Basketball and baseball may appear to be completely different sports however, both are built on sportsmanship and a touch of shared history. While there are obvious differences between these two sports, they are more similar than they may appear.
While basketball and baseball are two different sports these two sports play different with their height and weight can significantly influence success in sport depending on how the design of the sport is linked to factors that are height biased due to physics and biology. Height can be both helpful. Some taller people have more bone mass, they will generally be slightly weaker than shorter people in the same class. The difference is made up in part by their longer arms, which allow them a longer reach and easier cradle. Long legs though they are easier for other players to attack ,do however, assist in performing some actions and positions such as throwing, sprawling to counter a takedown.
Baseball, being taller usually means long legs, for power of the pitchers use to generate and to release point closer to the plate, which means the ball reaches the batter more quickly. In baseball also comes from a higher release angle opposed shorter pitcher. The taller players position have a larger strike zone, most of the players position are at least multiple of height because the larger frame allows them to generate more power.
Injuries caused by stressing an area over and over until it is damaged and begins to hurt and described as overuse injuries. One injury is patellar tendinitis, or jumper 's knee, which are characterized by pain in the tendon just below the kneecap. The basketball players overuse the tendons in their shoulders. The rotator cuff of the shoulde...
... middle of paper ...
...oned players, in both sports, reduce ball travel time, facilitating crucial plays. In basketball, the team literally centers on the center. In baseball, the defense centers on the pitcher. These players have different titles, with their actions, and more importantly, their leadership, is vital to the success of the team. Centers are highly visible in both offensive and defensive scenarios, where their physical presence and ball handling skills are called upon to score baskets or prevent the other team from scoring. Pitchers of the team positioned in the center of the baseball diamond, pitchers throw the ball to the batter in a manner as to prevent them from hitting it back. So whether a center or a pitcher, these players are central to their team. With basketball and baseball it is all about teamwork and the players attitude when they are playing.
Word count 1268
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Baseball in the Dominican Republic Baseball was first brought over to the Dominican Republic in the 1870's, when thousands of Cubans came fleeing to the island nation in refuge from the Ten Years' War. Along with baseball, Cubans also brought with sugar producing expertise that had made them the largest sugar producer in the Caribbean. Sugar immediately became the Dominican Republic's key money-making export, but baseball took a little longer to come around. At the turn of the century, many British of African descent came to the Dominican Republic from St.... [tags: Papers]
633 words (1.8 pages)
- Teaching About Gender It is no secret that boys and girls grow up hearing about all of their differences. In Hyde’s article, “The Gender Similarities Hypothesis”, she recognizes the frequency of psychological studies done to prove that males and females are very different. It is a common belief that males and females have more mental differences than similarities. As Hyde’s article explains, this seems to be untrue. In fact, it is the opposite that Hyde finds true. She claims that males and females are almost completely psychologically the same, with only a few differences.... [tags: Gender, Gender role, Female, Male]
1074 words (3.1 pages)
- There are many sports played across the country such as football, basketball, and baseball. Many families spend countless hours participating and watching sports all for the love of the game. Today, sports consume most people’s everyday lives. People have become fascinated with one sport in particular (“Baseball History…”). Baseball, America’s favorite past time, was created over 150 years ago evolving as necessary, and has been home to a myriad of teams and players, some of whom have left indelible marks upon the game.... [tags: Baseball, Babe Ruth, Home run, New York Yankees]
1265 words (3.6 pages)
- Many people who watch or play basketball always argue who is the best of all time, or which basketball player is better than the other. And the most two basketball players that get compared with each other is Kobe Bryant and Michael Jordan. Both of these two players are exciting to watch when they are on the basketball court. Taking a closer look into both of their careers you can see major similarities but you can also see where both of them have their different paths. Even though they both make the basketball world a better place the real question that needs to be answered is who is better.... [tags: Michael Jordan, National Basketball Association]
1121 words (3.2 pages)
- Magic Johnson More than an Average Athlete In my life, I had many people who I really admire from Tiger Woods, Michael Jordan, Sean Carter (Jay-z), and Robert Johnson. Others who have influenced me in my development of a person were my parents; my mother and my father were there for everything I have done in my life. The person who I model myself after is Earvin Johnson jr. also known as Magic Johnson. There are many reasons why but all really point to him defeated in adversity in many facets of life.... [tags: Basketball athlete hero role model]
1159 words (3.3 pages)
- Softball is known as the sister sport to baseball. They look very similar but are very different. Some say that baseball is a lot harder than softball and some say the complete opposite. But to form an opinion a bunch of things come into factor to try figure and figure out which side you stand on. From the size of the ball to the size of the field these things play into factor of each opinion. Both baseball and softball have qualities that set them apart and that can make one more challenging than the other at times.... [tags: Baseball, Softball, Baseball rules]
721 words (2.1 pages)
- I believe that coaches are meant to coach athletes in more than just sports. I believe that they should also coach character. Throughout my years in high school I have always been in sports year round, and with every sport, comes a coach that has their own techniques and their own way of going about things. However, coach Weiser’s techniques work for me, and coach Erp’s do not. (BE 7) Coach Erp indirectly taught me that I should not play basketball, whereas coach Weiser taught me that it is okay not to be okay, but also to never give up.... [tags: Coaching, Coach, Baseball, Thing]
900 words (2.6 pages)
- In the immortal words of Yogi Berra, “Baseball is ninety percent mental, and the other half is physical.” Although perhaps not mathematically correct, there is no doubt that the mental side of baseball plays a huge role in the sport. One of the primary psychological components of America’s favorite pastime stems from one source: the fans. When a game consists of mainly these three psychological components, fans can easily affect the outcome of the player’s game. There is very little research focused on specifically measuring the effects of spectators on baseball player performance.... [tags: Baseball, Major League Baseball, Chicago Cubs]
940 words (2.7 pages)
- With time running out and the game on the line there is only one thing to do, shoot the ball; in basketball there has been many instances of fundamentals and athleticism in which history has been made in the sport itself. Basketball as a sport has gone through many obstacles to actually becoming a serious competitor to baseball, which was bigger than most sports in its era. Basketball has gained recognition worldwide because of its fast tempo game and how it is played. To understand the game of basketball and the journey of becoming what it is today, the history is extremely important.... [tags: Basketball, James Naismith, College basketball]
1196 words (3.4 pages)
- The Beginning of Basketball Have you ever had an interest in how something was invented. An interest in how your favorite activity or hobby came about. Ever since I was introduced to sports and how competitive it was, I became hooked. I enjoy playing football, basketball, and baseball. Of the three main sports that I play, basketball seems to be my favorite. It challenges endurance, speed, accuracy, agility, and strength. I feel guilty not knowing who created the game that takes up most of my free-time.... [tags: History Basketball]
1192 words (3.4 pages)