SHOULD ANIMALS BE USED FOR RESEARCH
Animal testing in scientific and commercial research has a long and controversial history. Some industries for example, as cosmetic manufacturers and pharmaceutical research companies treat animals to test their new products. Animals like rabbits, rats, monkeys, and many more are experimented in the research testing. Animals are not only restricted to product testing, but also needed by biology students to study body function, body parts and practice surgeries for learning and research. Animals are now protected by law; known as the Animal welfare act of 1966, this law regulates the treatment and protection of animals. “We have recently received the 2012 statistics for animals used in research under the Animal Welfare Act. Overall the number of animals used in research fell by 16% since 2010, falling over 180,000 from over 1.1 million (2010) to just over 950,000 (2012).” Animal testing has encouraged numerous achievements in solutions and guarantees that items are safe and secure before treating humans. This development has many advantages also but has a negative side. Many people consider these practices on animals as a cruel and indecent achievement. Animals should be used for research because during research procedure animal suffer very minimal pain and suffering. Animals search can be helpful as we are genetically identical and provide us cure from sever diseases (“American and Medical science”).
Science, medicine and animals invariably walk hand in hand. New drugs and medicine cure cancer and diseases that are tested on rats and mice. Because of the common factor genetically identical to humans, mice and other laboratory animals have been active in the development of organ transplants. To...
... middle of paper ...
...mal’s health is monitored and procedures are followed accordingly. For any type of research scientists only use healthy and well-nourished animals because testing unhealthy animals could lead to erroneous or fatal consequences (“Animal Experimentation”).
People in today’s society want the benefits that are derived and invented from the animal experiments however they also want animals to be treated well and undergo minimal pain and distress. Progression has its own pros and cons. The quality of a healthier life has come from the significance we attribute to both people and creatures of life. It makes no senses to sacrifice future generations’ health and well-being by not using animals for experiments and finding the cure for the diseases. We can achieve this by handling the animals with humanely behavior and treatment with advancing technology and medicine.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Name: Alitta Sothisai Student ID: 67557 Should animals be used for research. Animal testing is the use of animals in medical experiments to test and control the variables that affect the behaviour of a biological system under study. Animal testing is conducted in university, there use animal testing for industry. For example, defence research, breeding, and toxicology. In education, animal testing is including with psychology or biology courses. However, the main reasons are flowing. Firstly, animals testing has many life-saving cures and treatment.... [tags: Animal testing, Animal rights, Human body]
1076 words (3.1 pages)
- Should animals be used for research. It blows my mind that this question is still being discussed and debated. That there are people in this world who actually agree that animals should get such torture. To think of how many poor, helpless animals had to suffer in order for people to find out if material things such as, medicine and makeup, are safe to use. Having animals used for research, experiments, and testing is just plain out wrong. Animals suffer just as humans do, unlike humans, animals can’t speak out to defend their rights.... [tags: Animal testing, Animal rights, Skin, Draize test]
1047 words (3 pages)
- We have all heard statements and read labels saying “against animal testing”, “animal cruelty-free product” and “no animals were harmed in the making of this movie…” Yet still to this day many companies continue to use animals for product and drug testing. Evidently, animal testing is a very controversial issue in the science and animal advocacy communities; as it serves as a safer and cost- efficient way to test new medicines and product lines. However, many will argue it is an unethical and inhumane way to treat animals, as science has made tremendous strides in evolution and can change their methods.... [tags: Animal Testing, Animal Abuse]
1065 words (3 pages)
- ... The researchers are only trying to protect humans, animals, and the environment. (“Why Animals are Used." AnimalResearch.Info. N.p.. Web. 29 Jan 2014. <http://www.animalresearch.info/en/designing-research/why-animals-are-used/>.) Several pros say that animal researching is acceptable, but that side of the situation does not provide any decent reasoning or proof. The cons have good reasoning and proof. Animal researching has not saved many lives like one of the comments say. Animals are very different from humans, so they make poor testing subjects.... [tags: diseases, products, pain]
742 words (2.1 pages)
- ... While some believe that it is necessary to test the products on animals before trying them on humans, the others stand by their support for the animals. Even though many major cosmetic companies have claimed to discontinue the practice due to new alternative ways, it still continues around the world. Companies like L’Oreal, Lancôme, Max Factor, Sally Hansen still continue to use animal testing on their cosmetics where as companies such as Avon, Estee Lauder, The Body Shop, Clinique are known to be against animal testing.... [tags: abuse, exploitation, experiments]
522 words (1.5 pages)
- For the morally driven question should animals be used in medical research, the answer is yes. It has been proven over the course history that animals prove insight to many of the medical questions we ask today. As science began to development so did the testing of animals and humans for medical research. Animals prove many insights to how to cure many illness. Animals should be used for medical research, because many of the animals are links to answers that could save the whole human race. For the entire existence of the human race animal testing has always been a part of it.... [tags: Animal testing, Human, Medical research]
1717 words (4.9 pages)
- Should animals be used for medical research. 1. Introduction The deployment of animals for medical research has brought heated debates from both the proponents and opponents each holding to their views in a tight manner. Those who are in support of animal research argue that it has been constituting a vital element in the advancement of medical sciences throughout the world providing insights to various diseases, which have helped in the discovery and development of various medicines that have brought an improvement in the qualify of living of people.... [tags: Animal Rights ]
1038 words (3 pages)
- Do animals deserve to get their rights taken. We are the “Nazis” to the animals. Think about it. According to At issue, from the SIRS data base The use of animals for scientific research has been going on since the ancient Greeks and Romans. The Pro views, animals should be researched on because so far it has helped the development of treatment for anthrax, diabetes, rabies, polio, smallpox and many more. The Con views, animals should not be researched on because animals have thoughts, feelings and desires, also testing on animals is cruel and inhumane and causes millions of deaths of animals.... [tags: Animal testing, Human]
1275 words (3.6 pages)
- Should Animals Be Used for Scientific Research There is always a special relationship between humans and animals, and some people will consider and treat their home animals as a part of their family members. In the recent decade, the animal experimentation plays a very significant role for biomedical research. Those animal experimentation allows scientists to do medical research on animals to develop new drugs for saving human life and preventing human suffering from diseases, and it also helps to ensure the safety of the drugs.... [tags: scientists, drugs, labs]
658 words (1.9 pages)
- Animals Should be used for Research Testing Animal rights activists continually oppose the medical research that involves animals as test subjects. Too many people have come to the conclusion that medical researchers are cruel and inhumane. In many cases the good of the research is overlooked and the bad is used. Even though many people may believe that animal research is morally wrong, animal research should continue because it is critical to helping heal human lives. There is not yet an available alternate to animal research.... [tags: Papers]
377 words (1.1 pages)