The myths surrounding, female weight lifting are well known, and far too often mistaken as the truth. Very few women share in a passion for squats, presses, and curls, in part, because they fear bulking up into a she-Schwarzenegger. This widespread myth is very far from the truth. In fact, an ESPN profile of Olympic lifter Holley Mangold (a contestant on last seasons The Biggest Loser) notes that the typical woman is physically incapable of developing into the Incredible Hulk because of insufficient levels of testosterone (2012). Mangold, at 5 foot 8 inches and 330 pounds, told the reporter she was comfortable with her own physique and lamented that she would have more lifting peers “if women just re...
... middle of paper ...
... you have not seen properly demonstrated. Even if you start at a lower weight at first, technique is key to weightlifting. There are many resources online that you can learn proper technique from such as bodybuilding.com. The best resource is a friend that can observe you while you lift, and make corrections to your form so that you may avoid injury.
Every single woman should be lifting. Instead of the myths outweighing the truth, the benefits of strength training should be, no pun intended, outweighing the judgment. Several studies have proven that lifting is good for your heart, your bones, your mind, and so much more. If you are already weight lifting, you should encourage other women to do so as well. It is easy to get started with online tutorials. Having a workout buddy can be fun competition, and lead you both to a happy, healthy, and quality lifetime.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- The American Dream is referred to by many people as the reason to come to America. It is, or so they say, the pursuit of life, liberty, and happiness. Unfortunately they are incorrect, there truly is no American Dream, it is all an illusion given to us by our founding fathers as a reason for the inequality in which people are treated. I have lived in this country for 16 years now and have all the patriotic bullshit about how we give everyone equal opportunity and how everyone is equal in the eyes of the law.... [tags: Essays on the American Dream]
675 words (1.9 pages)
- Public assistance is a broad term for the many programs that are meant to help lift people out of poverty and hard times, yet some people abuse these programs and find ways to stay on public assistance for the long run. The solution to all the problems they cause is not hard to find. Welfare should be temporary. One of America's biggest misconceptions about public assistance is that of people on welfare. Rita Jensen, an investigative journalist in New York city and a former welfare recipient states that, "[W]hen one says 'Welfare mother' the listener hears 'black welfare mother.' This is a skewed perception that leads to an ongoing underlying racial motive against the welfare program.... [tags: Current Events]
670 words (1.9 pages)
- Since the beginning of recorded history, humans have always had a fascination with flight. Now that we live in a world where boarding an airplane and flying across the country – or even the world - is simply a part of everyday life, the wonder of flight has diminished for many. Despite this, physics students from all around continue to delight in the many physical forces that play a part in keeping these huge objects (like jumbo jets) from falling out of the sky. The common explanation given to those curious about how an airplane wing produces lift uses the Bernoulli Principle.... [tags: physics lift plane airplane]
1123 words (3.2 pages)
- Breast Lift Surgery – Rewrite Most women want to have firm, perky and sexy breasts because it makes them feel good about themselves. However, over the years, factors such as aging, breastfeeding, weight fluctuations, pregnancy, heredity, gravity and others can have a toll on their breasts causing them to lose firmness and change shape. Sagging breasts are not only unsightly, but also cause embarrassment and to women. As a result, some are willing to go to any length to get their strong and firm breasts back.... [tags: Plastic surgery, Breast, Breast reduction]
828 words (2.4 pages)
- Lift is a commonly used term to describe "something" that results in objects moving upwards against the force caused by gravity. This "something" is actually a force in itself. Lift is one of the four main forces that act upon all objects that move through the air. These four forces are: # Lift - an upward force on the object # Weight - a downward force due to the acceleration of gravity # Thrust - a forward force (propulsion) # Drag - a force caused by resistance that acts in the opposite direction of thrust Lift is a simple concept to grasp, yet the reason it exists is a complex one.... [tags: physics lift airplane fly]
1433 words (4.1 pages)
- American international relations with Cuba have almost always been tense. The cold war solidified the growing negative relations, and the embargo embodied it. But now that the cold war is over, as is the Cuban missile crisis, we’re left to wonder if the embargo is really necessary. Should the United States lift the embargo of Cuba. All of the evidence, be it economic, diplomatic, or social, points to yes. We should lift the embargo. The United States embargo of Cuba has its roots planted in 1960, 53 years ago, when “the United States Congress authorized President Eisenhower to cut off the yearly quota of sugar to be imported from Cuba under the Sugar act of 1948… by 95 percent” (Hass 1998, 3... [tags: international relations, cold war, trade, economy]
1425 words (4.1 pages)
- Whether you’re just starting out or a seasoned professional, knowing how to lift weights properly is a critical aspect to exercising. Knowing the proper way to lift weights can increase the effectiveness of exercising and avoid injury. Weight lifting can be fun and a great way to lose weight and keep it off. Getting started by learning the proper methods will help make this activity fun and effective. 1. Warm up before lifting weights. Light walking or jogging for 5 minutes before lifting weights and exercising gets the blood flowing to the muscles and gives a light stretch.... [tags: Instructional Essay, Process Essay, How To Essay]
581 words (1.7 pages)
- One of the first things that is likely to be noticed during a visit to the local airport is thewide variety of airplane styles and designs. No matter what each looks like like they alldepend on the the same four factors which are lift, weight, thrust, and drag Lift is the upward force created by the effect of airflow as it passes over and under the wings. It supports the airplane in flight. Weight opposes lift. It is caused by the downward pull of gravity. Thrust is the forward force which propels the airplane through the air.... [tags: essays research papers]
730 words (2.1 pages)
- Unlock the Gate to Cuba In the long and turbulent history between Cuba and the United States, it can well be argued that Cuba did not turn out quite like its other Latin American peers. Things seemed to be on the right track in the early 1900’s, when it appeared that Cuba was destined for a future of “independence”, like its neighbour Puerto Rico and it was yet another South American nation rife with the now atypical blend of affluent American investors and poor workers usually native to the land herself.... [tags: essays research papers]
2003 words (5.7 pages)
- Hollywood's Biggest Stars Where do Hollywood’s biggest stars come from. Why do we consider them to be the top of the many actors and actresses that show up in movies every month. Is their success and popularity the public’s doing, or does it stem from somewhere else, somewhere like Hollywood itself. I‘d say the latter is as probable as the former. Let us take Julia Roberts for example. Certainly not the most beautiful of all of Hollywood’s actresses, what makes Julia Roberts so special in the minds of Americans.... [tags: Actors Actresses Famous Papers]
2285 words (6.5 pages)
- Factors Contributing the Deaths of Romeo and Juliet
- Dissection of Tim O’Brien’s Prime Narrative Against Herzog’s Fifth Hypothesis
- Case Analysis: Cranston Nissan’s Service Department
- Curriculum Development Assignment: Importance of Play in Early Childhood
- Schizophrenia: Research Identifying Three Stages of Prodrome
- What´s Swing Jazz?