Social workers see people within their environment—as part of a family, an employee in an organization, or a community member. The primary focus of social work practice is on the relationship networks between individuals, their natural support resources, the formal structures in their communities, and the societal norms and expectations that shape these relationships. This relationship-centred focus is a demarcating feature of the profession. Using individual, group or family counseling, clinical social workers are skillful in enabling people to gain an understanding of their problems and in alleviating major stresses that impact daily life. As these knowledge and skill areas are emphasized in social work education, social workers are well positioned to play a significant role as our society strives to achieve mental health goals in the twenty-first century. With this ideology, I 'd like to marry my problem solving, empathetic listening and interpersonal skills to this unrelenting profession for extending help in the face of calamity.
My own postpartum psychosis after having a baby recently, gave me the personal plunge into mental health troubles. Boy was I taken by surprise by the intensity of the disorder, that our family had to realize and reap every bit of help from friends, extended family, superiors at Intel Corp. and my entire community of faith around. Tough times indeed but I got through it with a gazillion therapy sessions(so it seems), inpatient as well as outpatient services from a local community private hospital and the timely help of my excellent support system. I had gained support from people of various sects, religions, and mental abilities during my therapy sessions. This opened my eyes t...
... middle of paper ...
...keep my supervisors and instructors well informed of the statuses of my multiple projects. With full support I 'm receiving from my husband and close family members, I know I can give the full commitment and dedication needed for becoming a social worker.
Becoming a Social worker would not be just a career to me, it would be a vocation. I am positive that the Masters program in Social Work, with its dynamism, excellent faculty and advanced research facilities, will provide me the highest standard of graduate education and foster my dreams to be a Licensed Clinical Social Worker. I strongly opine that the School of Social Work would open new vistas for my future and consider it my deepest privilege to be associated with it. It is with great optimism that I apply to this School for admission and I sincerely hope for an association that would be mutually beneficial.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- ... A social worker should also embody the skills and knowledge to refrain from involving personal morals and values in their professional settings. Social workers have several important values as the base of their profession, such as: Service, Social Justice, Dignity and Worth of person, importance of human relationships, Integrity and competence. A career in social work brings with it many jobs, such as a school social worker, focusing on children and families. Others consist of community social workers, gerontological social workers, medical and health social workers, mental health social workers and much more.... [tags: Sociology, Social work, Social justice]
722 words (2.1 pages)
- According to the Preamble of the National Association of Social Workers (NASW) Code of Ethics, “The primary mission of the social work profession is to enhance human well being and help meet the basic human needs of all people, with particular attention to the needs and empowerment of people who are vulnerable, oppressed, and living in poverty.” Also, stated in the Preamble, “social workers promote social justice and social change with and on behalf of clients, which refers to individuals, families, groups, organizations, and communities… Social workers seek to enhance the capacity of people to address their own needs.... [tags: Sociology, Social work, Social justice]
1555 words (4.4 pages)
- Social workers play a very important role in many situations. Most people can only help an individual up until a certain point then they have no clue what to do to help the individual. A social worker comes up with a plan to help an individual that cannot help themselves. Without social workers many individuals will not know how to manage certain situations. They will come up with an idea that they believe is suitable and move on without thinking about it. Social work has come a long way from when it first began.... [tags: Sociology, Psychology, Social work]
1721 words (4.9 pages)
- STATEMENT OF PURPOSE Social workers see people within their environment—as part of a family, an employee in an organization, or a community member. The primary focus of social work practice is on the relationship networks between individuals, their natural support resources, the formal structures in their communities, and the societal norms and expectations that shape these relationships. This relationship-centred focus is a demarcating feature of the profession. Using individual, group or family counseling, clinical social workers are skillful in enabling people to gain an understanding of their problems and in alleviating major stresses that impact daily life.... [tags: Social work, Sociology]
1229 words (3.5 pages)
- Theory is defined as “…”. In the social work profession, it is not enough to just understand the definition of theory, but rather be able to integrate theory into practice when working to plan interventions at multiple practice levels. This integration of theory into the social work practice is an emphasis of the profession as noted in the profession’s core competencies. Core competency 2.1.6 “engage in research-informed practice and practice-informed research” (NASW code of ethics) is the basis for theory integration within the social work profession.... [tags: Sociology, Social work, Behavior, Dimension]
789 words (2.3 pages)
- The one common passion that all social workers have is the ability to fight for other individual’s human rights and justice. What society often forgets is the fact that every human being in the world has human rights, but everywhere you go there are people mistreated and considered disposable. In a world that has a vast amount of cultures and customs, it is pertinent that social workers become aware of the diversity that exists. Social workers are expected to be culturally competent, empathetic, and sensitive to those that might be different from us.... [tags: Sociology, Social work, Human, Developed country]
1032 words (2.9 pages)
- 1. Understanding of problems and concerns relative to social work: Describe your understanding of the social work profession and the problems social workers address by using one example to discuss a particular social problem and how a social worker could intervene. The primary mission of the social work profession is to enhance human well-being and help meet the basic human needs of all people. Particular attention is paid to the needs and empowerment of people who are vulnerable, oppressed, and living in poverty.... [tags: Sociology, Social work, Social justice]
1914 words (5.5 pages)
- Social workers will face ethical dilemmas when working with clients throughout their career. As a social work intern, it is important to understand the ethical standards of the profession in order to make the best possible decision in regards to any dilemma that might be encountered. Relevant to social workers today, especially in regards to working in a school setting with clients who are minors, there seems to be a conflict that exists between the standards of self-determination/confidentiality and professional conduct.... [tags: Ethics, Social work, Risk, Decision making]
1152 words (3.3 pages)
- Social Workers and Children Social workers are professionals that can help people resolve difficult issues, and improve their well-being and their quality of life. These professionals typically work with individuals and groups of individuals that are experiencing crises in their lives.”( Start a Social Work Career) Social workers are dedicated to meeting the needs of their clients by interviewing them and laying out a detailed plan of goals for them to accomplish. They then help them attain these goals by using the available programs and services that a regular person would never have heard of or known they had access to.... [tags: Foster care, Family, Sociology, Social work]
1167 words (3.3 pages)
- The first occupation I researched was Social Work. Social Workers work with people to help them deal with and figure out solutions to their problems. Some social workers are able to diagnose people with mental, behavioral, and emotional issues and treat them for them. The nature of a Social Workers activities include assessing clients, developing plans, help adjust clients to change, help them research and find government help, respond to crisis, be an advocate, check on clients to make sure they are doing well, and evaluate the services someone used.... [tags: School, Teacher, Education, Educational stages]
1342 words (3.8 pages)