Stopwatch countdown beeps like a bomb. Final scribbles accelerate in time to the eerie ding, ding, ding. Time’s up. Tossing aside the pen, I stand and stumble, landing behind a podium. Gulp. Then… syllables trickle and burst, berating air, shimmying up off note cards into the audience. Sounds shape shift into creatures creating cadence. I’m doing it!
I feel like Daniel Webster reincarnated, but waddling in high heels and stuffed into a black suit, I look like a penguin. Sentences begin toppling off my lower lip and crumble into opponents' rebuttals. We lose our first debate to a team who thinks WikiLeaks are leeks: true defeat.
Undaunted, I immerse myself. I search for complexities in heaps of Foreign Affairs. I file information bits in my gray matter. Black Hawk Down and the Rwandan Genocide zip zap together, and my brain whirs: 738 million refugees, 14 million child marriages, and 6 million American guns. I slay straw men, demolish Deontological framew...
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Music File-Sharing- Right or Wrong. To file share or not to file share. That is the question. Should free music off the internet be legal. Who is in the right- Napster or the music industry. There are some of the topics I hoped to discuss when I invited four journalists to my house to debate the controversial issue of online music. Ding-dong. “Uh-oh”, I think, wiping my hands on a paper towel. “They must be here early.” It’s six-thirty, my guests aren’t due to arrive until seven, and I am already a half-hour behind.... [tags: Internet File Sharing Essays]
2547 words (7.3 pages)
- ... Fundamental requirements for using blogs; are internet access and typing skills, the easy use of internet and typing skill have encouraged information technology users to institute personal blogs and then proliferating worldwide. There were 35,000 active blogs in the Arab region in 2009, growing to 40,000 by 2010. (The Initiative for an Open Arab Internet, 2011). This number has amplified significantly since the 2011 uprisings, speculated at 600,000 blogs today, as per the Arabic Network for Human Rights Information (Arabic Network for Human Rights Information Online, 2011).... [tags: online networking, arab internet]
698 words (2 pages)
- The internet is one of the most exciting phenomena to be invented in the world of technology. It was widely received and accepted by all sectors of the society, including the government, and businesses. The communication and media platforms were on the frontline in embracing the new technology. The internet is currently the largest source of music and video content. The availability of high-speed internet connections and a creation of inexpensive and easily distributable digital contents has facilitated to the high number of downloads.... [tags: Copyright, Copyright infringement, Peer-to-peer]
1777 words (5.1 pages)
- Results Respondent Profile The survey was distributed via Facebook posts, email requests and printed QR code advertisements to musicians across Alaska. A total of 119 musicians participated. Respondents were asked to participate and volunteered to complete the survey on a matter of convenience for both parties. All participants (n=119) qualified themselves as musicians claiming residence in Alaska. These musicians ranged from armature to professional. Of these, 92% claimed to use online media. Five percent claimed to not use online media, and three respondents did not answer this question.... [tags: survey results]
1984 words (5.7 pages)
- Communication in the Workplace Communication is the process of sharing ideas, information, and messages with others in a particular time and place. So the way at which you communicate in certain circumstances will differ based on your environment. This is especially evident in the workplace. You will be hard pressed to find a form of communication that so drastically contrast an individual’s everyday communication. The workplace is professional environment that centered around achieving the organizations objectives.... [tags: Employment, Communication, Sexual harassment]
1057 words (3 pages)
- A Clean Well-Lighted Place A Clean, Well-Lighted Place by Ernest Hemingway looks at age from the viewpoint of an inexperienced and experienced individual, with the aid of an old man to emphasize the difference between the two. This story takes place late one night in a caf. The caf is clean, pleasant, and well lighted, which brings some kind of comfort to the atmosphere. Here in the caf sits a deaf, lonely, older man, who although is deaf can feel the difference that the night brings to the caf, a younger waiter, who believes people stay around the caf to make his life miserable, and a waiter who is a bit older and seems to understand that this place, the caf, is comforting.... [tags: A Clean Well Lighted Place Ernest Hemingway]
1675 words (4.8 pages)
- Social media and other online tools have connected people all over the world and allowed them to share, create, and spend time with others in more ways than ever before, regardless of distance. Social media and other similar online sharing tools were created so that people could have conversations, share pictures, videos, music, join communities, connect with friends and family, and form new relationships. Everything from sending messages to online games and chat rooms have been able to connect family members and friends from the comfort of each’s own living rooms, even if they are on separate ends of the globe.... [tags: Social network service, Facebook]
1432 words (4.1 pages)
- Place: Place can be conceptualised as being a “physical setting” or a “simulated location” (Moores 2003: 11) and can be seen in a symbolic, material or experiential dimension. Many scholars have introduced the concept of media space, such as John Urry (2000). However, it is the works of Doreen Massey (1995), Joshua Meyrowitz (1985, 1994) and Paddy Scannell (1996) who have defined place as being either pluralised or marginalised. The Doubling of Place: Scannell introduced the concept of the “doubling of place” (Scannell 1996: 172) which is applicable for understanding contemporary media.... [tags: location aware technology]
2423 words (6.9 pages)
- Electronic File Sharing Often times new technology enables completely new activities, discoveries, and ways of living, once not possible without that particular technology. An example of this would be the microscope and telescope, which now allow us to see things not possible before. Other times, new technology allows us to do things which we did before, but in a different way.1 A good example of this is electronic file sharing over the Internet. Unauthorized file sharing was possible before the Internet, but on a much smaller scale.... [tags: Argumentative Persuasive Essays]
2698 words (7.7 pages)
- Online Music Sharing Will cds and cassettes soon become extinct like the 8 track and vinyl records. Well, that very well may become the case due to online music sharing. Music sharing has become the hottest, most popular thing now-a-days for teens and college students across the nation. This innovative idea is now caught in between a war of advocates and anti-advocates, courts have now become involved, which side are you on. I don’t know about you but I’m all for the online music sharing. I’m for it simply because I am one who doesn’t have a lot of time to go review and listen to cd’s to hear their potential.... [tags: essays research papers fc]
1193 words (3.4 pages)