building or communication. As the name of the event indicates, the event was tailored for Spanish and English speakers. There were two four parts to the day. The first one was the welcome and orientation to the academy followed by awards and lunch and then we had two workshop track sessions and finally there was a big talk from a special guest and the closing.... [tags: Hearing impairment, Audiogram, Deaf culture]
1315 words (3.8 pages)
- Have you tried planning a large party. Do you ever feel stressed when planning events for family and friends. If so, what types of stress did you experience. Event planners often cause unnecessary stress on themselves from the conditions that weaken their ability for particular tasks. Every type of event from weddings to fundraisers to corporate events, stress is a big factor that is involved. In fact, stress is a part of everyday life. Event planners face more stress planning weddings than corporate events such as conferences because one may over commit one's self, try to meet clients social and personal expectations, and perfectionism.... [tags: Event Planning]
1115 words (3.2 pages)
- My service project took me back to Special Olympics Washington where I volunteered in 3 different program opportunities; Coaching Bowling, Assistant Directing the play for Friendship Theatre, and acting as a college member to the States Youth Activation Committee. I spent roughly 36 hours total this quarter working directly with the local Tacoma, Federal Way and Seattle Special Populations, 12 of these hours as part of a paid coaching program for the Federal Way Special Populations Grade School Bowling Program.... [tags: State Programs, Special Olympics, Disabled]
2094 words (6 pages)
- The ESRI International User Conference 2010 is considered one of the largest Geographic Information System (GIS) conferences in the world, with more than 134 countries and over 6,000 organizations whose staff attended the conference. This was ESRI 30th International User conference. During the user conference, ESRI introduced newly released ArcGIS 10 software and provided training seminars for various ESRI software applications and GIS concepts. The ESRI training and white paper presentation topics included: • ArcGIS Desktop Programming 10 • ArcServer and ArcGIS Configuration 10 • Cartography • Cloud Computing • Data Integration • Geocoding • Geodatabase Architecture • Geodatabase Theory... [tags: Conference Analysis]
1497 words (4.3 pages)
- Aspiring to Be a Corporate Event Manager “In every group of friends, there 's one person who always seems to take charge of party planning. He or she somehow knows how to make sure everyone has a good time” McKay (2015). In my group of friends, that person is me. I jump at the opportunity to entertain; every birthday celebration, sorority function, and weekend vacation has my name written all over it. My passion for party planning has led me to pursue a career in the hospitality industry with hopes of becoming a corporate event manager.... [tags: Management, Party, Event planning]
959 words (2.7 pages)
- It has been widely recognized that meetings and conferences represent a significant part of the processes of management and development in any organization and institution. This concept has been even more emphasized in the field of education and training where agendas need to be designed and implemented so that successful and extremely efficient long-term results could be achieved. As mentioned, faculty meetings and conferences are a significant stage in running and managing educational institutions and organizations.... [tags: Business Management ]
1154 words (3.3 pages)
- 1. To complete to plan Special Event; I and Sungu planned what to do separately. The check list that the team leader sent to us to do. I sent an email back to the team leader about the flyer that needed to print to pass out to all of the houses and who was interested in attending. The next day, I was passed out the flyers. Sungu sent an email to the transporting supervisor about the transportation of the participants. He also organize to make the detail schedule which included an outline of where the activities will be held and what job responsibilities the staffs to help.... [tags: Management, Thought, Credit card, E-participation]
1025 words (2.9 pages)
The first class I participated in was “ The Art of the Schmooze”. This class claimed to give you the tips and knowhow to position yourself in “win-win” situations when meeting the clients and attempting to close the deal. I found this class to somewhat helpful. They really didn’t live up to the course description that it would give us techniques to learn the “art of schooming”. However, it did conveyed to each of us it is more about having confidence in your brand, and this is a skill that I feel cannot be taught.
The next class I participated was in the sales and marketing track. This class was called Brand Conscious or Unconscious. It helped business owners and executives to find their niche and develop their brand. I enjoyed this class very much. It was interactive and relevant to all aspect of being a professional. I was able to hone in on what is my niche and develop my brand consciousness. Furthermore, the instructors offered a free consultation and I was able to get professional opinions on my marketing materials such as my website, logo, mission statement and etc. This class received high marks from me.
Because I wanted to get my monies worth, I took advantage of several classes. The classes includes Reinventing Yourself, A “brand” New Day, Making Google Pay In Your Business, Award-Winning Marketing on a Shoestring Budget, Get Attention for You, Your Company and Your Events and Too Busy ….to do it all! These classes were insightful, and it allowed me to hear the woes and successes of other professional.
However, the special presentations really stood out. I have a chance to attend the Michael Cerbelli’s: Hot Event and Entertainment Ideas. I enjoy that the presentation was given as a talk show, and I even participated on stage. During my stage participation, we were asked to sample the ice cream made high oxygen ice maker. The ice cream was medicro, but it was a new idea on ways to entertain guest. Because of my participation, I won this lovely tabletop book of floral designs.
Overall, the education sessions were great. There was an energy and excitement with each of course that I have never experienced before. However, the next time that I attend this conference I will try another track.
Professionally, I think it help me with my confidence as an event professional. I knew that I have the creativity, but I wanted to have the education to stand behind it. I must reflect, during that time I attended the conference I was in my second semester in the AMTA program, and everything was a challenge educationally. However, TSE reaffirm what I already knew and propel the possibilities that are within this culture of being an event professional. Moreover, through the many conversation I had throughout the conference with several professionals, I know to reach ultimate greatness as a event professional it will take time and the ability to show something new to industry insiders. This is my plan as I grow within the industry.
The Special Event Conference managed and produced by Penton Media, Inc. Penton Media, Inc is oversees The Special Events magazine. Other partners for the TSA conference were Weddings Industry Professional Association (WIPA), International Special Events Society (ISES) and National Association of Catering Executives (NACE).
The purpose of this conference is to educate those who want to learn and experience the latest trends in the events, network with individual across the world and to have a good time. It showed in every facet of the conference of the goal they were aiming for within their mission. Sponsors were prominently displayed throughout the conference. I understood what each sponsor and partnering organization represented and the services that they offered to attendees. Often times, you hear of the sponsor called by name, but not by experience. The TSE conference did a great good in integrating the sponsor’s message at every level.
The TSE conference wasn’t perfect, but the good definitely out way the bad. As an event professional, I was thoroughly impressed by the Welcome Event at Mardi Gras World. Mardi Gras World is the epic center for the Mardi Gras floats and displays created every for the traditional Mardi Gras Festival. I would have been truly happy with just a tour of the facilities because the facility in it of itself was amazing.
I was once told that an event should touch the five senses of your guest as they experience your event, and the Welcome Event did exactly that! New Orleans is clearly a backdrop for having a good time, but from the event professional prospective it truly was top-notch.
However, there were a couple of flaws in very well-planned event. The Ernest N. Morial Convention Center was probably one of the largest convention centers I have ever been in, and it was hard to navigate the center. I definitely suggest that the TSE planning committee provide individual to serve as floor guides and/or have information booths on each level of the where the conference is being held. I often found people running in circles to trying to find the classes.
Lastly, many are in hopes of obtaining their CMP. Since this somewhat serves as the Mecca for event professional, it would have been nice to have known which classes were available for me to use towards my CMP designation.