To begin to understand why homework has become such a current issue, one must first understand the origin of this debate. The article “The Homework Debate” explains, “Throughout the first few decades of the 20th century, educators commonly believed that homework helped create disciplined minds” (Marzano). In continuation, the article then discusses how this view flip-flopped throughout the rest of the 20th century. Starting in 1940, those views suddenly began to change when homework began to interfere with household chores and activities. Merely ten years later when the Soviet’s launched Sputnik, American educators began to fear that our education system was lacking and more rigorous homework was assigned. Views on homework then switched again in 1980, when many theorists became concerned about homework negatively influencing children’s mental health (Marzano). Since this time, our education system has refused to pick a stance and continues to have educators that wrangle for both sides.
... middle of paper ...
Marzano, Robert, and Debra Pickering. "Membership." Educational Leadership. Vol. 64. N.p.: n.p., n.d. 74-79. Ser. 6. Special Topic / The Case For and Against Homework. ASCD, Mar. 2007. Web. 06 Apr. 2014.
Parker, Clifton. "Stanford Research Shows Pitfalls of Homework." Stanford News. Stanford University, 10 Mar. 2014. Web. 05 Apr. 2014.
"Research Spotlight on Homework." NEA. National Education Association, n.d. Web. 1 Apr. 2014.
Sorrentino, Johanna. "The Homework Debate." Education.com. N.p., 29 July 2013. Web. 01 Apr. 2014.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- When you think about school one of the first things that pops into people’s mind is homework. Basically if you have asked your parents or your grandparents they would say that they remember the homework load. Now we all know that homework can be beneficial but also can be very unhealthy with all of the stress that it causes. Over the years the homework load has increased because of the fact that schools think that they need to try to keep up with other countries in academics. And will doing all of this homework now be all for nothing later.... [tags: stress, parents, students, obesity]
1063 words (3 pages)
- Having to go to school is something that people dread to do, although education is what drives most people to go forward. An education is an important thing to have because everyone would need it to be able to help in their society. Being able to receive a proper education is essential because one day someone might be able to overcome something that wasn’t able to be overcome in the past. Then any men, women, or even children can make the difference in the world, even if it is just a small difference.... [tags: Higher education, Education, High school, School]
1779 words (5.1 pages)
- ... I'm numb to it already. I'll cheat to get by” (http://abcnews.go.com/Primetime/story?id=132376). At school cheating has become the usual. Me personally the second I walk into my first period class I have at least 3 students ask me for homework so that they can copy it. Its amazing that students don’t even feel it is wrong anymore its just what everyone does so they do it to. Since some classes are graded on a curve students feel more pressure to cheat so they keep up to the cheaters. As one anonymous student put it "There's other people getting better grades than me and they're cheating.... [tags: school, education, teachers]
685 words (2 pages)
- Time and the Art of living The article “Time and the Art of living” by Robert Grudin talks about time of one’s journey through his/her life, the memory of the past, hope and fear for the upcoming future, one’s experience of the present, wit, courage, time, and ways to communicate with the past and future. Living is an art; it’s an art that follows how one can color his/her life for better or for worst. This article is very interesting. After reading this article I think that by facing the memory of the past, hope and fear for the upcoming future and the present will help us learn more on our self and identify the problems that we should face and instead of running from those mistakes, we sh... [tags: Time, Present, Future, Past]
736 words (2.1 pages)
- Stress is our formidable enemy. It affects our health, personality and relationship with people around us. In my entire life, I have seen so many people and my closet friends completely break – emotionally, physically and mentally – under their stress. I realize that students who are so young and cannot cope with different kinds of problem in school; those are the significant problems of many students. In order to eliminate stress, I have to find its causes first. I have many ways of dealing with stress depending on the causes of stress on case-by-case basis.... [tags: Present, Time, Causality, Past]
787 words (2.2 pages)
- My Growth in Psychology My growth in psychology has been very great from all the things I’ve learned in this class. Psychology taught me a lot about myself and why I do some of thing things that I do, and it all taught be a lot about others around me, like my friends, acquaintances, and family. Psychology should be taught to everyone because it definitely helps you learn new things and understand things in a much different way than you would’ve in the past. When you learn more about yourself, you grow as an individual.... [tags: Psychology, Perception, Mind, Thing]
1376 words (3.9 pages)
- 1. Begin by giving examples of the child’s positive traits: Good morning. I hope you are doing well today. Thank you for coming in to have a conference with me. I am Miss Hale and I have been student teaching in here since October and I will continue in this classroom with Mrs. Allison until the beginning of May. I have enjoyed getting to know the students, specifically getting to know Kaitlyn. She is very full of energy and has a great imagination. There have been several times on the playground when she has been involved in pretend play.... [tags: Education, Homework help service, Student]
1331 words (3.8 pages)
- Classroom Routines and Procedures Every teacher must have a set of classroom routines and procedures to maintain order in the classroom. When entering the classroom, students will enter in a quiet manner. They will sit at their assigned desk and have all material ready to begin on required work. Once the bell rings and the door is closed, students will be seated and working. Tardiness is unacceptable and if the student receives more than three unexcused tardies per nine weeks, a referral will be given to the office and a phone call will be made the parent or guardian.... [tags: Education, Teacher, School, Homework help service]
1168 words (3.3 pages)
- Bridge between College and High School There is a bridge between College and High school, and for those of you who feel that college and high school are the same let me be the person to tell you that you’re wrong. Last year I started my semester in college. I was nervous, but I was also anxious and eager at the same time. I have had friends and family tell me that college is easy, it’s just like high school. So everything that you did in high school to get your diploma. You can do the same exact thing in college to get your degree.... [tags: High school, Grade, Academic term, Homework]
1243 words (3.6 pages)
- 1. My first year of college did not go as planned. The first year of college is an opportunity for you to make new friends and that stride into adulthood. Coming in I was more worried about making new friends and fitting in rather than getting my lessons. This being the first time living on my own with no parents checking in on me, making sure I 'm in bed at a decent time, or waking me up in morning so I 'll be up on time for class in the morning. I 'm result that put me behind the entry ball and now I 'm playing catch up.... [tags: Homework, Study skills, Class I railroad]
820 words (2.3 pages)
- The Monsanto Company's Relationship and Performance in the Market Amidst Ethical, Social and Legal Odds
- To What Wxtent do Android OS Custom ROMs Benefit the Final Users and Google as the System Developer Company?
- Hip-Hop/Rap: Music Appreciation
- The Commitments of Machiavelli's Scholar
- Djuna Barnes: A Forgotten Ferocity of the 1920s
- Trying to Overcome their Sexual Addiction or Dependency