Social Work, Not Just a Career, but a Lifestyle
A social worker, or case worker, is someone who has a sort of passion or drive for helping people. Social workers contribute to the quality of life of citizens and without them our nation would not have the proper support to establish order and relations in society. I plan to graduate ASU with a Master’s degree to become a Licensed Clinical Social Worker. I know...
... middle of paper ...
...oncepts and principles in the areas of assessment, relationships, communication, best practices, intervention, and differential use of self” in her new book (Bisman, C). However controversial the subject may be, it is up to the worker to act professionally, unbiasedly, and compassionately to deal with the matter at hand.
While working on this assignment I uncovered information about social work that I did not previously know. I gained knowledge about the rewarding benefits that accompany the job and the civil duties of social workers. I also learned about the many different titles one can hold as a social worker and all the different career paths you could choose to take. All of the information I gathered positively affected my decision to major in social work. After writing this paper I am now, even more certain that social work is the career I want to pursue.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Social Workers help individuals, families, groups and communities to advance their wellbeing. I am interested in becoming a social worker in a Forensic or Corrections setting as I feel I will be able to connect with people in need of help because of my empathy and experience with youth who were in trouble with the law. Social Workers in the corrections environment help individuals who clash with the law and are convicted with a crime. They can also help the offenders’ family, which I find very important as the family would be strongly affected by the offenders’ actions.... [tags: Sociology, Social work, Social sciences, Abuse]
1012 words (2.9 pages)
- The basis of this assignment was to create a further and more in depth understanding of my chosen field, social work. Social workers aid and support individuals, groups, and communities through difficult times and ensure that vulnerable people are safeguarded from harm. Without them our nation would not have the proper support to establish order and relations in society. I explored the numerous types of social working jobs, ranging from Child, Family, and School social workers, Mental Health and Substance Abuse social workers, to social workers in Administration, Policy, and Research.... [tags: Academic degree, Social work, Sociology]
1758 words (5 pages)
- According to the Preamble of the National Association of Social Workers (NASW) Code of Ethics, “The primary mission of the social work profession is to enhance human well being and help meet the basic human needs of all people, with particular attention to the needs and empowerment of people who are vulnerable, oppressed, and living in poverty.” Also, stated in the Preamble, “social workers promote social justice and social change with and on behalf of clients, which refers to individuals, families, groups, organizations, and communities… Social workers seek to enhance the capacity of people to address their own needs.... [tags: Sociology, Social work, Social justice]
1555 words (4.4 pages)
- Social Workers and Children Social workers are professionals that can help people resolve difficult issues, and improve their well-being and their quality of life. These professionals typically work with individuals and groups of individuals that are experiencing crises in their lives.”( Start a Social Work Career) Social workers are dedicated to meeting the needs of their clients by interviewing them and laying out a detailed plan of goals for them to accomplish. They then help them attain these goals by using the available programs and services that a regular person would never have heard of or known they had access to.... [tags: Foster care, Family, Sociology, Social work]
1167 words (3.3 pages)
- Social workers are concerned with social problems such as world hunger, domestic violence, child abuse, adequate benefits for veterans and much more. The profession of social work is necessary because without it, there would not be people dedicated to helping other individuals in our world. To dedicate your profession and life to one specific problem in regards to the social work field, is something very few have the will to do. Therefore, social workers are necessary to keep the social justice system afloat.... [tags: Sociology, Social work, Social justice]
722 words (2.1 pages)
- STATEMENT OF PURPOSE Social workers see people within their environment—as part of a family, an employee in an organization, or a community member. The primary focus of social work practice is on the relationship networks between individuals, their natural support resources, the formal structures in their communities, and the societal norms and expectations that shape these relationships. This relationship-centred focus is a demarcating feature of the profession. Using individual, group or family counseling, clinical social workers are skillful in enabling people to gain an understanding of their problems and in alleviating major stresses that impact daily life.... [tags: Social work, Sociology]
1229 words (3.5 pages)
- Theory is defined as “…”. In the social work profession, it is not enough to just understand the definition of theory, but rather be able to integrate theory into practice when working to plan interventions at multiple practice levels. This integration of theory into the social work practice is an emphasis of the profession as noted in the profession’s core competencies. Core competency 2.1.6 “engage in research-informed practice and practice-informed research” (NASW code of ethics) is the basis for theory integration within the social work profession.... [tags: Sociology, Social work, Behavior, Dimension]
789 words (2.3 pages)
- ... In that time it was those workers who set the stage for what we now know as the field of Social Work. The social worker may have many responsibilities or functions but one that will always stand out as paramount would be that of an enabler. In the enabler role the social worker works with the client to become capable of coping with situations or transitional stress. As a social worker one would convey hope, reduce stress, resistance and ambivalence, recognize manage feelings, identify and support personal strengths and social assets (Height 1).... [tags: professions in the social realm]
1265 words (3.6 pages)
- In this assignment I will examine the roles and functions of social workers in England and Wales with consideration of current changes in social policy as a result of the baby P tragedy. Firstly I will identify the key roles and skills of social workers and secondly relate it to social policy, then I will describe and explain the core principles and values of social work and lastly I will describe and analyse service user and carer expectations in relation to social work. Social workers take on various roles, frequently acting as a broker or advocate, helping in the support that people require through creative use of all available means.... [tags: Sociology, Social work]
1887 words (5.4 pages)
- Understanding the various theoretical frameworks help social workers perform their job in a way that will not only help the client, but will give the social worker a guide throughout the helping process. Learning all the theories in class has been useful during the process of working in my internship for the program because I find myself applying the theories to my cases. I have found some theories to be very helpful in the field that I intend on keeping them in mind during my practice now and in the future.... [tags: Sociology, Social work, Psychology]
1138 words (3.3 pages)