I have learned to look up and analyze the usefulness of sources from the internet, as well as how to cite sources in the right matter to give the authors their credit and avoid plagiarism. Also, now I am more capable of accepting constructive criticism from peer review and fellow class mates. Therefore, this class will help me with my other classes in the future, not only college classes, but future jobs and interviews.
In an essay I wrote about vaping, I used words used in that discourse community to help the audience visualize what vaping is. In my strong response essay I included appropriate facts I obtained through my own knowledge and research, along with descriptive language to show the seriousness of the essay. However, this is also the essay that I feel best displays what I have learned and reflects my skills as a writer. This was a difficult essay for me to write, as the topic was difficult. Therefore, I was forced to utilize all of my knowledge, skills, and abilities as a writer to make this a successful piece of work. I was dedicated and fortunate enoug...
... middle of paper ...
...ding writing about writing. I learned a lot of strategies for writing. Before this class, I never really thought about the audience much when I was writing something, and now it is one of my main points of pre-writing strategy that I consider who I am writing to and how they will receive the material. This class has broadened my understanding of how writing is used in different contexts, and the different types of writing and how they are used. I never really thought too much about digital and social media writing before this class, and didn’t consider the implications this type of writing has had on the styles of our generation. It had opened my eyes to thinking about what I read online and what the messages are and the implications might be. This class has broadened my writing extensively and helped me understand not only the hows of writing, but the whys as well.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Throughout the fall semester in English 1010, I have learned a wealth of information that has provided stepping stones in improving my writing skills. Writing has always been a difficult task and has posed many challenges for me. One of the main challenges that I faced was writer’s block. I struggled with writing a simple paragraph and felt that I would never be able to write an essay or research paper. I either could not find the ideas or thoughts to write down or I did not know how to explain myself.... [tags: Writing, Critical thinking, Thought, Essay]
1179 words (3.4 pages)
- Throughout this school year my writing has improve dramatically. I now know how to be organized and I also know how to use my sources. The problem that I still have is the hardest mountain that I must overcome, procrastination. The problem with procrastinating isn’t that I don’t want to do the work it just takes time for me to figure out how to do it. Writer’s block seems to be contagious and I think I may have caught it from a student elsewhere on campus. Writer’s block is when a writer has no idea what should come next and their brain just goes completely blank.... [tags: techniques and skills in the art of the pen]
579 words (1.7 pages)
- Throughout the time of the course I have accommodated the necessary skills to writing more analytically by applying several strategies to my writing techniques. Analytical writings consist of a summary, personal response, taking a stance in the argument, is there a comparison or contrast which make the discussion. Throughout the course I have learned to properly do an analysis of a text which means to highlight important ideas within an article or readings to understand what the author is trying to say rather than giving a summary of what the author is trying to argue which I had been used to doing before the course.... [tags: Writing, Writer, Rhetoric, Audience]
729 words (2.1 pages)
- During this semester in LLD class, I have learned some writing skills and reading skills from the textbook “College Writing Skills,” and written three essays which helped me improve my reading and writing skills. Grammar is the rule of word and sentence, which means that put the right word into the appropriate position to make it become a complete sentence. In addition, this book tells us that the most important problem is to avoid having grammatical errors in the essay, that will make reader misunderstand the sentence 's meaning.... [tags: Writing, Grammar, Essay, Linguistics]
740 words (2.1 pages)
- Within the weeks 7 through till 12 I have had many seminars on study skills and the skills for success, some of which including skills to help me with reading skills and also to help me with my essay writing. These seminars help me to gain a stronger understanding of the skills that I need to improve on and the skills that I feel relatively okay with. It also allows me to think about some skills that I wouldn 't usually think about. Firstly there was the essay writing session with 10 of my peers and I was learning about different techniques on how to write an essay and also what a “good essay” includes.... [tags: Writing, Essay, Need to know, Word]
1582 words (4.5 pages)
- From the beginning of English 100 course to the end, I have seen my writing skill develop tremendously. The writing assignments we were exposed to has help me become a better writer. The writing assignment “Description of a Character” has allowed me to improve my skills on writing in more depth about a certain person or situation. Also doing the worksheet for “Indian Education” has help me have a better understanding of the writing techniques in order to develop a good narrative collage. Doing the open letter to address an issue or topic using evidence to support a claim was a new skill I learned that will help me in future assignments.... [tags: Writing, Better, Sherman Alexie, Paper]
718 words (2.1 pages)
- The average working class citizen will be required to apply their reading and writing skills in a work environment at one point in time in there career; with this information it’s recommended that all college graduates complete a reading and writing class in order for them to better understand this concept. So that when the time comes they can apply the skills they learned into a real life exercise. I will now take a moment to describe the way I use reading and writing in an everyday within my work environment.... [tags: Writing, Technical writer, Writing system]
751 words (2.1 pages)
- Introduction A fundamental aspect of acquiring skills in a new language is the ability to communicate messages in writing. For a teacher of English as a second language, nurturing students to develop sound writing skills is crucial to the success of the student both as a learner of the language, and their skills communication skills in reading, speaking and even listening in English. The natural ability of native speakers to communicate in a given language does not automatically indicate proficiency in their writing skills, which must be acquired.... [tags: Communication, Writing Skills]
1522 words (4.3 pages)
- Self-regulation is a critical component in learning to write. There have been 25 studies that have shown that teaching students self-regulation strategies in writing has improved their ability to write. Self-regulation strategies have even improved writing in students with learning disabilities. So what is self-regulation in writing. In general self-regulation refers to the thoughts, feelings, and actions writers initiate to reach their writing goals. There are three types of self-regulation writers can impose to help improve their writing.... [tags: Writing]
678 words (1.9 pages)
- Writing Techniques That Appeal to Readers Anyone who will be required to write at any time, no matter what the function of the writing, should learn good writing techniques that appeal to readers. Every type of writing should possess something that will draw the reader into the words to make the reader feel that he can relate to what he reads. Many techniques can accomplish this goal of writing. Diction, organization, description, and titles are all key parts of an essay that combine the author's thoughts and teelings in an effective manner.... [tags: Education Teaching Writing Essays]
890 words (2.5 pages)