Social media is a very big distraction in this world we live in. About 68 percent of American teenagers own a smartphone, according to a survey conducted by the Nielsen Company. An even bigger percentage of these young individuals have a profile on a social network site. People are always posting about how they are feeling and what they are doing. But, a lot of the things people post do not reflect their personality. For example, some of my friends will post a bible verse or post about God, but the next day they are sinning or doing something that God wouldn’t approve of. I am the complete opposite and am more of an observer of social media, posting little about my own emotions because I don’t like drawing unnecessary attention to myself. I like to see the exciting, new things that are happening in my friend’s lives, especially while I am away at college. On the other hand, there are people that post way too much about information that should be kept to themselves.
So, quite a few of my friends post way too much information about themselves and what is going on with them. For example, one girl that I used to go to school with had twin girls and they were very premature. They didn’t live and she posted a whole album of them and made Facebook’s for them. Everytime she posts about them she tags them in the posts. It’s not that I don’t think this is sad, it is and I would never wish this upon anyone. This is just something very personal that should be kept between her family and herself. That being said, I still feel sorry for this family, yet friends on Facebook are sometimes just acquaintances and not necessarily true friends. In a way these acquaintances could make the situation worse by an insensitive co...
... middle of paper ...
...elationship, but I am also an introvert who doesn’t like public drama. I’ve only been in drama before because of someone pulling me into it and that is it. Social media is a huge cause in the drama that happens today and that is where most of the drama takes place; on the screen and not in person. I love that I have a place where I can go to see what is going on in my friend’s lives, but I do not like to see people creating drama or posting things to cause people to give them unnecessary attention. Being an observer of social media has allowed me to see how social media allows people to create a fake personality of themselves. I am happy with the role social media has played in my life because I have gotten to see how other’s lives are changing, keep up with important events that I could not be at, and share with others exciting things that are happening in my life.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Over the last ten years social media usage has increased, due to new websites that are constantly emerging and pulling in more people. People that use social media check it daily to see what is being said, liked and commented on their posts. People are using social media, so they can feel more involved. They want to connect with others to see what everyone is saying and doing. Some people use social media to keep in contact with their family and friends. While others use social media to express their opinion or taunt others.... [tags: Bullying, Abuse, Suicide, Social media]
1210 words (3.5 pages)
- When social media first started to become a widespread trend across the world, new ideas of what it meant to be socially involved were created. This lead to dozens of new outlets for the general public to become engaged in, leading to new and flashy trends that further diversified how social media played a part in our everyday lives. The humble beginnings of social media can be traced to sites like Friendster or Myspace which then evolved into Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, Reddit, et cetera.... [tags: Facebook, Social media, Sociology]
2004 words (5.7 pages)
- Advantages of social media Social media is a great tool that helps us keep up with family and friends across the world, we can stay up to date with events big and small happening across the country. If it is used the right way it can be a powerful tool for businesses it offers ways to make a company known and keep it known. All of us have those times when we are feeling down, and there is always something on social media that can make you smile and put everything into perspective. Furthermore there are so many things that the mainstream media tries to keep from us like how much sugar is really in our drinks, what our food really consists of, and when it’s really necessary to see a doctor.... [tags: Sociology, Social media, Small business, Facebook]
2266 words (6.5 pages)
- “I’m sorry I didn’t hear you. I was responding to a text message. What were you saying?” Have you ever heard this expression or something similar; we all have. This is clear evidence of how cellphones can be a very big distraction in many social settings. Some people check their cell phone first thing in the morning. It is so easy to waste time playing on your cell phone rather than doing something productive. Cell phone use, can cause harm physically, socially, and academically, although cell phones have some good qualities, advancements in technology is causing the world to gradually become dependent on technology.... [tags: Mobile phone, Text messaging]
1253 words (3.6 pages)
- The Distraction Effect Although utilizing social networking platforms is typically subjected to a pervasive attitude of the social website and attitudes of students toward social networking in general, most online behaviors reflect personality behaviors, cultures, and values. How people use online social networks particularly since per their behavioral patterns and attitudes towards information sharing and privacy is a direct consequence of and a reflection on their cultural backgrounds. Intellectual capabilities manage time and process information and therefore should affect their capacity towards benefiting from online activities and restricting their efficiency on any tasks performed in p... [tags: Social network service]
1299 words (3.7 pages)
- 'I use social media on a daily basis. I wouldn’t say I use social media to much though. As the whole class witnessed in the video Generation Like social media is taking over the lives of kids all over the world. I personally love social media and all it can do for us. Social media is very powerful it can make or break the relationships you have formed. I love social media because i believe it brings you together with people you may have never been able to get to know had you not reached out through the internet.... [tags: Social media, Web 2.0, English-language films]
1420 words (4.1 pages)
- In Betty White’s opening monologue to Saturday Night Live, she said, “I didn’t know what Facebook was, and now that I do know what it is, I have to say, it sounds like a huge waste of time. I would never say the people on it are losers, but that’s only because I’m polite.” Originally intended for the use of students at Harvard University in 2004, Facebook grew exponentially to be an online phenomenon in the years following. In 2006, it became accessible to anyone and everyone with internet connection.... [tags: Social Media, Facebook, Twitter]
1112 words (3.2 pages)
- Before studying how distraction affects exercise and related physiological responses, it is important to examine previous research related to this topic. There is limited work done in this area but there are tangent matters of importance. To achieve the optimal health benefits from exercise the research supports the notion that it is necessary to exercise at a prescribed exercise intensity for a prescribed duration. Disruption in maintaining the prescribed exercise intensity may not allow the desired benefit from the exercise performed.... [tags: exericse, psychology, distraction, ]
1052 words (3 pages)
- In our rapidly changing world, we are constantly looking for new ways to enhance our experiences in day to day life. The changes are taking place more rapidly each and every passing year; smartphones became available only ten years ago, and now are a near essential component of everyday life. Evolving technology has changed the way we do almost everything; schools have integrated advanced technology to assist children in learning, business use technology to help keep track of all affairs that the establishment may be involved with, and, maybe most noticeably, many people use their smartphones everyday to manage their lives.... [tags: Facebook, Social network service, Twitter]
840 words (2.4 pages)
- Social Media- Double-Edged Sword Nowadays, computers and the Internet are developing very fast. Social media is not an exception. Computer users have a lot of choices when they use the social media, and it is becoming a part of people’s life. Some people said the social media is very useful. On the other hand, others claim that these are too many serious problems for people who using it. In my opinion, I strongly agree with both that the social media is not only having advantages, but it also has many disadvantages.... [tags: Facebook, Mark Zuckerberg, Social media]
716 words (2 pages)