With technology on the rise, we are living in a new era, and what was known as the impossible has now been made possible. Truly it is an amazement to be able to interact instantly everyday with anyone; to be capable of posting a message or a picture on the World Wide Web and for the world; your family, friends, and anyone else to see. Everyone becomes virtually present even though they may be hundreds of miles away. Interactions and communities form where possibilities of them were slim to none. Technology has brought on a change in the lifestyles of many people; a part of this being the epidemical rise of social media. Now, change is not a negative thing, in fact with change comes growth, rather the focus in this situation is the reasoning behind it all. As R. Buckminster Fuller once said, “humanity is acquiring all the right technology for all the wrong reasons.”(Fuller)
Why are we so intrigued with social media? About 50% of adults used some sort of social media as of 2011 and this percentage is ever still growing.(ProCon) What does Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and all other avenues have to offer that is of absence from our everyday livelihoods? Social media as explained on Wikipedia, “refers to interactions among people in which they create, share, and/or exchange information and ideas in virtual communities and networks.”(Wikipedia) Yes, many of us view social media for instance Facebook and Instagram as a means of communication and promotion, an avenue of educational support, and an opportunity for self expression; nonetheless it promotes an untruthful, narcissistic, and desensitized society.
There is a sense of falsehood in social media. Untruthful information is easily spread and taken up as ...
... middle of paper ...
...ss accompanied by a self-referential hashtag. Your image is retweeted and tagged and shared. Your screen fills with thumbs-up signs and heart-shaped emoticons. You are "liked" several times over. You feel a shiver of – what, exactly? Approbation? Reassurance? Existential calm? Whatever it is, it's addictive. Soon, you repeat the whole process, trying out a different pose. Again and again, you offer yourself up for public consumption.”
When asked about narcissism in a poll on social networking sites in June by Ypulse, a majority of 1,068 college students, 57%, acknowledged that there peers used the likes of Facebook and Twitter for self-promotion, narcissistically attention-seeking. Almost all of them said they used these sites daily and about 65% of them implied that their generation was more arrogant, self-promoting, ungratified, and narcissistic than ones before.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- During different time era 's different methods of communications has developed and changed the day by day life. Social media has become the method of statement in the 21 't century, enabling us to express our belief, ideas and manner in a absolute new way. This way of message have also have a huge impact on corporation, where they have realize that without a correct plan and social media strategy they have no chance to stand out in the rapidly changing digital freedom. To guarantee a successful attendance on social media the companies need to take different marketing theories into consideration so that they can boost their brand in different aspect.... [tags: Social media, Marketing, Advertising, Mass media]
706 words (2 pages)
- In past history, print media, such as newspapers, flyers, and brochures, were considered the only form of media for Back in the day , print was the only form of media for the longest. Then , radio and television emerged and people were exposed to way more culture including , sex , violence and the idolization of celebrities. As technology advanced, the internet was born and information was being spread at a more rapid rate to more people. The internet influences the growth and spread of media, and eventually gave the power of media transfer to the people, now publishers and stations are no longer in control of the media and its information.... [tags: Social media, Twitter, Newspaper, Media]
1249 words (3.6 pages)
- In this day of age people rely on all sorts of face-to-face communication that ultimately diminish because of these new social technologies. These questions are ones that many researchers have found extremely intriguing since the popularization of social media in the last decade. Within this topic, social competency is an important ideal that most people strive towards, but there is evidence to support the claims that social media is actually harming people’s ability to interact competently in an offline setting.... [tags: Sociology, Social media, Facebook]
1661 words (4.7 pages)
- Social Media Insight When conducting field research on the social media marketing efforts for the Coastal Bend Day of Giving, I uncovered a social media presence on Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube. On the Facebook page, the posts provide links to donation sites, statements on what your donations can provide, short videos encouraging participation. The videos on the Facebook page were not located on the other social sites for the event. The posting on Facebook begin anytime from mid-October until the day of the event in November.... [tags: Social media, Twitter, Google, Web 2.0]
1164 words (3.3 pages)
- Being born in the 90’s social media didn’t really exist at the time. Internet was created in 1992 and most people “raced to get a PC in every household was on. And, by 1995, the site that may have been the first to fulfill the modern definition of social networking was born” (Trends 2014). Some of the first social media sites created were classmates, Sixdegrees, AsianAvenue, MiGente, and BlackPlanet. But for people in my generation remember when MySpace first came out and that was what everyone was using at the time.... [tags: Social media, Facebook, Person, People]
1508 words (4.3 pages)
- Social Media or Social Strain. A family sits around their dining room table on your average Thursday evening, sharing a meal together. But as you look more closely, the family is not sharing with each other, but instead sharing on their devices. The hard-working, bread-winning father has his laptop out, conferencing with some co-workers in an effort to finish his work that is due the next morning. His son is typing away on his smart phone, texting his friends about how boring his life is, while his sister chats on the phone with her boyfriend.... [tags: Twitter, Social media, Question]
1001 words (2.9 pages)
- Sometimes the best way to see if your business needs help with social media is to get your hands dirt with a social media evaluation. Although you might not be a social media expert...yet, you can still use these questions to see how to improve your presence. 1) See what social media channels your business is already on. Every business, even B2b, should have a Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn. These are the most popular social networks and having a presence on these channels is necessary for your business 's reputation.... [tags: Social media, Social network service]
725 words (2.1 pages)
- Instagram is one of the most popular social media websites. It is unique as this is a site where you do not use words or phrases for communication; instead pictures and high-quality images are posted and talked about. Visual marketing is among the most popular internet marketing trends now, and Instagram fulfills that criterion at its best. Many internet users and brand owners use Instagram for promoting their products and marketing their services so that they can communicate effectively with their customers.... [tags: Marketing, Social media, Social media marketing]
1046 words (3 pages)
- Do you know that social media is a virus. A virus that brings positive and negative influences that put people in critical positions in their lives. It 's a virus that’s expected to get rid of, if only the individual is patience, time oriented and devoted. In this 21st century, most of the population is spending time on social networks, including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and other new social network. Since innovating the Internet, it uses come with some encouraging and damaging effects just like any other invention.... [tags: Social network service, Social media]
1766 words (5 pages)
- Science has invented many technologies today, which have made global village. We can see that people use vary types of social media blogs in their day to day life, which has removed distance from one place to another place. Even they use these blogs to expand business, which avails to get profit in short time without rush in their daily lives. Big company can easily reach to consumer and sell their products and get more profits. In addition to this International Company, they use blogs like Twitter, Facebook to advertise their products.... [tags: social media, blogs, platforms]
558 words (1.6 pages)