Attending sleepaway camp has long been a summertime tradition for kids across the United States. According to the American Camp Association, there are more than 7,000 resident camps in the U.S (ACA Facts and Trends 1). Whether it is a traditional camp with arts & crafts, sports, and theater or a special-interest camp, the campers build the same lifetime skills. Although some kids have a genetic predisposition to such important lifetime qualities, most do not. Every sleepaway camp has the same formula that enables kids to learn, practice, and improve upon important values and traits. Similar to mission statements across the board, Camp Wicosuta’s goal “is for every child to walk away feeling confiden...
... middle of paper ...
...ver, the challenges they encountered at camp are automatically used in all aspects of their daily life.
There are dozens of benefits that camp graciously gives to campers which influence their daily life including friendships, independence, community, and competence. These universal values and skills are learned at all 7,000 sleepaway camps across the nation, creating more aware, socially conscious, and community oriented children from a young age. The tradition of camp will continue to exist due to the benefits it patently has. Although an adult can be successful without going to sleepaway camp; the exposer camp gives kids at a young age is incredibly beneficial. While camp influences who you become as an adult, it achieves its goal through a magical and memorable experience - something a lifetime camper will recognize and be thankful for as they reach adulthood.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- For years my parents had given me an opportunity that I had never taken advantage of. A chance I was sure I would never take. My cousin, Corey always tried to talk me into going to sleepaway camp with him in Michigan, where he lives. Him and his friends boasted of a 4 week paradise with wooden cabins, a giant lake, and unlimited opportunities. At the age of ten I had never even slept at a friends house. However, I was very curious and had always wondered what it would be like. Therefore, my decision to take a flight to Northern Michigan started a life changing experience for me at Camp Walden.... [tags: Camping, The Camp]
748 words (2.1 pages)
- Camping is fun, if you don 't mind bugs, heat, peeing behind a tree, and perpetual dampness. But there is something about sitting beside a roaring fire with friends that makes all the discomfort of the outdoors seem insignificant at the time. Camping is a great experience for kids, especially in this hi-tech day and age when the most outdoor exposure many kids get is the jungle background on their computer. If you are thinking about going camping with your kids, or someone else 's kids, you should keep in mind the following.... [tags: Coffee, Coffeemaker, Coffee preparation]
1918 words (5.5 pages)
- Ever been on a camping trip. If the answer is yes, many other Americans have too. In 2011, nearly 43 million went camping in our country; this is a 3 million increase from the year before (The Coleman Company 6). Camping has been a popular pastime for the American people for many decades, this is mainly due to the fact that camping is fairly inexpensive and allows memories to be made that will last a lifetime. Preparing for a camping trip can be a daunting task, but if an individual has the right knowledge and has put enough time into making plans, the trip will be a good time for everyone involved.... [tags: Camping, Tent, Campsite, Sleeping bag]
1718 words (4.9 pages)
- The Annual Camping Trip Many of my childhood memories are vague in my mind, but there is one that I will always remember, as well as always hold a special place in my heart. Every year my family would go camping up in the mountains for about three days. This one time stood out to me, and that was the summer of 2008, for I was old enough to appreciate the joys of camping, yet not too old to not feel the exhilaration of it. I was eight years old and ready for a good time with my brother, cousins, my parents and even our beloved dog Summer.... [tags: Camping, Campfire, Camper, Campsite, Tent]
1146 words (3.3 pages)
- Camping is a fun experience whether it be with your family, friends, or by yourself. However, it all depends on what you’re camping in that makes your experience worthwhile. Camping in a camper or motorhome is more convenient and efficient than camping in a tent. In my own camping experience, I feel that having a camper is much more enjoyable than a tent. When camping in a camper you’re able to experience the outdoors with the luxury of feeling at home. Electricity is the most beneficial attribute that a camper can provide.... [tags: Camping, Coffee, Sleep, Tent, Campsite, Camper]
1633 words (4.7 pages)
- ... They set up camp and tried to stay warm with blankets and a fire. The next morning, they woke up to a sheet of snow covering their tent. They tried to get out to experience the snow, but all they could see was white. Everywhere they looked, it was all white. It just kept snowing, snowing, snowing…. “How long do you think this will last?” Taylor desperately asked her husband. “Um, I am sure it won’t last that long.” Jack said, not even believing his own words. They huddled back inside the tent, trying to keep warm any way they could.... [tags: surprise, camping, hiking, snow]
870 words (2.5 pages)
- Camping Essentials: What to Bring When You Go Camping Have you ever noticed that being in the great outdoors increases your appetite. Maybe it's the extra exercise from the hiking, maybe it's breathing in fresh air, it might even be the smell of food cooking over an open fire – whatever the reason, I think we can all agree that there's nothing quite like camping for a relaxing getaway. If you're shaking your head in disagreement then there's a good chance you feel that way because you're forgetting the essentials when packing your gear to head to the site.... [tags: Camping, Sleeping bag, Tent, Flashlight, Weather]
809 words (2.3 pages)
- Camping near Lake Michigan is one of the best experiences in my life. The lake has sparkling blue water and gorgeous sandy beaches. Every summer I go camping with my family. The campground is right on Lake Michigan. There are bikes, kayaks, volleyball nets, and huge fire pits. There is always an adventure around the corner. One day Lake Michigan felt decently warm. Not like the usual temperature when I can only stand to be in the water for 10 minutes, and then I start to freeze. I invited my parents to go down to the beach with me.... [tags: Kayak, Canoeing, Camping, Campsite]
1141 words (3.3 pages)
- Camping Technology Could something designed to make life easier end up ruining everything we have worked to preserve. Technology can sometimes be quite controversial. In my major, I have found that it can be almost more of a frustration than a blessing. In most industries, technological advancements are viewed as a positive step towards efficiency and economic growth. This is not always the case, however. In the camping industry, for example, the constant “improvements” are often a source of frustration to many die-hard campers.... [tags: Camps Camping Technological Papers]
1348 words (3.9 pages)
- Camping is a great way to escape the demands of everyday life. However, with that transition away from the technology, roadways, job demands and all that urban life has to offer to the peacefulness and isolation of the woods comes inaccessibility. While this is good for your sanity, it demands some forward thinking on your part to ensure a positive experience. On that note, the following are five of the most important camping gear essentials you need to have before leaving behind the general population for your camping destination.... [tags: Camping, Tent, Survival skills, Lantern, Campsite]
812 words (2.3 pages)