While there is a ton of pros to legalizing marijuana there are also cons. Although I may be for the legalization I am still not one hundred percent convinced that it is perfect. One major concern is the lack of any real recorded long term marijuana effects on the population. Since marijuana was just recently legalized fully we haven’t been able to really see how this will affect the health of the population. Before it was legalized it was second in substance dependencies. Also there are still a lot of doctors sceptical on marijuana and it’s. Some think it could be very beneficial while others still see it as extremely harmful. Another major concern is the ability of minors to obtain marijuana. With all of the new forms of marijuana coming out in Colorado there is a big concern for children safety. Selling things like cough drops and candy with marijuana in it proposes the risk of accidental poisoning of a child. While only time will tell if this becomes a problem one thing that has changed since the legalization is the amount of teens perceiving the drug as a harmful substance.
There is also a contamination risk with selling marijuana. They have found things like mold, mildew, E. coli, and salmonella in marijuana. There has actually been reported deaths from contaminated Marijuana. One article by R Hamadeh reports that a 34 year old man who was admitted to the hospital for Leukemia ended up having extreme symptoms which caused his death. Upon later investigation they had discovered that he had been smoking Marijuana very heavily weeks prior to his admission. They ended up testing the Marijuana he was smoking and ended up finding out that the Marijuana was not clean and had fungus growing on it. This caused th...
... middle of paper ...
...ccounts, however once Marijuana was legalized there was a massive increase bring the accounts up to nine-hundred. It seems to me like the reason possession fell in 2014 was due to the fact that you were legally allowed to carry a certain amount of Marijuana on your person. The legalization ended up leading to more people being caught smoking out in public and in parks.
While I feel they’re can be benefits to both sides of the legal Marijuana argument, there is still a lot we don’t know about the drug. I believe it’s only a matter of time before they start noticing more and more people driving under the influence. In a few years time more and more people will be developing lung cancers. While legalizing Marijuana is a smart business play for Colorado, is it the right plan? I think we will find out how harmful Marijuana can truly be because of this legalization.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- JJ is a 7 year old boy. He has post-traumatic stress disorder, bipolar disorder and impulse control disorder. He has been thrown out of numerous preschools and admitted to several hospitals for psychiatric issues. His mother has pursued all forms of medical and behavioral help for her son’s hyperactivity and aggressiveness. She came across medical marijuana while trying to research JJ’s problems and after discussing it with his doctors decided to give it a try. She took him off all his medications and put the marijuana in a muffin in amounts prescribed and monitored by the doctor.... [tags: Pro Legalized Marijuana Essays]
1731 words (4.9 pages)
- Should marijuana be legalized. Many Americans have this question roaming through their heads. Marijuana is an illegal drug in the U.S. and many other countries; it comes from dried flowers and leaves of the hemp plant. It has been available since the 1960s, but is 20 times more potent than before. Many youngsters believe that marijuana should be illegalized. However, they fail to know its many long term side effects. In the long run marijuana usage has a very high effect on the person’s body. Also, it’s known for a fact that marijuana has a high rate for addiction.... [tags: marijuana, drugs,]
645 words (1.8 pages)
- For thousands of years human beings have attempted to find ways to get passed the struggles of their lives. With the pain of the world stopping people from enjoying simple pleasures, sometimes there is a need for help. Marijuana brings millions of people relief from the pain they feel on a day-to-day basis. This completely natural plant which helped so many people has puzzled the leaders of our nation for a long time. The THC in marijuana causes its users to experience a mild-huluciginic or high.... [tags: Legalization of Marijuana]
1249 words (3.6 pages)
- Marijuana war Marijuana has been used since ancient times. The Chinese were the first to mention about marijuana use as a medical purpose in 2737 BC. It was then spread to India, African then later on Europe. Along with tobacco and marijuana the British made a lot of profit from marijuana crop ever since the Spanish brought cannabis to the North and South America in 1545. In the 1890, marijuana crop was so profitable that some state grew more marijuana than cotton. It was in the 1920’s that marijuana is available in stores and club.... [tags: Cannabis, Hashish, Global Marijuana March]
1013 words (2.9 pages)
- Should Marijuana be legalized. “Why is marijuana against the law. It grows naturally upon our planet. Doesn’t the idea of making nature against the law seem to you a bit . . . unnatural?”― Bill Hicks Marijuana was naturally grown on the earth, so don’t you think that should be legal to use. If your thinking no then there are some reason that will help you change your mind. Most people think Marijuana is just used to get high and do stupid stuff, but really Marijuana back in the day was used to make fabrics and fiber, it wasn’t just used for getting high.... [tags: law, deceases, conditions, medicinal marijuana]
1442 words (4.1 pages)
- Government prohibition on marijuana has been a back and forth debate. U.S citizens have been protesting the legalization of marijuana since the 1960’s, but it has become a bigger issue in the last five years. Ending prohibition on marijuana would be very beneficial decision to the U.S citizens and the government. Marijuana should be legalized for economic, illness treatment, and healthy recreational choices in the U.S. These are the main reasons why marijuana should be legalized. Marijuana should be legalized because it brings in a lot of extra tax and revenue income to the state.... [tags: Cannabis, Hashish, Cancer, Global Marijuana March]
1217 words (3.5 pages)
- Have you ever had a problem where there was a solution but it was out of reach. Many people suffer from illnesses that can be cured by marijuana. For a “drug” cannabis has many benefits from life-changing to small day-to-day benefits. Strokes, cancer, stress, arthritis, depression, and anxiety are just a few examples. Marijuana can also help control the abuse on pills and other prescription medicine which are addictive and potentially fatal. Marijuana has been suffering from propaganda and bias opinions for many years.... [tags: medical marijuana]
1194 words (3.4 pages)
- Most Americans are indoctrinated to believe that marijuana is harmful for you; however, upon closer inspection we see that marijuana has more positives than negative outcomes. Marijuana has been around since ancient times. It was first grown as a crop in colonial North America as a source of fiber. Marijuana has the most impact on certain parts of the brain, such as the hippocampus, the cerebellum, the basal ganglia and the cerebral cortex. Studies have shown that the high THC found in marijuana that effect these areas only provide therapeutic benefit that gives an individual a “high”.... [tags: medical marijuana, therapeutic drug]
733 words (2.1 pages)
- What is hemp. People often say and hear this word, but chances are they might not even know the true meaning of it. Hemp is a plant that produces cannabis and happens to be the most durable natural soft fiber on the face of the planet (The Union). Now, you might ask yourself how, such a useful plant can be illegal. My answer to you is marijuana. Marijuana or cannabis is produced from the hemp plants, and contains a chemical known as THC. This chemical plant gets you “high” when you smoke or ingest it properly, but there is so much more to marijuana than what meets the eye.... [tags: Pro Legalizing Marijuana]
843 words (2.4 pages)
- George Washington once said, “make the most you can of the Indian Hemp seed and sow it everywhere”. Hemp or marijuana is a plant, also called “weed”,”grass”, “herb”, “dope” ,“reefer”, and many other names, hat have been a major part in the United States history. In the 1800's, laws like the Vaccine Act of 1813 and the Pure Food and Drug Act of 1906 labeled plants that contain THC a narcotic and even label recreation cannabis as a poison. Medical cannabis is now legal in six states and another six are pending.... [tags: canabis, medicinal marijuana, laws]
1963 words (5.6 pages)
- The God Particle, By J. Harold Ellen
- The Cold War Of Yalta And Potsdam
- The Election Of 2004 : A Brutal Battle Between The Incumbent George W. Bush And The War Hero
- Toyota Prius Hybrid Electric Vehicles
- Effects Of Antidepressants On Children With Patients With Clinical Depression
- Adoption Is A Big Responsibility