The first thing we will do to read an article usually read the title. Also, the title may become the reason for us to start read an article. Like me, sometimes I watch a news title which is interested me then I will choose to read it. So, I think a good title will make your article become more attractive. “Sonny Blues”, this title seems have two meanings. The story about Sonny and the story about Sonny’s Blues. These two meanings are connect to each other. Sonny’s story include his life, his music, and the struggle of his inner world. Sonny’s Blues is focus on talk about his music life. When we read about the life of Sonny we may use sympathy mood to think about his encounter. He felt restricted in his teenage life and can’t have good way to adjust his struggle. In my opinion, the child which is the second one in the family may have less attention than older child. Sonny is the youngest child and he thought his parents can’t understand him very well. So he used to bury struggle in his heart and didn’t share with each other. The life of Sonny is connect with his music which I think the title combined these two things very well. It help reader to understand the story of author want to tell. During reading process, the author also write more details about his title. For example, when Sonny try to explain for his brother why he use drug and something about playing piano, but his brother don’t ...
... middle of paper ...
.... He became real to me again.” (36) It seems to setting the stage for later. And he saw the younger students and they remind him to remember Sonny in that age. Another flashback like Sonny’s brother saw their mother alive in the last time. This flashback tell mother afraid of her living and no one will take care of Sonny. In Sonny’s letter he mentioned “Give my love to Isabel and the kids and I was sure sorry to hear about little Gracie.” (40) I think this sentence made narrator felt again how hard for lost family and he realized he can’t lose Sonny. And narrator decide to understand his little brother and help him.
Above all, we usually have conflicting emotions for the things we don’t understand very clearly. Just like narrator thought music is the reason for Sonny used drug. Sometimes if we spend time to know the thing we may find differences or new.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- In the introduction to 100 Years of the Best American Short Story, Lorrie Moore says, “A short story is about love. It is always about love. And yet it is not a love story.” Explain how this statement holds true in one of the stories we have read. How, specifically, is the story about love, but not a love story. The quote from Lorrie Moore says, “A short story is about love. It is always about love. And yet it is not a love story.” Means that even though there is love of some kind in a story doesn’t mean that it has to be anything more than the love of a family member, a best friend, or the love people have for their pets.... [tags: Love, Family, Fiction, Short story]
1399 words (4 pages)
- Approaching Oppression When identifying the common theme of Baldwin’s short stories “Sonny’s Blues” and “Going to Meet the Man”, it is clever to first distinguish the writing style of this creative author. Baldwin was a famous writer of his period because of the way he interpreted reality into a story. Around this point in America, racial tension and self-identity between cultures were at a peak and sparked many different ideas towards Baldwin’s writings.... [tags: Short story, Fiction, Sexual intercourse]
1531 words (4.4 pages)
- In most short stories the entire plot progress within one area. The local and global settings do not change, but “Sonny’s Blues” by James Baldwin is a little different. “Sonny’s Blues” follows an unnamed protagonist trying to reconnect with his younger brother Sonny, who struggles with heroin addiction. In the story, the Global setting of Harlem stays the same while the local varies from scene to scene. These changes in setting aren’t accidental. This was a conscious decision by Baldwin and it is the job of the reader to understand why the changes in the setting matter.... [tags: English-language films, American films, Fiction]
734 words (2.1 pages)
- J. D. Salinger was an American writer who wrote fiction short stories and novels. Some critics don't like his books, yet others do. He had a remarkable life and story. Salinger was an influential 20th century American writer whose works were very scrutinized. Jerome David Salinger was born on January 1, 1919. He was known as J. D. Salinger. He was born in New York, New York. His father's name was Sol Salinger. His mother's name was Miriam Jillich Salinger. His father was Jewish and his mother was a Christian.... [tags: influential American writers]
1322 words (3.8 pages)
- In fictional literature characterization is vital as it forms reader empathy enabling a story to seem realistic. In fiction authors use different types of characteristics to tell their stories such as round, flat, or dynamic which then mold into either a protagonist, antagonist, or secondary character. These characters have different roles they fulfill in the work of literature. For example, an antagonist is a character that represents a force or obstacle in which the protagonist, the main character, must overcome.... [tags: Fiction, Character, Short story, Novel]
1290 words (3.7 pages)
- Short Story Characteristics The short story is a concise form of narrative prose that is usually simpler and more direct compared to longer works of fiction such as novels. Therefore, because of their short length, short stories rely on many forms of literary devices to convey the idea of a uniform theme seen throughout the script. This theme is illustrated by using characteristics that are developed throughout the story such as, plot, setting and characters. The three main components are developed throughout the story in order to guide the reader to the underlying theme, which is necessary as a short story lacking a theme also lacks meaning or purpose.... [tags: plot, setting characters]
627 words (1.8 pages)
- “Despite its’ brevity, the short story is capable of dealing with important issues”, this statement is very true as many controversial of today have been recognized by the authors of the 19th Century short stories. Some of these issues include; the class struggle, poverty, death, equality, sanitation, education and more. In this piece, I will be linking some of these issues with a few short stories. The ones I have chosen are; The Nightingale and the Rose, by Oscar Wilde, the Yellow Wallpaper, by Charlotte Perkins Gilman, and Hop Frog, by Edgar Allan Poe.... [tags: Short Stories]
826 words (2.4 pages)
- The Genre Analysis of Traditional and Modern Short Stories The traditional short story is a genre of a prose. It is a fiction work that presents a world in the moment of an unexpected change. The traditional short story obeys some rules, such as the unexpected change and major events with detail. The modern short story is a revolution which is based on the traditional short story. In other words, if the traditional short story is in the first floor, the modern short story is in the second floor.... [tags: Short story, Fiction, Novel, Novella]
908 words (2.6 pages)
- “Sonny’s Blues” is considered as one of Baldwin’s first short stories. Initially printed in the 1957 Partisan Review, “Sonny’s Blues” revolves around the narrator as he gets to learn who his drug-hooked, piano-playing baby brother, Sonny, really is. Set in Harlem, similar to numerous of Baldwin’s former works; “Sonny’s Blues” is a steady struggle involving light and darkness, disappointment and salvation (Kim 71). The story was incorporated in the short-story anthology “Going to Meet the Man” published in 1965.... [tags: the metamorphosis, baldwin, sonny blues]
1636 words (4.7 pages)
- The collection of short stories by Alice Munro in 2001 reflects the feelings and writing style that is straightforward and precise. The Munro’s stories often conceal the abilities of fiction. These stories openly consider broken trust, death and mental illness. Letting know to the readers a realistic window into the life’s misfortunes and truths. In the amazing short story “Hateship, Friendship, Courtship, Loveship, marriage” the narrator begins with a protagonist Johanna, a simple, poor and single woman who work as the housekeeper for Mr.... [tags: Short story, Marriage, Alice Munro, Fiction]
913 words (2.6 pages)