Love is formed from all over and everybody has their own interpretations of love. Love is defined in many different ways all in many different place from all around. A question that would be hard to define accurately is , what is the real meaning of love? Love in a summed up way can be described as Love is a variety of different feelings, states, and attitudes that ranges from interpersonal affection to pleasure. You can always love and it be a different way of loving. For example love like a friend, or love sexually. Just like in greek. They have multiple different ways of expressing and explaining love.
One type of love in greek is Eros. Eros love is love that is sexual or passionate. This was named after the greek god of fertility. This wasn 't always the positive type of sexual and passion that we think of today. Eros was viewed as dangerous , fiery, and irrational that could take over you and posses you. Eros was frightening to the greeks and this made the greeks feel threatened and as if they were being taken over. You would think today that this is what you would want is to be madly in love with someone and to be obsessive over each other but they didn 't think this way.
The second type of love is philia. Philia is another meaning for deep friendship type of love. The greeks valued this more than eros due to its purpose and meaning and what it could bring emotionally. Greeks connected philia with the brothers that fought side by side on the battlefield. Philia was about sacrificing, expressing, and showing your love for the ones who mattered the most. This also could be in comparison to the love shared and connected to mother and child. This type of love we use today and is seen more than most. T...
... middle of paper ...
...ety of groups of people like friends, spouses, families, and strangers. This is in contrast to what we hope to find today, today we hope to find all the types of love but finding it all in one person. The greeks lesson to teach was stop trying to find the perfect person with six traits of love all in one. The greeks would say instead to spread it out and try the traits of love by finding it many different people. Nothing will ever be perfect and you might find someone who has the positive couple traits at first but later down the road turn out to be the negative side of the traits of love. The greeks have a diverse system of love. Figuring out how in depth that all six traits of love are in your life could lead you to better, stronger, and happier friendships and you will soon to be changing lives and figuring out how much love you have to share even with a stranger.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Sylvester Stallone makes a good aspect about the meaning of love;”I learned the real meaning of love. Love is absolute loyalty. People fade, looks fade, but loyalty never fades. You can depend so much on certain people; you can set your watch by them. And that’s love, even if it doesn’t seem very exciting”. Every person has a different concept of what love means. All we want to know is how to have the perfect loving relationship. The key to having a successful/perfect relationship according to Robert Sternberg’s Triangular Theory of love has three components: intimacy, passion, and commitment.... [tags: Love, Triangular theory of love, Robert Sternberg]
1321 words (3.8 pages)
- After watching the movie “It’s Complicated” many of John Alan Lee’s Six types of love were recognized. Jake and Jane was one couple that I noticed who displayed Lee’s love types. One type that they displayed was Ludus: flirtatious and fun. Jane and Jake seemed very playful, flirtatious, carefree, and casual, which according to our text describes this love style very well. This couple was more carefree at first but as the movie continued on they seemed to put more thought into what they were doing.... [tags: Love, Marriage, Agape, Love styles]
1073 words (3.1 pages)
- Types Of Woman In Love. For many years now women have made great changes in their lives. Women have come so far from the past when they were simply just property, to now being almost equal to men. In today 's society if a woman wants something she can get it, but does that include love. Love is such a broad topic that has been written about for so long now you would think there would not be anything left to be said. On the contrary, because women 's roles have changed so much there is a whole new topic of love to be addressed.... [tags: Love, Poetry, Woman, Romance]
1546 words (4.4 pages)
- Types Of Women In Love. For many years now women have made great changes in their lives. Women have come so far from the past when they were simply just property, to now being almost equal to men. In today 's society if a woman wants something she can get it, but does that include love. Love is such a broad topic that has been written about for so long now you would think there would not be anything left to be said. On the contrary, because women 's roles have changed so much there is a whole new topic of love to be addressed.... [tags: Love, Poetry, Woman, Romance]
1549 words (4.4 pages)
- The Merriam Webster dictionary defines love as “a feeling of strong or constant affection for a person” - however, this does not encompass a fraction of the feeling a person has when he or she loves something. Because the sensation differs from one person to the next, there is no possible way to accurately define love. However, it is possible to try to understand love by breaking it down into several categories. Humans have been pondering this idea for centuries, with one of the earliest examples being found in the Christian Bible.... [tags: twelfth night, shakespeare, love, orsino]
1426 words (4.1 pages)
- Using John Lee’s six styles of love and Sternberg’s triangular theory of love, I will discuss to separate relationships and how they relate to them. The two couples I chose to interview are from different generations, but both love their partner immensely. Throughout my interviews with the couples, I practiced active listening and got to know more about how their relationships worked. The first couple I interviewed was my cousin and her husband. They have been married for four years as of October, but they have been together for seven years.... [tags: Love, Triangular theory of love, Marriage, Family]
1098 words (3.1 pages)
- Rebecca is a 32-year-old single mother of 4-year-old son Grayson. Grayson’s father left shortly after he was born. Rebecca grew up in a lower socioeconomic household. Money was always an issue for the family of eight. Her mother worked two jobs while her father was a truck driver who was rarely home. Rebecca’s parents left her in the care of neighbors or one of her 4 older siblings. As a result, Rebecca has never been comfortable with expressing emotions or showing close contact. Rebecca now works as a consultant at the local bank.... [tags: difficult birht, pregnancy, abuse, neglect]
2024 words (5.8 pages)
- ... During the flight back to Perth the first threads of doubt crossed my mind. What had I really learnt. Did I have the confidence to call myself a Black Belt. The answer was no. The course was too rushed without real depth. At least the hotel food was nice. Statistical analysis was covered in the final hour. Ten weary faces staring at an overhead ... no hands on, no use of a computer. Five years later I found myself embarking on my second Black Belt. Within minutes of meeting Harry [the trainer] I knew the course would be special.... [tags: Six Sigma, Lean manufacturing, Manufacturing]
1315 words (3.8 pages)
- The Six Types of Play Children Participate In Introduction - In this investigation I am going to look in text books to see what information I can find on the six different types of play that children use each day of their lives. I hope I will find out a lot of information and learn about how play types change. My investigation - This is all the different types of play I found out about from text books Discovery play - This uses all the senses to find things out about the things they are playing with like its size, shape, texture, colour, weight, how they are made, what they can do and if they can be broken.... [tags: Free Essays]
422 words (1.2 pages)
- Feminism is for Everybody The following paragraphs are an excerpt from a paper written about the political and social theories of bell hooks. These sections focus specifically on her newest book, Feminism is for Everybody. Throughout her works, hooks maintains a firm belief in the accessibility of the theory she seeks to situate within society. To that end, hooks’ latest work, Feminism is for Everybody, is an accessible book that outlines the basic tenants of a radical feminist theory. More inclusive than many of her other works, this book attempts to address an audience that is completely unfamiliar with feminist thought.... [tags: Free Essays Online]
778 words (2.2 pages)