The web is no longer a read only product, it now has the ability to be interactive and particpatory. Users are able to interact over the internet with each other with instant messaging and emails and use social networks to share news, videos, and photos with others, bringing people with common interest, opinions, and experiences together and closer. Some of the most popular social networks include Facebook, MySpace, and LinkedIn. Currently social networks are mostly used to keep in touch with friends, colleagues, peers and family, there are far more benefits, that the social media platform can provide. This paper explores the topic of social media in modern education. There are benefits and disadvantages to social media being used in the classroom setting, and they are discussed in detail through the paper.
Social Media Network Technology in Education
To determine if social media network technology in education is or will be successful we need to determine what success is. What are the intended goals of using the social network technology in education? Currently I believe that the goals include initiating new ways of learning, learners sharing work, a general location for collecting resrouces, and a new way of conducting group work. With the goals of the social media technology in mind lets look at what social media is doing currently.
Advantages to the use of Social Network Technology
After reading all the uses of social media in the educational environment it was determined that any of the uses could be used in an e-learning environment. Social media allows for collaborative learning while providing the ability to capture and record discussions during group activities. As we m...
... middle of paper ...
..., Behavior & Social Networking, 14(5), 275-280.
Minocha, S. (2009). A study on the effective use of social software by further and higher education in the UK to support student learning and engagement. In JISC Final Report (pp. 1-115). Retrieved from http://kn.open.ac.uk/public/workspace/cfm?wpid=8655 (Original work published 2009)
Moran, M., Seaman, J., & Tinti-Kane, H. (2011). Teaching, learning, and sharing; How today's higher education faculty use social media. Babson Survey Research Group.
Rdouan, F., Abdeliatif, E. A., & Raddouane, C. (2013). Exploring the potential benefits of using social media in education. International Journal of Engineering Pedagogy, 3(4), 50-53.
University of British Columbia. (2014, January 14). Digital tattoo curriculum / university students. Retrieved February 2, 2014, from Digital Tattoo Project website: http://digitaltattoo.ubc.ca/
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Social Media and Technology Integrated Into Society Do people actually believe that their lives haven’t been affected by social media, because it has. Social media has integrated into peoples lives more than realized. Social media involves social interactions, using highly accessible and sizeable publishing techniques, and is addicting to the public. Social media plays a very important role and has respectfully influenced people virtually in every aspect of their lives. Media is considered to be one of the most influential sources to know what’s happening in the world.... [tags: Facebook, Social network aggregation]
1543 words (4.4 pages)
- Social media takes over Media has been there for a long time. It is a source of information, leaking out news throughout newspapers, television, radio, Internet, websites. Media’s aim is to reach out to people, keeping them updated to news, but also advertising. With the world moving forward, technology development and the Internet, new medias have derived: social medias. Social media is, by definition, a way for people to communicate, socialize, share information, and reach out to others through social media networking websites.... [tags: technology advancements, network]
2538 words (7.3 pages)
- It is not uncommon to see so many students with their heads down as they walk through the hallways of various university and college campuses in Alberta staring at little seven inch pieces of glass and technology in their hands. These days, watching someone walking into a door or wall because they were staring at a piece of technology can make you “Internet-famous”, all because they simply weren’t paying attention and most likely watching someone else do it. But has technology and the online world of social media gone too far.... [tags: Mobile phone, Addiction, Cellular network, IPhone]
1160 words (3.3 pages)
- Is technology bad or good. In a modern society when technology is developed so quickly, and it helps us contact everyone much easier, but there is a big issue that we can recognize easily. People are dependent on technology so much. People tend to focus on technology stuff with their social network than to talk to others who present in front of them, technology makes people less sociable, and ruins the connection between them, and it creates the isolation. People are dependent on technology to do their things in daily life.... [tags: Facebook, Social media, Social network]
961 words (2.7 pages)
- Facebook has become a global commodity interconnecting cultures, services, marketing and social lives. The social network is the most popular social network site (SNS) around the world, especially among young people in western countries. It enables users to bond with individuals, share information, including discussions of personal interest (Schwartz 2009). Users can send e-mail messages, chat with text or face to face, participate in discussion forums, and write on virtual message boards, wishing happy birthdays, or making cheerful remarks.... [tags: social network, Mark Zuckerberg, culture]
1456 words (4.2 pages)
- Haylee Sopher Mr. Olson Freshman Comp, 3 October, 2016 The Effects of Social Network on My Life Billions of people around the world are using social media every day. The number will continue to grow as social networking industries continue to expand. It’s safe to say that social networking has taken over a great deal in today’s world. It’s crazy to think that just a decade ago, social networks were just being founded. A lot of people didn’t see the point in social networks coming out, such as Facebook and Twitter until a few years later.... [tags: Twitter, Social media, Social network service]
767 words (2.2 pages)
- Social media and other online tools have connected people all over the world and allowed them to share, create, and spend time with others in more ways than ever before, regardless of distance. Social media and other similar online sharing tools were created so that people could have conversations, share pictures, videos, music, join communities, connect with friends and family, and form new relationships. Everything from sending messages to online games and chat rooms have been able to connect family members and friends from the comfort of each’s own living rooms, even if they are on separate ends of the globe.... [tags: Social network service, Facebook]
1432 words (4.1 pages)
- In the world we live in today there is two different interpretations for social network. The word social means socializing or talking with others and the word network means a group or system of interconnected people. While the definition of these two word separately remain the same, when they are put together it brings on two different meanings. Some people think that social network is the personal connection that is made with others thru verbal communication and it establishes a link that attaches one person with another.... [tags: Social network service, Social media, Facebook]
970 words (2.8 pages)
- At this day in age, technology has become a huge part of the way we live our everyday life. Back in the day, it was difficult at times to connect with friends and family, but now thanks to social media it’s much easier. We are now able to share and catch up with people even on the other side of the world with just the click of a mouse. It’s no wonder platforms like Facebook have become so popular. Most people love the idea of being able to see what 's going, on in the life of their loved ones from the computer screen.... [tags: Facebook, Social network service, Social media]
1059 words (3 pages)
- The New Media Age has brought about a wealth of technological innovations from the smartphone to online social media platforms. These creations have changed the way many people conduct their daily lives, but it has also changed the way the world faces privacy. New technologies make the spread of information astonishingly easy. As information is more readily available to a vast online audience, there is growing concern for the protection of people’s private information. Yet these technologies offer a number of limitations ranging from ownership of information to the ability to circumnavigate privacy systems that diminish privacy to a mere concept left to be desired, in turn altering the perce... [tags: Social media, Facebook, Social network]
1126 words (3.2 pages)