Social media’s usage in employment decisions has emerged as a contemporary problem in Employment Law for several reasons. The first reason for this trends development is the excessive usage of social media websites. According to a recent Pew report 65% of adults who use the internet have a social media presence in some form. (Hidy 70) With that in mind employers have begun to use the information found within a social media website to obtain information they do not otherwise get on a resume and in an interview. These web pages can give the employer and insight into the true nature of an applicant. However employers need to approach the information on social media websites with care as these sites are easily manipul...
... middle of paper ...
...es, the Federal Government will need to provide legal guidelines on the extent to which employers are allowed to use information contained on social media websites.
Calabrese, Chris. “Password Protection Act of 2012: A Good Start Against Employer Snooping.” 9 May 2012 American Civil Liberties Union. Web. Blog.
Hidy, Kathleen McGarvey, and Mary Sheila E. McDonald. "Risky Business: The Legal Implications Of
Social Media's Increasing Role In Employment Decisions." Journal Of Legal Studies In Business
18.(2013): 69-107. Business Source Complete. Web. 8 Dec. 2013.
O'Shea, Kellie A. "Use Of Social Media In Employment: Should I Hire? Should I Fire?." Cornell HR Review
(2012): 1-10. Business Source Complete. Web. 8 Dec. 2013
Stern, Joanna. “Legislation Would Make it Illegal for Employers to Ask for Passwords.” ABC News. 6.
Feb. 2013. Web. 8 Dec. 2013
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- 3.0: Evaluating business decisions. 3.1: Social media channels. Criteria explanations. Most effective social media solution. The most effective social media solution and tool is Facebook. Through analysing the decision making matrix it becomes obvious that Facebook has topped every one of the criteria and it is ranked number 1 above all other social media solutions. In addition to this, Facebook has the most number of people connecting on it throughout the world in comparison to the other applications.... [tags: Advertising, Social media, Facebook, Mass media]
1387 words (4 pages)
- The landscape of marketing has changed drastically over the years, and the biggest change in the last decade has been the emergence of social media and how it’s usage has led firms to completely revamp their marketing strategies, and how they make their marketing decisions. In this paper, I am going to highlight the importance of finance in marketing decisions, how important it is to implement a marketing budget, and analyze the role of social media in marketing and how it also impacts marketing decisions.... [tags: Marketing, Social media, Social media marketing]
798 words (2.3 pages)
- Results Task 1: Analysis of Scholarly Journals and Articles on the Topic of Social Media Marketing The analysis of the scholarly articles and journals provided a large amount of information on social media itself and the effectiveness of using it as a marketing strategy. In the article “From Social to Sale”, the authors’ findings indicate that television advertising and e-mail marketing have a positive effect on consumer spending (Kumar, Ashish, et al). They also found that consumers with greater privacy concerns are less likely to participate in a company’s social media site.... [tags: Social media, Marketing, Facebook]
813 words (2.3 pages)
- Employers have to be aware of the many types of social media platforms and their uses. The main types of social media platform functions are listed in the table above and have few examples to give an idea of the many different ways social media is used. When searching out employees and potential employees social media sites, employers must be aware that there is a vast amount of sites that are available to people to use to express themselves. The majority of social media sites today connect to one another, once an employer finds one the employees’ social media profiles, it is often easy to connect to the myriad other accounts and profiles.... [tags: Employment, Social media, Bullying]
1000 words (2.9 pages)
- Social Media Since its inception, the Internet has become a place where businesses can tailor their messages to fit the expectations and desires of consumers and those messages can be sent to a mass of people at the drop of a hat. W. Glynn Mangold and David J. Faulds (2009) argue the Internet is now one of the top sources for media at home and at work, reaching more than half of the people in the United States. Additionally, the internet has caused people to turn away from traditional streams of advertising in the form of radio, television, magazines, and newspapers.... [tags: Marketing, Social media]
2458 words (7 pages)
- Over the last ten years social media usage has increased, due to new websites that are constantly emerging and pulling in more people. People that use social media check it daily to see what is being said, liked and commented on their posts. People are using social media, so they can feel more involved. They want to connect with others to see what everyone is saying and doing. Some people use social media to keep in contact with their family and friends. While others use social media to express their opinion or taunt others.... [tags: Bullying, Abuse, Suicide, Social media]
1210 words (3.5 pages)
- Explore the role of Social media/networking in marketing Marketing is defined as ‘the activity, set of institutions, and processes for creating, communicating, delivering, and exchanging offerings that have value for customers, clients, partners, and society at large’ (American Marketing Association July 2013). With the emergence of social media as an integral part of everyday life, marketing has also adapted to use this tool to gain their products wider recognition as they attempt to use this vast amount of information to their own benefit.... [tags: Marketing, Social media, Advertising, Twitter]
2205 words (6.3 pages)
- It’s no secret that the internet and social media have become a dominant part of our civilization. There are 2,495,518,376 people internet users worldwide. In addition to that a colossal 70% of them use the internet on a daily basis. On average, that 70% will also spend 3.2 hours daily on social media, such as Instagram, Tumblr, Google+ and YouTube. Since there are so many people using social media, how do you get noticed. In this Ted Talk, Alexis Ohanian who is a co-founder of Reddit.com a “democratic front page of the best things on the internet”.... [tags: social media, internet, reddit]
560 words (1.6 pages)
- Most students are exposed to pictures of their friend drinking using drugs or passing out on social networks before they graduate. Students that are exposed to such types of images are highly likely to consume alcohol and also it is highly probable that they will use marijuana. Just as disturbingly, these students are also able to access mind altering substances which include prescription drugs which are more readily than individuals that do not use social media (Lenhart, Madden, Smith, and Macgill, 2009).... [tags: Social media, Social network service, MySpace]
907 words (2.6 pages)
- A prevailing issue plaguing the idea of how social media affects youth is the easy accessibility, which can often lead into a dependence or addiction. It’s not uncommon these days to see people constantly focused or even just holding their phones. Cell phones, with the ability to instantly message someone, receive email, and connect to people on the other side of the world, would be considered a miracle if it weren’t for the steady growth of technology that makes the shine something a little more common place.... [tags: Sociology, Social media, Body image]
1407 words (4 pages)