It was once I got home when it all hit me like a sledge hammer to the face; a sledge hammer swung by a major league baseball player. I was on social media looking at posts and the same phrases popping up like moles in the game Whack-a-Mole.
This just made me think, am I ready?
Millions of questions like this flooded my head, drowning any other idea or thought that tried to plug it up. What have I been doing to prepare? Had I really done anything to this point for college? What have I been doing with my time, and where did it all go? All these questions were attacking me like a swarm of bees that have had their hive harmed, I couldn’t control them so I just had to stop and let it all sink in and calm myself.
So I thought about the things that I did do. I took the SAT like most people and I took classes that gave college credit, but really most students that do honors like myself had done that already also. I had not, on the other hand, went and did any college visits, looked into scholarships, or even admission requirements for the universities I wanted to go to. I hadn’t even looked up the one thing I have wanted to do since 6th grade; I wanted to go into the military.
Thinking of my future I knew I wanted to do something meaningful for my country to ...
... middle of paper ...
...y plan for after highschool.
I came to that strip mall knowing I wanted to join the military but I did not know what branch I was going to do or even what my plan was to do in there so I could still go to college. I came out of there, it was like I saw a light at the end of the tunnel know as high school and there stood a man in army camouflage. I knew then driving home I was going to do army 100% and I was going to do reserves till I got my associates at Chemeketa.
This changed my life not from how it kick started me into figuring out my plans for after high school, but how for everything I have wanted like going into the military I never really figured out anything before it is too late. I started that summer with a look of dismay reflecting on what I had and hadn’t done but when I walked out that army room I felt more determined, ready to truly face my future.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Summer vacation: "school holiday in summer between school years and the longest break in the school year, typically between 6 and 14 weeks (Wikipedia)". Summer break originates all the way back to the mid 1850 's for rural American schools. Summer break was not always around for all schools though, it only came around to all schools in the early 1900 's due to Americans wanting a standardized school schedule across the nation. The summer break was then used for students to relax their minds from school and for mostly to help in the fields for growing season (infoplease).... [tags: High school, Education, School, Summer vacation]
1017 words (2.9 pages)
- It took me a while to land where I am at now, and I could not have done it without the help of James. He encouraged me, and he believes in me. Therefore, college is a big step for me, so I know I have to see it through. Fighting the feeling of hopelessness, stress, and not having enough money is what drifted me away from college. There was no other motivation left in me, but suddenly that all changed. I have always wanted a finer life for myself. I have faced a lot of obstacles throughout this journey.... [tags: High school, College, Renting]
956 words (2.7 pages)
- Going into the first semester of college, it was difficult to know what to expect. I have no older sibling, and only one older cousin who had told me the biggest change was the social aspect. When he told me this earlier in the summer of this year, I didn’t really know exactly what he meant by that, because I always felt that the social aspect of school was something that came naturally, as a result of being in the same room with people for almost 180 days. As this semester is coming to a close, I think I have been able to better understand what he was talking about.... [tags: High school, College, Secondary school]
953 words (2.7 pages)
- When the time came to make my decision for college as a senior in high school, there were plenty of ways to compare colleges and find the “right” one for me. I started off having a huge array of colleges, but one by one I noticed how my horizon of possible options were getting smaller and smaller. My possibilities of colleges weren’t decreasing because of my grades; the reason was simply to help my family run our business. At the time, me leaving several hours away would cause great strain on my parents managing the whole business while taking care of my younger sister, so moving a couple hours away was not feasible at the time.... [tags: High school, College, Dormitory, University]
899 words (2.6 pages)
- Summer intern in the hospital To fulfill the requirements to apply for graduate school, I started my internship as a medic last summer in a local hospital back in China. It was not only a great experience for improving professional techniques, but also I learnt the meaning of life and the responsibility I had on my shoulders. I was both excited and scared on my first day. I was curious about everything that I could see, smell and hear. I was excited because everything was new to me. The office was very quiet, all the physicians were concentrate on their work.... [tags: physician, blood pressure, nightmare]
1158 words (3.3 pages)
- We Cannot Make a College Perfect; However, We Can Make It Better I. A becoming freshman struts with confidence between the sliding doors of the Student Center, smells the freshly prepared pizza ready to be served at Sbarros, and sees the smiling faces as people try to convince every individual to enroll at Hofstra University; yet fail to admit that every university has its limitations and failed expectations. A journalist from US News reports, “Hofstra University 's ranking in the 2016 edition of Best Colleges is National Universities, 135.” (Hofstra University) Every university has different aspects to the campus and academic area that make it unique and have its own individual attention... [tags: University, Student, College, Hofstra University]
1139 words (3.3 pages)
- The Path to Psychology I would like to have a career in Psychology because most things about it interest me. I am not sure exactly which field of it I would like to major in but I have an Idea. There is about 170,000 psychologist jobs in the united states, so It sounds like its a reasonable field to find a job I am happy with. I realized that I wanted to have a career in psychology when I first started my psychology class in high school. Everything we were doing just interested me, it made me want to pay attention to what we were doing and really try to learn the materials.... [tags: Academic degree, Bachelor's degree]
1021 words (2.9 pages)
- 1. My first year of college did not go as planned. The first year of college is an opportunity for you to make new friends and that stride into adulthood. Coming in I was more worried about making new friends and fitting in rather than getting my lessons. This being the first time living on my own with no parents checking in on me, making sure I 'm in bed at a decent time, or waking me up in morning so I 'll be up on time for class in the morning. I 'm result that put me behind the entry ball and now I 'm playing catch up.... [tags: Homework, Study skills, Class I railroad]
820 words (2.3 pages)
- Reform of the Electoral College In the past 200 years, many aspects of our society and those of the world have changed, ranging from social morals and ethics to technology. Through the great leaps and bounds technology has made, transferring information has gone from something that could have taken weeks to virtually an effortless and instantaneous norm of everyday life. This ease of information exchange has caused many things to change, be it the growing popularity of the Internet and e-mail or the ridiculous amount of television channels ever ready to inform the average citizen of the happenings around the community, state, country, and world.... [tags: Papers]
2129 words (6.1 pages)
- `1 The story of Korleone Young is a saddening one. Korleone was one of the top high school basketball players in the nation while he was in high school. At all the summer basketball camps, he played above his high school peers. During his senior season he dominated all his team’s competition. He had every major Division I basketball program wanting to give him a full scholarship. All of the national powerhouses like Duke, North Carolina, Michigan State, and many more all recruited Korleone heavily.... [tags: essays research papers fc]
1231 words (3.5 pages)