Social media is defined as forms of electronic communication through which users create online communities to share information, ideas, personal messages, and other content. The origins of communication began with symbols drawn into caves, to sign language, to speaking, now it has gone to the next level. Social media has been a part of society for decades. It has had a major impact as it revolutionized the way people communicate with each other. There are a six types of social media; these include bookmarking sites, social news, media sharing, microblogging, blog forums and the most popular, social networking. Although many people think social networking is bad-even though they are guilty of using it- others would disagree. Social networking will only have negative effects if it is not used wisely. For example, having the need to spend hours on facebook or twitter when something productive can be accomplished. Instead you could be using those websites and take advantage of what they offer in a positive way.
One of the main reasons people use social media is to keep up with friends and family. In the article by John P. mello Jr titled “Social Network Users’ Main Focus is Staying in Touch” , John presents it with data based of a survey by the Pew Internet and American life Project. Sixty-six percent of adults agreed that “connections with family members and friends are a primary consideration in their adoption of social media tools”. This shows that two-thirds of people use these websites in order to stay connected to people and maintain a relationship with them. Making new friends and finding people who share the same interests can be even more exciting! This is the second top reason why people use social media. People ...
... middle of paper ...
... used correctly, it all depends on the person and how they choose to utilize it. Social media was created with good intent. It was created so that people can connect with each other and so we can wander the world without having to travel thousands of miles. It has allowed people to connect with family, and sometimes help them find one another. Connect with those old friends they have not talked to in years or simply connect with current friends to not lose touch with in the first place. It is also agreed that social networking does not only help to communicate with people. It has found new ways to also incorporate educational tools for everyone. Especially for students. It is true what people say about social media, it s a time consumer and causes addiction but people also need to take a look at the positive side and realize that they are the ones with the control.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Social media currently plays a powerful role in today’s society. Before the invention of this new technology, printed newspapers contained the daily valuable information. Now, with the click of a button and maybe even a few hash-tags inserted, online news feeds substitute for our accustomed routines. This communication channel is an online community that allows users to create and share content with each other. Even though social media has transformed modern lifestyles and current culture, the positive effects outweigh the negative.... [tags: Twitter, Social media]
900 words (2.6 pages)
- As social media overtakes traditional media in this new technological age, news organizations and journals have sought to keep up today’s trends in order to maximize their revenue and maintain traffic. As Clive Thompson stated in his article titled This Just In : I’m Twittering, he mentions that “the power is in the surprising effects that come from receiving thousands of pings from your posse. And this, as it turns out, suggests where the Web is heading.” News environments are rapidly changing to adapt with the diffusion of social media in order to promote their news products and reach to more people than ever before.... [tags: Social media, Facebook, Twitter]
1193 words (3.4 pages)
- Ever since the invention of the transistor – allowing the construction of increasingly advanced computers – digital technology has become increasingly integrated within our daily lives. Of recent times, a significant development in digital technology is its use in communication; especially in the form of social media or social networking. The psychological effects of high usage of social media (such as Facebook, Instagram and Twitter) in today’s society have been critically evaluated. The main risks are associated with allowing the consequences of traditional forms of bullying and the internalisation of unrealistic body ideals to be escalated due to the high frequency of use and omnipresence... [tags: Social media, Sociology, Psychology, Facebook]
1967 words (5.6 pages)
- The first word in the terminology is social, meaning enabling the humans within the community to connect with each other’s .The second word in the terminology is media, which are the tools human uses to reach, communicate and connect with each other’s. Today there are many forms of social media tools or instruments for example TV, radio, newspaper, internet and other social communication programs. These advances in technology have enabled us to share information and keep up to date with current affairs however, it can also have negative effect of its users.... [tags: Social media, Communication, Electronics, Internet]
1390 words (4 pages)
- Social Media Websites Privacy Issues The usage of social media websites, such as Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Pinterest, and Google+ are very useful tools. Considering the facts of increase communication with friends and families around the globe without having a noticeable effect monetarily. Social media websites have its down falls. Has convenient as it sounds, protecting a user’s information is not quite its strongest suit. Other users have the ability to view another user’s personal information when a user is “offline”.... [tags: Social network service, Social media]
2245 words (6.4 pages)
- Social media has begun to take the world by storm through dozens of mobile apps that are changing the way people communicate. All social media sites have millions of members who are allowed to share photos and message others on a regular basis. Although all generations have become more accustomed to the use of social media, the younger generations are the most fanatic users of these sites. As social media became developed, its main purpose was to promote and aid communication; however, it may be doing more harm than good.... [tags: Social media, Communication, Employment]
1001 words (2.9 pages)
- Millions of college students in 2015 choose to use social media sites to express themselves each and every day. Whether it be Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, or yes, even some people are still on Myspace; almost everyone you know is on social media. What exactly does this say about our society. Are we becoming too dependent on social media and do the negatives outweigh the benefits. It is important to be educated on what exactly are the benefits of using social media as a college student and what the dangers are.... [tags: Social media, Twitter, Social network service]
1364 words (3.9 pages)
- Everything is constantly changing whether it be clear through technology or even through one’s style. Throughout time, it has been apparent that society is always changing and seeking for improvement. Society has been molded to the point that everyone is always looking to improve, whether it be themselves or owning the best new thing. Through time, I noticed that things aren’t the same as they were when I was a child. Whenever I was bored or wanted some sort of entertainment, I would look to going outside or even reading at one point.... [tags: Facebook, Social media, Sociology, Better]
1513 words (4.3 pages)
- Today 's generation is all about social media. It is the new way to have instant connection to thousands all over the world. Today 's company are now doing less traditional television, radio, and print advertisement and more promotion via Twitter, Facebook and/or Instagram. Companies are invested in getting famous people to post pictures or tweet about their products, knowing that, one person can connect with millions with just one post. Over half of the world has access to social media, making them great consumers.... [tags: Twitter, Social media, Facebook]
1587 words (4.5 pages)
- It’s a crazy idea that through the internet we have the possibilities to meet strangers and even befriend strangers. Strangers that we most likely would have never even met outside of the digital world. Through social media, a relationship is formed between strangers to strangers. Consequently, Social media has made it easier for users to communicate with each other, and even have romances and communities to flourish and strengthen.Although text messaging and other forms of digital platforms have had an involvement in these relationships, they all seem to start with social media.... [tags: Sociology, Social media, Twitter]
1697 words (4.8 pages)
- Kraft Foods Group : Strengths And Weaknesses
- Telemachus : Development Of The Character Telemachus
- How The Western Powers Made Up The Borders Of The Middle East And Caused The Problems
- Literary Figures Of The Middle Ages
- The Safe Streets And Communities Act ( Bill C 10 )
- Jeffrey Dahmer : A Serial Killer