As journalists’ we have had to modify traditional media to web-based newspapers and learn to produce live information regarding situations. Technology has not only changed the traditional practices of journalist but has challenged strategic communication methods as well. Individuals in the public relations field, as well as in advertising, have stretched their creativity to new levels in order to reach an audience consumed with technology.
This paper will give examples of social media platforms that strategic communicators, such as those in public relations, advertising, and marketing, have used to reach audiences in new ways. It will also discuss ways these communicators are measuring their effectiveness and any issues that come with those measures.
According to a study conducted published by Business Horizaons, “consumers like to network with people who have interests and desires that are similar to their own. Organizations can leverage this desire by creating communities of like-minded individuals” (Mangold & Faulds, 2009, p. 361). As strategic communicators, it’s important to find ways to create these communities that encourage engagement and interaction with consumers.
Important Social Media Tactics:
Researchers Mangold and Faulds cover the concept of social media being a new asset to promotion in their 2009 study. They refer to social media as, “the new hybrid element of the promotion mix” (Mangold & Faulds, 2009, p.357). Sites such as Myspace, Livejournal and Xanga were some of the starting forces of social media. Since their start, they have faded into the background of a world that is run by newer sites such Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and the large database of blogs that cover all kinds of topi...
... middle of paper ...
...Edition, 5, 57-74.
Mangold, W.G., & Faulds, D.J., (2009). Social media: The new hybrid element of the promotion mix. Business Horizaons, 52, 357-365. doi: 10.1016/j.bushor.2009.03.002.
Sago, B. (2013). Factors influencing social media adoption and frequency of use: An examination of Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Google+. International Journal of Business and Commerce, 3, 1-14.
Veil, S.R., Buehner, T., & Palenchar, M.J. (2011). Awork-in-process literature review: Incorporating social media in risk and crisis communication. Journal of Contingencies and Crisis Management, 19, 110- 122. doi: 10.1111/j.1468-5973.2011.00639.x.
Vela, S.P., Martinez, I.G., & Reyes, L.F.L. (2012). Understanding risks, benefits, and strategic alternatives of social media applications in the public sector. Government Information Quarterly, 29, 504-511. doi: 10.1016/j.gip.2012.07.002.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Introduction The number of revolutions in the last 3 decades has increased, and seems to keep increasing. Civil unrest and protests brought many victims including civil and political figures throughout the world. In the era where technology is at the peak of its success, especially in communication technologies, mankind suffers from lack of communication. Problem is not caused by the technology itself, the problem is in human nature. I will continue with an analogy. Man invented the knife, which is very useful tool in our daily lives.... [tags: Social Media Essays]
3253 words (9.3 pages)
- Introduction Technology has transformed the world as we know it and our lives at present are considerably different than our ancestors. The use of electronic devices and especially with combination of internet has become almost a necessity. Over the past decade, internet usage has been significantly influenced by the use of social media and it radically transformed the use of internet. Understanding the impact of social media on personal, social and also institutional level can utilize it efficiently.... [tags: Social Media Marketing]
1313 words (3.8 pages)
- Increasing number of Facebook “likes” is the important social media’s version of building subscribers to our list of services. One of the famous Facebook specialist allfcebook.com states that for them Facebook are in twice compared to the list of email list. Steve gaither from JB Chicago reports that conversion rates of Facebook and twitter are very powerful one compared to other social media marketing campaigns. Conversion rate of Facebook and Twitter These are the summery of JB Chicago founded from their campaigns.... [tags: networking, popularity, social Media]
584 words (1.7 pages)
- Science has invented many technologies today, which have made global village. We can see that people use vary types of social media blogs in their day to day life, which has removed distance from one place to another place. Even they use these blogs to expand business, which avails to get profit in short time without rush in their daily lives. Big company can easily reach to consumer and sell their products and get more profits. In addition to this International Company, they use blogs like Twitter, Facebook to advertise their products.... [tags: social media, blogs, platforms]
558 words (1.6 pages)
- Introduction Using social media to market an organisation has become more common and integral to a success of a brand, product, and company. Social media strategies are used by many organisations, but how do you know if they are successful and worth your time and money. A social media’s success can be tracked quantifiable using metrics (Gold). There are hundreds of social media and web metrics that can be used to determine if a social media campaign is successful, but a few are key and should be monitored at all times (Chitwood).... [tags: technology, social media]
1834 words (5.2 pages)
- Geek uses various social media sites to lead his fellow Egyptian’s in revolt over their fellow citzens in office. Yes, that comical statement is as true and real as the air one breaths. Wael Ghonim is a 30 year old Arab man with profound abilities when it comes to technology. As the head of Google’s marketing for the Middle East and North Africa, one can perceive how much potential and success this young man harbors. Naturally one would assume that he would not let himself become engrossed in political affairs, but be consumed with only financial and personal gain.... [tags: greek, social media]
1784 words (5.1 pages)
- Social networking sites like Facebook and Twitter allow you to find and connect with just about anyone, from old high school friends to co-workers and neighbors. Participating in social media sites such as these can make you feel more connected, but such an easy, casual connection in an electronic environment can also have its downside. First of all sites like Facebook promote sharing details of our lives with one another. Posts can range from a simple update on what shows someone is watching, cooking for dinner, or pictures of you and your friends having drinks and doing shots at a local bar.... [tags: Social Networking, Social Media]
374 words (1.1 pages)
- Brian Dunn the CEO of Best Buy learned a difficult lesson using social media as a communication tool (Robbins, Decenzo, & Coulter, 2013). What started as a great tool to communicate with his employees turned into a disaster. Brian Dunn’s twitter account was hacked by someone logging on as him and sent inappropriate messages to all his connections. These devastating incidents can ruin companies and cause employees to question their leadership. Problems with social media can be as small as a miss spelled word, to a customer posting negative comments about a company for the world to read.... [tags: social media, communication]
940 words (2.7 pages)
- For the purpose of this essay, new or social media can be defined as the participatory online media that create and spread information in a democratic and collaborative manner. Social media uses technological tools and applications that enable people to connect and share opinions, news, and knowledge. A few prominent examples of social media applications are Wikipedia (reference), MySpace and Facebook (social networking), YouTube (video sharing), Second Life (virtual reality), Digg (news sharing), Flickr (photo sharing) and Sharenow (media sharing).... [tags: Communication Media Technology]
1508 words (4.3 pages)
- Social media platforms continue to pose an essential tool to utilize in a company or business. When it comes to choosing which platform is right and one that will be utilized to its fullest, select those that offer potential for reaching a specific target audience. It takes a lot of teamwork, time and resources to be able to obtain each platform to its fullest potential. In order to be successful, make sure to prepare and follow through in at least a few best practices for social media so you are not overwhelmed with each platform and are able to be successful in those particular practices.... [tags: Organizations, Businesses, Social Media, Market]
1631 words (4.7 pages)