First, social media sites would greatly improve student writing and communication skills. When most students hear the word “essay,” their eyes roll and their minds go blank. The word “essay,” itself frightens students who otherwise feel comfortable with writing. In fact according to some sources,”Teens who enjoy expressing their thoughts and feelings in writing often spend their time blogging, or updating online journals” ("How Online Social Networks are Used"). If students are already writing online, shouldn't teachers be able to use social media instead of boring essays to teach writing? Since teach...
... middle of paper ...
...al media during the school day.
Davis, Michelle R. "Social Networking Goes to School." Education Week: Digital Directions. Editorial Projects in Education, 14 June 2010. Web. 4 May 2014.
"How Online Social Networks are Used." Online Social Networks. Laurie Collier Hillstrom. Detroit: Lucent Books, 2010. 48-61. Technology 360. Student Resources in Context. Web. 4 May 2014.
Morgan, Hani. "Enhancing instruction and communication with Twitter." Childhood Education 90.1 (2014): 75+. Student Resources in Context. Web. 4 May 2014.
Tarantino, Kristen, Jessica McDonough, and Ma Hua. "Effects of Student Engagement with Social Media on Student Learning: A Review of Literature." The Journal of Technology in Student Affairs Summer (2013): n. pag. Effects of Student Engagement with Social Media on Student Learning: A Review of Literature. 2014. Web. 04 May 2014.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- With the advancement in technology, everyone and everywhere is using social media or social networking sites to interact with other people. In this technological world, communication has grown very fast due to this social media. Nowadays, there is no issue of long distance; they can communicate with people across the world. There are so many social networking sites which can be used like Twitter, Facebook, WhatsApp, Instagram, Skype etc., not only to keep in touch with family members or relatives, but for business purposes.... [tags: Twitter, Social media, Social network service]
754 words (2.2 pages)
- ... A real audience forces most students to reconsider how they word their ideas. To avoid looking illiterate, most students will consult their teacher or a grammar and usage book to make sure they are adhering to good grammar guidelines. By writing online students feel motivated to do their best. For example, George Mayo, a Maryland middle school 8th grade teacher, found this to be the case. According to Morgan,“Mayo remarked that the level of motivation in his class soared when his students found out that pupils as far away as China were participating.” Therefore, social media can writing by motivating students to do their best.... [tags: communication technology as a teaching tool]
890 words (2.5 pages)
- Jackie Aina is a beauty guru who has established herself as a self-made business woman through YouTube. She inspires her viewers with her tips and tricks about makeup, hair, fashion and even her lifestyle hacks. Jackie describes herself as “Changing the standard of beauty, one video at a time”, her purpose for starting her YouTube channel. She joined the YouTube community in March of 2012. To this day she has grossed an estimated 900,000 subscribers with 56 million views on her channel. Not only does she have a substantial following on YouTube, but also, Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, and Snapchat.... [tags: YouTube, Google, User-generated content]
1188 words (3.4 pages)
- Various social networking services have achieved enormous success at the first decade of the 21st century. Up to 2010, more than 500 million users globally have been regularly using Facebook (Kirkpatrick, 2010, 2). For this purpose in this essay, social networking site is defined as an online platform where socially related users can communicate and share information with each other, such as Facebook, Twitter, Myspace and Renren. It has long been a question that whether these services brought more benefits than negative effect to the community.... [tags: Facebook, marketing tool, Twitter, social media]
1019 words (2.9 pages)
- In today 's world, print ads are a dying form of advertising. A new form of marketing is beginning to sweep over consumers: social media. Social media is quickly becoming essential for businesses, leaving print ads and television commercials in the dust. With the rise of importance in social media, companies have been able to adapt and integrate this technology to improve their marketing and advertising. Companies have improved their marketing using social media by reaching more consumers in different ways, reaching their specific target audience more efficiently and maintaining closer relationships with their customers Social media is a phenomenon unlike any other in its ability to grow a... [tags: Advertising, Social media, Marketing, Mass media]
1185 words (3.4 pages)
- Sometimes the best way to see if your business needs help with social media is to get your hands dirt with a social media evaluation. Although you might not be a social media expert...yet, you can still use these questions to see how to improve your presence. 1) See what social media channels your business is already on. Every business, even B2b, should have a Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn. These are the most popular social networks and having a presence on these channels is necessary for your business 's reputation.... [tags: Social media, Social network service]
725 words (2.1 pages)
- Introduction Using social media to market an organisation has become more common and integral to a success of a brand, product, and company. Social media strategies are used by many organisations, but how do you know if they are successful and worth your time and money. A social media’s success can be tracked quantifiable using metrics (Gold). There are hundreds of social media and web metrics that can be used to determine if a social media campaign is successful, but a few are key and should be monitored at all times (Chitwood).... [tags: technology, social media]
1834 words (5.2 pages)
- 3. Take Full Advantage of Social Media Platforms like Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest are vital to the continued success of your website. Take advantage of every opportunity to share your content on these platforms, and share often. Keep in mind that social media feeds move at an incredibly fast pace and because of that, you’ll want to maintain a constant presence so that your content isn’t buried and lost. Find new ways to repurpose old content to represent to your audience regularly on social media.... [tags: Social media, Twitter, Mass media, Blog]
1312 words (3.7 pages)
- Today, social media feels like it has been around forever, but it’s only been a little over a decade. Many companies grow their organizations using social media. There is so much involved that many don’t realize the effect it has on an organization. Learning how different people use social media can have a positive effect on business when it comes to customer interaction, timeliness of responses, and promotions. The very first social media site was called Six Degrees and was invented in 1997 (The History of Social Media, 2015).... [tags: Social media, Communication, Facebook, Twitter]
1210 words (3.5 pages)
- Introduction With the technological advance, social media is in its golden era. It becomes a huge hub for expressing ideas and promoting rapid communication. The world goes crazy with social media and rapidly participates in this hot communicating trend. This turns social media into the vast broadcasting tool that corporations try to use as new propaganda channels. That mindset leads to huge investment on social media activities. Small business, medium companies, even big corporations gradually go online.... [tags: Corporation, Business, Sociology, Social media]
1479 words (4.2 pages)
- The Amazing Country of Colombia
- The Pros and Cons of Profiling by Law Enforcement
- Genetically Modified Foods Cause Autism
- The Bell Jar, by Sylvia Path and Lucy, by Jamaica Kincaid
- The Five I's of of Transcendentalism in the Modern Day
- Zora Neale Hurston vs Langston Hughes on the African American Dream