The year 2005 was the year of birth of the cylindrical solar panel manufacturing company-Solyndra based in Fremont, California. The company’s founder, Christian Gronet had a motive of growing the industry of energy through channeling his knowledge to this company. Based in California, the company played a key role in the growth of the technology as the power to enable the electronics is needed (Wood, 2012). Furthermore, the solar panels acted as one of the ways of supporting the use of the renewable sources. The headquarters of the company was based in Fremont, California USA. Solyndra supported the use of the copper to manufacture the thin film solar cells. The company manufactured and sold the solar that were composed of panels which fit on the roof tops of the building. By placing these panels on low-slope rooftops horizontally, they were able to perform better. Their design, that is, cylindrical in shape ensured there was optimum absorption of the sunlight. All the direct, indirect and reflected light was able to be utilized by these panels-a unique feature that made the company to be competent in the industry of energy. However, Solyndra never made it for long in the industry and the year 2011 became its end mark year in the energy industry.
The management and investors
Gronet has proved to be infamous at avoiding the limelight, however, there were two Solyndra executives whom chose to not self-incriminate and invoked their Fifth Amendment right when they were subpoenaed to testify in front of the House Energy and Commerce Committee. Moreover, inside the documents released by investigators on top of the numerous statements made by former Solyndra employees suggest that Gronet was the single reason of Solyndr...
... middle of paper ...
...e Solyndra case: an institutional economics perspective on the optimal role of government support for green technology development. International Journal of Business Continuity and Risk Management, 6(1), 36-47.
Webster, M., Fisher-Vanden, K., Popp, D., & Santen, N. (2015). Should We Give Up After Solyndra? Optimal Technology R&D Portfolios under Uncertainty (No. w21396). National Bureau of Economic Research.
Wood, R. (2012). Fallen Solyndra Won Bankruptcy Battle but Faces Tax War.
Kao, H. (2012). Beyond Solyndra: Examining the Department of Energy 's Loan Guarantee Program.
Mulvaney, D. (2013). Solyndra, Sand Hill Road, and Shadow Banks: Grabbing Clean Energy Futures in the Great Solar Bubble.
Leonigg, C. D., & Stevens, J. (2012). White House analyst warned saving Solyndra could cost more than letting it fail. WashingtonPost.com. The Washington Post, 1.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- To understand the efficiency of a solar panel, there is essential information on solar energy, that once understood, helps to answer whether solar panels are energy efficient. First, what is it that encompasses a solar panel. Solar panels are made up of solar cells. A solar cell is a small portion of a semiconductor, which is made to reflect as little light as possible. When exposed to sunlight, the typical solar cell can generate about half a volt, but since this is a relatively small amount of energy, the average series has anywhere from 28 to 36 solar cells.... [tags: Solar cell, Photovoltaics, Photovoltaic module]
1992 words (5.7 pages)
- The installations of photovoltaic (PV) solar panels on the rise and this article studied the Levelized Cost of Electricity that is needed in order to make silicon or thin film PV solar panels an efficient return on investment. The year 2010 saw an increase of 250% over the previous year of gigawatts produced by solar power. With the rise solar power is quickly becoming a prime member of the power grid. The reduction in price of solar PV panels and tax reductions have both attributed to the rise in use.... [tags: Photovoltaics, Solar cell, Photovoltaic module]
722 words (2.1 pages)
- In the Valley of the Sun, where cloudy days are few and far between, one would think rooftop solar is a great way to reduce or eliminate your utility bill. This paper will focus on three aspects of deploying rooftop solar: cost, efficiency, and permitting. For those thinking of pulling the trigger on this popular energy saving option please read on. Rooftop solar is comprised of solar panels, an inverter, and a meter connection to the electric grid. Solar panels are made from different types of silicon that produce direct current when exposed to sunlight.... [tags: rooftop solar, homeowner, mantainance]
986 words (2.8 pages)
- When picking an energy resource for the topic of this paper, I bounced around a lot of ideas. Then it occurred to me that I should write about what I will be living with in about a month. My mom just finished designing and building our earthbag, solar, off-grid house, a four-year endeavor. I will soon live in a place powered by one of the most common alternative energy resources, solar energy, so I should learn more about it. At our new house, we have two stand alone pedestals with six 170W panels on each pedestal, making for 2040W or 2kW solar system.... [tags: Energy]
852 words (2.4 pages)
- Microeconomic Analysis: Installation of Solar Panels Introduction The U.S. government has a plan intended to promote consumption of solar energy as an alternative source of energy (Hoover, et.al, 20012). A company known as1366 Technologies has received funding from the U.S. government to establish a plant for manufacturing of photovoltaic solar cells. A number of other solar manufacturers and power companies have received government funding ("under the stimulus funds from the 2009 American Recovery and reinvestment Act") to the tune of twelve billion dollars to establish sixteen solar projects (Glenn et.al, 2013: 374).... [tags: US government plans]
2118 words (6.1 pages)
- ... However, due to the alleged dumping practiced by China, EU will be imposing tariff on $27 billion worth of solar panels. The effect of tariff is shown in Figure 2. Figure 2: A tariff on solar panel imports in Germany After the tariff is imposed, S (World) curve is shifted upwards to S (World) + tariff and the market price increases to Pw + T. This results in a fall of quantity demanded from 0Q2 to 0Q4. However, the quantity that is produced by German solar panels producers including SolarWorld increases from 0Q3 whereas the quantity supplied by China decreases to Q3Q4.... [tags: tax, price, imported, goods, trade]
623 words (1.8 pages)
- A proposed before, the Sustainability centre has to be as sustainable and green as possible. Sustainability means meeting the needs of today without compromising the ability of future generations. So after doing some research and surveys the best sustainable technologies that can be used in the centre is Solar Photovoltaic panels and wind turbine. A solar Photovoltaic panel (PV cells) captures the suns energy using photovoltaic cells. Photovoltaic cells look similar to solar panels but are different and they work in a different way.... [tags: sustainability centre, future generation]
1449 words (4.1 pages)
- “I am between a rock and a hard place when it comes to solar power,” states Ted Hilmes, CEO of KAMO Power. “I love the idea of a clean source of energy that does not deplete the earth’s non-renewable resources, but I hate the fact that if solar power were to take over the electric game, KAMO would have to reevaluate how we make our income.” Hilmes shares this opinion with a substantial amount of other energy companies that utilize fossil fuels in order to carry out their day-to-day activities; however, the popularity of solar power is on the rise—whether electric companies are on board with the trend or not.... [tags: Clean Energy, Solar Panels]
1781 words (5.1 pages)
- The main purpose of green nanotechnology has been to develop clean technologies that would minimize potential human and environmental health risk. Also, to encourage replacement of existing products with the clean technologies that is more environmentally friendly. There are many benefits of using green nanotechnologies as the new solution for energy in both their current availability and their current development. Over the new few decades, the highest growth opportunities will come from application of nanomaterials for making better use of existing resources.... [tags: Solar Panels, Nanostructure, Cells]
598 words (1.7 pages)
- Solar energy can be used in different ways during the construction of houses in order to conserve energy. Solar energy comes as a gift of nature and this makes it even more economical to use in our buildings. It is not only free but unlike other sources of energy; it also limits the amount of pollution caused to the environment. When building our houses the goal according to David Johnston and Scott Gibson is to create a house that consumes at least fifty-two percent less energy than one built conventionally with a corresponding reduction in the heating and the cooling cost.(Johnston, Gibson 252)This can be done through use of solar panels, solar water systems and photovoltaic.... [tags: Environment, Solar Panels, Solar Water Systems]
1511 words (4.3 pages)
- Importance Of Leadership As Defined By Andrew J. Dubrin
- The Creation Of The Sen Code Of Practice
- Death, The Stages Of Mourning And Healthy And Unhealthy Coping Mechanisms
- The Political Ecology Of Disease
- Netflix : An American Multinational Provider Of On Demand Internet Streaming Media
- The Effects Of Violent Video Games On Children