What is solar energy?
Solar energy is, simply, energy provided by the sun. This energy is in the form of solar radiation, which makes the production of solar electricity possible.
Solar energy produces electricity when it is in demand – during the day particularly hot days when air-conditioners drive up electricity demand.
In use, solar energy produces no emissions. One megawatt hour of solar electricity offsets about 0.75 to 1 tonne of CO2.
Benefits of solar energy
Solar energy is not only sustainable, it is renewable and this means that we will never run out of it. It is about as natural a source of power as it is possible to generate electricity.
The creation of solar energy requires little maintenance. Once the solar panels have been installed and are working at maximum efficiency there is only a small amount of maintenance required each year to ensure they are in working order.
They are a silent producer of energy. There is absolutely no noise made from photovoltaic panels as they convert sunlight into usable electricity.
how it is used to generate power
1. Solar Panels
The solar panels are made up of photovoltaic (PV) cells, which convert sunlight into direct current (DC) electricity throughout the day.
This device converts the DC electricity generated by the solar panels into the alternating current (AC) electricity.
3. Electrical Panel
The AC electricity is sent from the inverter to your electrical panel to power your lights and appliances with solar energy. The electrical panel is often called a "breaker box."
4. Utility Meter
The utility meter measures your energy use. It actually goes backward when your system generates more power than you immediately need. This excess solar energy offsets the energy you...
... middle of paper ...
...chnologies." 16 February 2002. http://www.pvpower.com/pvtechs.html (18 February 2002).
Satyen, Deb K. "Recent developments in high efficiency photovoltaic cells." Renewable Energy 15 (1998): 467-472.
The National Renewable Energy Laboratory. "Solar Energy: Tapping into Earth 's largest energy resource." December 1998. http://www.nrel.gov/lab/pao/solar_energy.html (28 February 2002).
Turner, John A. "A Realizable Renewable Energy Future." SCIENCE 285 (1999): 687-689.
U.S. Department of Energy Photovoltaics Program. "US DOE PV Program - Simple Systems." 11 October 2001. http://www.eren.doe.gov/pv/simplepv.html (18 February 2002).
Web Administration Department HowStuffWorks.com. "HowStuffWorks - How Solar Cells Work." http://www.howstuffworks.com/solar-cell1.htm (18 February 2002).
Wenham, S. R., C.B. Honsberg, J.E. Cotter, R. Largent, A.G. Aberle, and M.A. Gree
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Introduction Actually, by solar cells we can change sunlight to electricity directly. Every day, the light of sun hits your roof's solar panels with photons (sunlight particles). These photons are converted by solar panel into electrons of direct current (DC) electricity. The electrons flow out of the solar panel into an inverter and other electrical safety devices. The function of an inverter is to convert the "DC" power (which commonly used in batteries) into an alternating current or "AC" power.... [tags: solar panels, photos, electrons]
570 words (1.6 pages)
- Electricity plays a main role in our world. It's important to know how electricity works and how electricity is created. Electricity could either be made by renewable and non-renewable source. Renewable can be created by itself and non-renewable can't recreate by itself. A non-renewable source requires fossil fuels while renewable does not. My renewable source is solar power and for non-renewable fossil fuel is coal. Solar power is a renewable alternative energy. The sun helps the solar power to produce energy and converted to electricity.... [tags: source, electricity, energy, solar]
558 words (1.6 pages)
- Solar ability to power our future Abstract Solar Energy is the process of using the rays from the sun and transferring the energy into thermal or electric energy. A main contribution to solar energy is PV panels. The Solar panels are found in a variety of locations, but mostly found on roofs of buildings or other large surfaces. The panels are devices used to capture the solar energy transferring it into electric or heat energy. Solar energy is beneficial in numerous ways, including helping the environment.... [tags: Energy Solar PV Panel Electricity]
815 words (2.3 pages)
- The renewable energy industries of solar and wind power have been vastly increasing over the past decade. Which option is the best. That mostly depends on your geographical location. Obviously, because the wind doesn’t constantly blow everywhere you want to be in an area such as the “wind belt”. This area generally consists of the states bordering the Rocky Mountains and stretching into Iowa at its far eastern boundary. Likewise, the sun doesn’t shine much in areas like Seattle and should be focused in more sunny areas such as deserts or cities like Denver with its 300 plus days of sunshine per year.... [tags: solar energy, wind energy, electricity]
895 words (2.6 pages)
- A. Good things about Solar Energy. Nowadays, they think about the economics to how become it rise. Here are some possible answers: If you invest properly in your solar power today and take advantage of Any grants and tax incentives, even if your electric Bill Do not Go up as they are forecast too, you will Get Your money back over time. Well, within the time of the equipment and sooner if there is a rate increase in the future. B. The sun has produce a tremendous resource for generating clean and sustainable electricity without toxic pollution or Global warming emissions.... [tags: solar panel, solar power, sustainable electricity]
895 words (2.6 pages)
- ... They create electricity when hit by sunlight. They are flat-plates that have insulated glass-covered box painted black to maximize the collection of heat. Between the collectors water circulates in loops, where the water is heated, and then stored. These are organized in single cells which are put into larger groups and arrays. Another way to create electricity in PV is to concentrate energy from the sun to heat a fluid or make steam to power a generator. In conclusion, active energy is another type of solar energy.... [tags: electricity, pasive energy, chemistry]
951 words (2.7 pages)
- In order to competently compare photosynthesis and semiconductor-based solar cell's production of electricity i.e. solar cell electricity, they both must be defined. Photosynthesis is defined as, (Biology Online, 2010) “The synthesis of complex organic material using carbon dioxide, water, inorganic salts, and light energy (from sunlight) captured by light-absorbing pigments, such as chlorophyll and other accessory pigments.” According to Thomas gale, ( Thomas gale, 2006), solar cells create electrical energy by converting sun light into electricity by using photovoltaic effect.... [tags: Energy]
869 words (2.5 pages)
- With the call for an ecological conversion imminent, the need to adopt new techniques for power usage is more urgent than ever. As global warming as a result of Carbon Dioxide emissions becomes at the forefront of all environmental issues, the need for a global metanoia is encouraged. The breakdown of coal to create electricity becomes more and more frowned upon each day by environmental activists, the call for a greater proportion of alternative power such as wind and solar is recommended. The question is often posed as to which alternative energy source is leading the market in terms of efficiency, effectiveness and economy.... [tags: renewable sources of energy]
1162 words (3.3 pages)
- ... homeowner uses about $1200 on grid power per year , so when a real estate professional references a home has an electrical bill of $2.20 per month, that becomes a selling point on par with outdoor fireplaces, hot tubs, and low taxes. According to Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory finds that houses with rooftop solar panels sell for higher prices than similar non-solar homes. In overall, that premium more than covers the cost of the panels themselves, with homeowners making a small profit on their solar investment.... [tags: sunlight, electricity, solar panels]
803 words (2.3 pages)
- Solar power is one of the most renewable sources of electricity in the world. The sun shines almost every day, therefore providing photons to power the solar panels for as long as the sun still shines. It can lower your electric bills to a miniscule amount and it’s very friendly towards the environment. Did you know that scientists at the German Fraunhofer Institute broke the world record for the most efficient solar cell. Their design uses a new cell structure containing four solar sub cells to become 44.7% efficient.... [tags: energy, photons, electricity]
555 words (1.6 pages)