The first main function of the Legislature is to make laws for the country. Bills proposed in the Parliament will be debated by MPs before they vote in favour of, or against it. Either the whole Parliament or the Select Committee will go through the Bills thoroughly and they can propose amendments to improve it so that the Bills will better benefit the country. After the Bills are being passed by the Parliament, it will go through the Presidential Council for Minority Rights to be approved and then assented by the President before being gazette and finally become a law (Parliament of Singapore, n.d.).
The next main function of the Legislature is to control the state’s finances. After the Minister of Finance deliver the Budget Statement, the Parliament will review it and then debate on the Budget Statement. They will bring up different areas to request for the government to reconsider and look into. Then afte...
... middle of paper ...
...cy”. He also said that the operation was done as a condition of the merger of Singapore and Malaya so that the Tunku of Malaysia did not have to worry about a political opposition, the Barisan Socialist, after the unification (The Online Citizen, 2013). With the ISA being used by the government to oppress political oppositions in the past, it can still be used to do so now. Especially with the ISA allowing detention without trial, the government could misuse this act and the Judiciary cannot adjudicate on whether the person detained has really gone against the law.
Another issue related to the separation of powers of the Legislature and the Executive would be that the Members of the Cabinet are also part the Parliament. They, too, can vote on Bills during the Parliament sessions. This shows that the Legislature and the Executive are not have fully separated powers.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Different countries have different legal systems that should impact a company’s decision to do international business. Some countries limit foreigner’s ability to conduct legal action against their citizens. Pick a country and analyze the type of legal system the country has (common law, civil law, or theocratic law). The country I chose to analyze is Singapore. I found Singapore to be a great hub for any business needing a presence in Asia. Singapore has kept many of the British law practices since it gained independence.... [tags: Common law, Law, Civil law]
725 words (2.1 pages)
- However, even with such contrast of Hofstede dimension scores between the United States and Singapore, there are some cultural, ethnic, social, and educational characteristics similarities that are mutually accepted. Education is clearly important, English is the language of business, and punctuality, etiquette and roles are equally significant. Of course, these cultural dimensions can only provide an idea of culture, because culture in itself is dynamic and forever evolving. Outside influences and the blending of culture is inevitable in the global setting.... [tags: Economics, Investment, Economy, Globalization]
1770 words (5.1 pages)
- 4 May16 - Company Incorporation Singapore Helps in Branding Your Business - offpage Blog SBS - Mohan - Shri Company Incorporation Singapore Helps in Branding Your Business There is a very substantial reason for committing to a company incorporation Singapore. When entrepreneurs stumble upon dazzling business ideas, they respond in different ways. Some of them reveal it to their friends to discuss its viability and some mull over their find until it grows stale on them. If you are one of the former types of individual, why not indulge in a Singapore company incorporation and cash in your business idea.... [tags: Corporation, Limited liability company]
955 words (2.7 pages)
- In 1802, Thomas Jefferson stated, "A spirit of justice and friendly accommodation is our duty and our interest to cultivate with all nations". Senior Leaders should gain pertinent information about the country of Singapore and the significant importance of United States and Singapore relations, because the military has shifted forces and structure to focus on the Asian Pacific area in the coming years. This paper will cover the background, government structure, strategic importance, and the future direction of Singapore.... [tags: Thoams Jefferson, United States Relations]
1166 words (3.3 pages)
- 29 March 16-Singapore is one of the best places to incorporate an eCommerce business-Blog SG Incorporation- Madhu Singapore is One of the Best Places to Incorporate an eCommerce Business We all agree that Singapore is a fantastic business destination. In fact, many of us have already opted for a company incorporation Singapore. It is irrelevant whether you own a startup business or an established one, taking your business online is the kind of opportunity, not any entrepreneur would like to miss.... [tags: Corporation, Limited company]
886 words (2.5 pages)
- Anyone hoping to start a business in Singapore should know the different types of company setup. Basically, there are four main types of companies in Singapore. 1. Limited Liability Company A Limited Liability Company (LLC) is more often not limited by shares. The owners of the company are protected from liabilities that may arise from the business. An LLC usually operates as a separate legal entity, quite similar to a corporation. There are three types of LLCs in Singapore: Private Limited Company, Public Limited Company and Public Company Limited by Guarantee.... [tags: lawyer, proprietor, profit]
634 words (1.8 pages)
- 27 Oct - Yahoo Answers -SBS - Shri 1# https://www.quora.com/My-co-founder-lives-in-Singapore-PR-and-I-live-in-the-USA-Green-Card-How-can-we-structure-a-company-in-Singapore Answer: Registering a Singapore private limited company is a great option for you. It will give both of you, if desired, 50% shares of your company. The best way of doing it is to hire one of the competent Singapore incorporation services like SBS Consulting. If the your company distributes dividends, which are tax-free in Singapore.... [tags: Corporation, Limited liability partnership]
756 words (2.2 pages)
- The cultural difference between Canada is huge. Both the countries are multicultural but Canada is more western in culture whereas Singapore are mostly dominated by Chinese, Malay, and Indian culture. According to the Greet Hofstede Model, The power distance in Singapore is 74 where in Canada it is 39, power distance shows the equality of people in society or culture and the distribution of power (Hofstede Centre, 2016). In Singapore, the distribution of power is not equal everyone is not treated same but in Canada the power is mostly distributed equally.... [tags: Geert Hofstede, Cross-cultural communication]
1139 words (3.3 pages)
- Useful Tips For Singapore Business Start Up - What Kind of Pass Should A foreigner Apply When Setting up a Company in Singapore written by: DB1976 There isn't a better country to establish a business or corporation, than the top global Asian country on the planet. Singapore has usually taken care of a powerful trading standing to its welcoming taxes regulations along with their beneficial intellectual property regulations. The majority of Singapore businesses are recognized and registered because private limited companies.... [tags: register, documents, requirements]
858 words (2.5 pages)
- 1. Introduction Deep-sea passenger transportation are amongst the most rapidly growing and evolving sectors in the hospitality industry(Wie, 2004, Douglas et al., 2010). As such, there underscores the need for strategy development to ensure the long-term success of firms in this industry. This report would focus on Royal Caribbean International's operations in Singapore, and analyze it based on its external and internal environments, while concluding with a recommendation of strategies that could be adopted as part of the organization's long-term strategic trajectory.... [tags: Royal Caribbean SWOT Analysis]
4023 words (11.5 pages)