Socrates advises the jury that he was probably more surprised than anyone present upon hearing Cherephone share what the oracle claimed. He shared with the jury how he mused over the information for a brief while and then decided to investigate its validity. Socrates surmised that god was god after all and the oracle could not lie. Therefore he sought to question the wisest men only to find that they were not wise at all. He explains how he questioned politicians and wise men who thought they were wise but in fact found they did not know anything at all. He attempted to show them their flaws in thinking however this was met with resentment and anger. Therefore he continued to question one person after another until he realized he was making himself extremely unpopular and only...
... middle of paper ...
... …..This, I do assure you, is what my God commands… and whether you acquit me or not;……. not even if I have to die a hundred deaths (Plato, 1966, pp. 61-62).
Socrates is executed for the charges brought against him proving that the human nature of the tyrannical few is vindictive, petty and sinful. He never made one plea of mercy but rather with his head held high followed his beliefs and convictions. He faced his accusers and stated, “….It seems astonishing to me how you ever could have been convinced that I had committed an act meriting death” (Stone, 1989, p. 187). Although Socrates knew the danger was real, it is as if he preferred death to submission (Stone, 1989, p. 54). Therefore, he endorsed the embodiment of courage and quality of spirit that enables you to face danger without showing fear and stood by his values. He made a conscious choice and stood by it.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- My friend and I went to the AMNH on Saturday and we saw all the exhibits. We went to the Hall of Biodiversity first, and then Gottesman Hall of Planet Earth, the Heilbrunn Cosmic Pathway, Cullman Hall of the Universe, lastly is the Spitzer Hall of Human Origins. It took us three hours to visit all the exhibits. The first thing we saw was a giant clam and on the wall was the name Hall of Biodiversity. There were aquatic animals hanging on the ceiling from sharks to stingrays. I could barely see the aquatic animals because there was not a lot of lighting.... [tags: Earth, Universe, Planet, Human]
1370 words (3.9 pages)
- Earth is the third planet from the sun and the densest planet in our Milky Way Galaxie. Earth has a radius of 3,959 miles and the age of 4.54 billion years. The distance from the earth to the sun has shown to be approximately 92,960,000 miles. The Earth is divided into several layers which have a variety of chemical and seismic properties (depths in km): 0-40 Crust 40-400 Upper mantle 400-650 Transition region 650-2700 Lower mantle 2700-2890 D" layer 2890-5150 Outer core 5150-6378 Inner Core The crust varies in thickness throughout earth.... [tags: Earth, Solar System, Sun, Planet]
899 words (2.6 pages)
- There are eight planets in our solar system. The first planet closest to the sun is Mercury. Therefore, Mercury is the hottest planet. Mercury’s surface is cold. However, in the daytime Mercury can get as hot as 840 degrees fahrenheit, which is 450 degrees celsius. During night time the temperature can decrease to 275 degrees fahrenheit, or -170 degrees celsius. Mercury is the smallest planet. Mercury is the quickest planet to move around the sun. Its speed is approximately 112,000 mph along its elliptical orbit.... [tags: Planet, Solar System, Jupiter, Mars]
728 words (2.1 pages)
- The universe is a vast, mysterious place filled with an estimated one hundred billion galaxies, within each galaxy, there are one hundred billion stars, and an estimated 〖10〗^24 planets. The Milky Way galaxy contains eight planets, one of them is the complex Earth. Earth is a rich planet containing things such as icy mountain peaks, steep canyons, lava, and towering waterfalls. All these things are what make it possible for our planet to sustain all of its beautiful life from the numerous plant and animal species.... [tags: Plate tectonics, Volcano, Earth]
1614 words (4.6 pages)
- The Effects of Human on the Planet Earth Our world has seen a significant increase in the weather climate and there has been considerable amount of changes to the earth’s geological form. Many scientists have come to the conclusion that the earth is experiencing global warming and although we may try to avoid it, it is happening as we speak and if we don’t do something about it, we may end up having a high increase in carbon dioxide levels. Many different researchers and writers have touched base on the topic, but these three articles really stood out and made an impact.... [tags: Global warming, Earth, Hurricane Katrina]
859 words (2.5 pages)
- During Socrates’ life on earth, he challenged traditional thinking in an honest, down to earth way and set the fundamentals of modern western philosophy. However, meletus, a young, egotistical person with the goal to destroy Socrates’ life for “corrupting the yout,” condemned him to death. Conversely, Meletus was actually the person who corrupted the youth for two obvious reasons; he is ignorant and careless. First of all, there was no legitimate reason Socrates should have been brought to court and absolutely no reason he should have been found guilty.... [tags: Corruption, Political corruption, Plato, Socrates]
748 words (2.1 pages)
- While watching the video “Planet Earth Pole to Pole” I have learned many things such as One hundred years ago, there were 1 billion people on earth, and now there are more than 6 billion on earth. There are still places on earth where people have yet to interfere. One of the main reasons this is so untouched by humans is because of the harsh climates in these areas. The sun controls the life on earth. If the sun’s rays are too strong things will not grow and if the sun’s rays are weak things will not grow.... [tags: Earth, Sun, North Pole, South Pole]
1050 words (3 pages)
- The second planet from the Sun and the third brightest object in the Earth’s sky after the Sun and Moon. Also referred to as Earth’s sister planet, because of its similar size and mass. It is also the closest planet to Earth. This planet is known as Venus and was named after the Roman goddess of love and beauty and is the second largest terrestrial planet. This planet is sometimes referred to as the “morning star” and the “evening star.” One day on Venus is longer than one year. Along with all of these things Venus also has a variety of atmospheric conditions, characteristics of the celestial body, including the path of movement and the personality of the celestial body.... [tags: Venus, Planet, Earth, Atmosphere]
985 words (2.8 pages)
- We, all living things, thrive to survive on the planet Earth, but what actually makes up the Earth. Scientists have discovered that if we yearn to test and discover how we are affected and affect Earth, we first need to acknowledge the 5 spheres. The 5 spheres are the reason we are changed by our surroundings, our environment. The 5 spheres are the geosphere, biosphere, atmosphere, hydrosphere, and cryosphere. To achieve the understanding of how we are connected to our planet, we need to explore our knowledge of the spheres, our key of understanding of Earth’s system and how do different spheres interact with each other.... [tags: Earth, Lithosphere, Oxygen, Crust, Planet]
782 words (2.2 pages)
- Beneath the Surface Review I think the key message that the play was trying to convey was that mistakes happen all the time. In this case, the purpose of the main character’s “dig” through Earth was to help him learn how to forgive himself and be able to move on with his life. The opening act of the play started with the main character, Andy, digging his way from Hawaii to Botswana. Over the course of his journey, the audience is introduced to an array of characters that are responsible in helping Andy find his inner peace.... [tags: Beneath Surface Play Review Analysis]
925 words (2.6 pages)
- Analysis Of Kouzes And Posner 's Leadership Challenge
- New Digital Er The World Of Fashion
- Poverty : Poverty And Poverty
- Review Of Winner Take All Politics : How Washington Made The Rich Richer And Once 's Back On The Middle
- Ethics Of Children And The Law
- Google Inc. : An Internet Giant With A Record $ 22.9 Billion