When searching out employees and potential employees social media sites, employers must be aware that there is a vast amount of sites that are available to people to use to express themselves. The majority of social media sites today connect to one another, once an employer finds one the employees’ social media profiles, it is often easy to connect to the myriad other accounts and profiles.
While the United States has not opened up much of their legal regulations to the issues of social media, other countries have already begun to put regulations on social media. In Elefant’s journal article, she states, “Social media has become so pervasive that courts in Australia, New Zealand, and Canada have allowed service of a lawsuit via Facebook, with one commentator predicting that the United States will soon follow suit. In this context, regulatory requirements that utilities provide customer information through social media are a logical step” (Elefant).
Myer’s pushes the importance of the National Labor Regulations Board’s (NLRB) guidelines for social media, “This knowledge of employee management is essential for corporate managers, including in-house public relations practitioners. Understanding the parameters the National Labor Relations Act (NLRA)’s and NLRB’s stance of social media worker, speech will well serve practitioners and managers alike in their management and personal decisions” (Myers). Not only will social media impact laws and regulations, social media will have a major...
... middle of paper ...
...d work environment.
Employers should first inform themselves on social media and learn the major avenues that are used by the bulk of social media users. A good direction for employers after becoming informed is to set up policies and guidelines to be given to their employees to read, understand, and sign off. The guidelines and policies should have repercussions and penalties for the broken policies, which should stress the dangers and failings of using social media in connection to the workplace.
Employers should not look to banish social media access completely from the workplace, doing so will only create a push back and employees will probably find ways to get on social media in spite of policies against it. Acknowledging that social media access will occur in the workplace, employers can create guidelines and policies that employees are responsible abiding by.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Social media have gained popularity in recent years as an advertising tool; businesses nowadays use social media to advertise their brands and products. Red Bull promotes on social media a particular life style concentrated on energy, sports and performance rather than their own product (Carlier, 2013). Red Bull has integrated different types of social media to reach out to their targeted market. It will be discovered later on what different types of social media tools and which media is the least effective for Red Bull to use.... [tags: Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube]
905 words (2.6 pages)
- Internet Browsers Internet Explorer, Chrome, Netscape, and Safari, these are a few examples of some of the web browsers that are used throughout the world. These web browsers have become even more common as the years have gone by. People use them in their everyday life to accomplish tasks that they need to get done. The beginning of this profitable and popular invention all started back in 1990. Internet browsers have been around for the last 23 years. The first browser to be invented in 1990 was called the World Wide Web and then later was renamed to Nexus.... [tags: technology, social media, ease]
837 words (2.4 pages)
- In today 's world, print ads are a dying form of advertising. A new form of marketing is beginning to sweep over consumers: social media. Social media is quickly becoming essential for businesses, leaving print ads and television commercials in the dust. With the rise of importance in social media, companies have been able to adapt and integrate this technology to improve their marketing and advertising. Companies have improved their marketing using social media by reaching more consumers in different ways, reaching their specific target audience more efficiently and maintaining closer relationships with their customers Social media is a phenomenon unlike any other in its ability to grow a... [tags: Advertising, Social media, Marketing, Mass media]
1185 words (3.4 pages)
- Social media refers to the sharing of information among people in a networked environment. It is concerned with the creation of virtual communities where members interact electronically through ICT platforms. People can share videos, photographs and different forms of communication through social media facilities. Advancement in information communication technology has fueled the development of social media networking. Evolution of mobile computing and development of internet-enabled mobile phones has catalyzed the development of social media networking (Davis and Linda 101).... [tags: Marketing, Business, Social media, Advertising]
1111 words (3.2 pages)
- Results Task 1: Analysis of Scholarly Journals and Articles on the Topic of Social Media Marketing The analysis of the scholarly articles and journals provided a large amount of information on social media itself and the effectiveness of using it as a marketing strategy. In the article “From Social to Sale”, the authors’ findings indicate that television advertising and e-mail marketing have a positive effect on consumer spending (Kumar, Ashish, et al). They also found that consumers with greater privacy concerns are less likely to participate in a company’s social media site.... [tags: Social media, Marketing, Facebook]
813 words (2.3 pages)
- Social Media Since its inception, the Internet has become a place where businesses can tailor their messages to fit the expectations and desires of consumers and those messages can be sent to a mass of people at the drop of a hat. W. Glynn Mangold and David J. Faulds (2009) argue the Internet is now one of the top sources for media at home and at work, reaching more than half of the people in the United States. Additionally, the internet has caused people to turn away from traditional streams of advertising in the form of radio, television, magazines, and newspapers.... [tags: Marketing, Social media]
2458 words (7 pages)
- Question 1- First and foremost, communication competence is engaging in communication with others that is perceived to be both effective and appropriate in a given context (Spitzberg, 2000) (Chapter 1, page 17). Personal experiences and opinions about social media networks, especially Facebook, has validated that in present day society, various networks of social media are becoming less and less used for important milestones in life and more commonly used to share hackneyed opinions and thoughts.... [tags: Social media, Communication, Message]
1185 words (3.4 pages)
- Geek uses various social media sites to lead his fellow Egyptian’s in revolt over their fellow citzens in office. Yes, that comical statement is as true and real as the air one breaths. Wael Ghonim is a 30 year old Arab man with profound abilities when it comes to technology. As the head of Google’s marketing for the Middle East and North Africa, one can perceive how much potential and success this young man harbors. Naturally one would assume that he would not let himself become engrossed in political affairs, but be consumed with only financial and personal gain.... [tags: greek, social media]
1784 words (5.1 pages)
- Premise 1: social media enhances social relationships Premise 2: social media hinders personal relations Premise 3: Social media enhances social relationships more than it hinders them Conclusion: social media enhances social relationships The topic for this paper is ‘The role of social media in social relationships’. The social media plays a big role in shaping how people relate with each other. It creates a platform where people can meet and grow their relationship. There are several cases of people who have met on social media and their relationship has grown very strong; some even end up as best friends or even couples.... [tags: Sociology, Social media, Social relation, Behavior]
1378 words (3.9 pages)
- There is a growing concern on conditions of people over using social media. Most of the people are crazy on social media currently. There are some teenagers killed while playing Pokémon GO. Some scientists believe that last 10 years, most of the people waste a lot of time in social media every day. For an example, Aaron lee wasted 29days and 9 hours on Facebook since 2018. It is hard to believe that people spend a lot of time on social media. Many people do not understand the importance of life balanced and what is social media in their life.... [tags: Facebook, Social media, Social network service]
1019 words (2.9 pages)