This film, directed by David O. Russell, takes place in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania where former teacher Pat Solitano Jr. (Bradley Cooper) is released after 8 months of hospitalization by his mother Delores (2012). Due to living with bipolar disorder with mood swings, Pat has anger outburst if not managed properly. After finding his wife cheating and after brutally beating the man with her, Pat was committed where he was closely watched and given treatment such as medication (that could be spit out easily). With the court’s consent, Pat was let out to live with his parents, however, he must in return continue to see a therapist, take medication, and stay away from this wife Nikki.
Pat struggles to transition to a new lifestyle with his parents and without Nikki. Despite the disapproving comments from his family and friends, Pat had delusions that Nikki and him...
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Silver Linings Playbook is a 2012 American romantic comedy-drama film written and directed by David O. Russell, Cooper plays Patrick "Pat" Solatano, Jr., a man with bipolar disorder who is released from a psychiatric hospital and moves back in with his parents, played by Robert De Niro and Jacki Weaver. Determined to win back his estranged wife, Pat meets recently widowed Tiffany Maxwell, portrayed by Jennifer Lawrence, who offers to help him get his wife back if he enters a dance competition with her.... [tags: Mental disorder, Psychiatry, Schizophrenia]
1230 words (3.5 pages)
- The Run to Acceptance Most viewers would say that the movie Silver Linings Playbook was a romantic drama revolving around a man named Pat with bipolar disorder and an unstable widow named Tiffany. However, from the introduction of the protagonist Pat, it would seem that the director was conveying a deeper meaning about the fear and acceptance of mental illness rather than the universal love story that people saw from the surface. From the start, Pat was introduced off-centered with the camera to his back while he stated, “I’m better now”(Silver Linings Playbook), but it was apparent that he was still unstable.... [tags: Mental disorder, Schizophrenia, Mental illness]
980 words (2.8 pages)
- In the movie Silver Linings Playbook there are two main characters, Pat and Tiffany, whom portray a type of mental illness. Below, I will explain each character in regards to their symptoms and portrayal of mental illness and compare the information discussed in the Abnormal Psychology Textbook. Pat (Bradley Cooper): In the beginning, Pat was recently discharged from a mental health facility for dangerous aggression after witnessing his wife cheat on him with a co-worker. Personally, it seemed as though Pat Solitano meets the criteria for Bipolar I Disorder.... [tags: Borderline personality disorder, Bipolar disorder]
1093 words (3.1 pages)
- Silver Linings Playbook does a great job of showing the realities of bipolar disorder in all of its glory. Bipolar disorder is a mood disorder involving periods of incapacitating depression, with periods of extreme euphoria and excitement. The movie portrays this disorder by showing all of Pat and Tiffany’s angry and violent manic episodes, Pat’s obsession with getting his wife back, and their other manic tendencies. Pat has several manic episodes that are expressed by angry outbreaks, or meltdowns.... [tags: Bipolar disorder, Mania, Psychosis]
740 words (2.1 pages)
- Silver Linings Playbook Imagine, every day a person struggles with controlling untypical behavior caused by some sort of psychiatric disorder. For many, this is not imaginative this is reality. The character Pat in the movie Silver Linings Playbook, is a great example of someone who struggles daily to control their untypical behavior. Obsessive Compulsive Disorder also known as OCD, is a disorder commonly misunderstood and can be misused in social context. Most people do not understand this disorder and most people use this disorder to discriminate against those struggling from it.... [tags: Mental disorder, Body dysmorphic disorder]
861 words (2.5 pages)
- There are many movies, television shows, news stories and movies that portray individuals with disabilities. Films portraying anyone with a disability are more complicated than we think because of all the criticism they may receive and the makers need to be aware of the messages that they may be sending out. I chose to write a reaction critique of Silver Linings Playbook as well as The Blind Side. Both movie tell the story of individuals with disabilities and portray their daily life in their eyes as well as through the eyes of others.... [tags: Mental disorder, Disability, Michael Oher]
1571 words (4.5 pages)
- Character Synopsis Pat Solitano is the main character of the movie the Silver Linings Playbook. Pat had been sent to a psychiatric residential facility as a plea bargain not to have to serve time for committing a violent crime. Pat walked in on his wife having sex with another teacher he worked with while their wedding song was playing on the radio. Pat reacted violently and beat the teacher with tenure as Pat refers to him. Pat’s world has been turned upside down and when his mother picks him up from the facility eight months later Pat is going home to live with his parents.... [tags: Bipolar disorder, Mania, Bipolar spectrum]
1712 words (4.9 pages)
- In the movie, Silver Linings Playbook, it all started with a man named Pat Solitano who had a mental disorder. He was recently released from a psychiatric hospital and now resides with his parents. He had lost his wife and his job and life just was not happening in his favor. His aim was to win back his wife, which happened to be quite difficult in his case. That is until he met this widowed woman named Tiffany Maxwell, who promised to help him reach out to his wife if he returned a favor and danced with her in a competition.... [tags: Mental disorder, Psychiatry, Psychiatric hospital]
964 words (2.8 pages)
- The psychological disorder that was illustrated in the movie Silver Linings Playbook is bipolar disorder. The main character is Pat Solitano and he was diagnosed with bipolar disorder when he nearly beat his wife’s lover to death. As the movie goes on we are also introduced to Tiffany who seems just as “crazy” as Pat, but amazingly she helps him control his episodes through dancing. According to the DSM-5, a book published by the American Psychiatric Association, which helps psychologists diagnose a person with a mental illness, Pat does somewhat reach abnormality.... [tags: Bipolar disorder, Mania, Hypomania, Psychology]
802 words (2.3 pages)
- Synopsis Silver Linings Playbooks tells the story of Pat Solitano Jr. (played by Bradley Cooper), a high school teacher diagnosed with bipolar disorder who is trying to get his life back together. The movie opens as Pat is released from a psychiatric hospital after eight months of treatment and moves back in with his parents. He is determined to get back together with his wife, Nikki, despite all the signs that say she does not want to be with him - such as the restraining order she filed against him.... [tags: bipolar disorder, pat solitano, brain]
2568 words (7.3 pages)