Sexuality amongst adolescents is prevalent throughout our culture and is accepted by some in our society. In review of this topic, when perceived through a biblical worldview, according to scripture, adolescents should not practice sexual behavior. Therefore, in an attempt to help prevent sexual activity in adolescents and practice abstinence, this review will help Christians and parents understand what factors and correlations that have been explored in this adolescent population who are sexually active. Existing research shows that alcohol and stress are two factors that contribute to risk in adolescents and sexual behavior. Therefore, it can be said that adolescents who partake in alcohol consumption and who are stressed are a higher risk for sexual behavior.
Alcohol use in adolescents
Among the most common and highest correlation in all sexually active adolescents, male
And female, we find that frequent use of alcohol determines the likelihood of sexual behavior (Harvey & Springer, 95). In their research “Factors associated with sexual behavior among adolescents”, Marie Harvey and Clarence Springer surveyed over a thousand students, in search of factors that were the same amongst adolescents that were engaged in sexual behavior. Some of the factors included socio economic status and education single or dual parent homes. Over five hundred male students responded to the survey with sixty percent of the of participants having engaged in sexual activity (Harvey & Springer, 95). When they surveyed the females close to five hundred responded with forty percent having engaged in sexual activity (Harvey & Springer, 95). Many of the studies tha...
... middle of paper ...
...ed the common factors, correlations, associated with adolescents engage in sexually behavior. In our review alcohol and stress where the two most common factors in adolescent sexual behavior, with peer, and conformity pressures, having secondary influences on sexual behaviors. I also reviewed the Bio, Social, psycho and spiritual factors involved in this problem. Lastly, I provided solution based on scripture and research I an attempt to aid in the problem. Finally, this subject has personally prepared me for when my children will face these problems a few years from now. I feel we can help identify adolescents at risk. We can help parents and Christians understand which adolescents are in need, so therefore we can go out and be a light, shining a clear understanding of what healthy sexuality should resemble and what options are available for combat of these factors.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Eunice Clark SOC – 213 Part 1 Milestone 2 Research and Approach The social variables I have identified in fatherless children are poverty, crime, education and sexuality. Fatherlessness is the determinant of each of the variables because, according to The National Fatherhood Initiative, Children in father-absent homes are almost four times more likely to be poor. In 2011, 12 percent of children in married-couple families were living in poverty, compared to 44 percent of children in mother-only families (Fathers).... [tags: Family, Father, Parenting, Parent]
810 words (2.3 pages)
- Suicide Among Adolescents Suicide is a common occurrence among adolescents in the United States. Suicide is defined as, “death caused by self-directed injurious behavior with an intent to die as a result of the behavior” (CDC, 2015). According to John Santrock (2014), “Suicide is the third leading cause of death in adolescence and emerging adulthood” (p. 67). This alarming fact brings parents and communities to examine what causes suicide, how often it occurs, what solutions can be presented to prevent this occurrence, and how suicide can be considered from a biblical perspective.... [tags: Suicide, Adolescence, Death, Suicide methods]
1043 words (3 pages)
- Growing up, there are numerous challenges that one encounters: puberty, older siblings, algebra, and science. However, there is one disturbing phenomenon that is still prevalent among adolescents – bullying. In 2016, bullying is comprised of different forms compared to face-to-face bullying. There is physical, verbal, emotional, and sexual bullying. As technology advances, so do the bullies. Cyber bullying encapsulates anything that has to do with aggressive behavior via the internet. Low and Espelage quote David-Ferdon and Hertz defining cyber-bullying as “any type of harassment or bullying that occurs through e-mail, a chat room, instant messaging, a website (including blogs), text messagi... [tags: Bullying, Abuse, Aggression, Victim]
1157 words (3.3 pages)
- As countries continue to advance through the demographic transition model pregnancy rates drop due to technological and healthcare advances. The more developed countries have low overall birth rates, but among the birth rate statistics is an interesting group to study: adolescent pregnancies. In the 1980’s teen pregnancies were much more common in the United States than they are currently; this drop in teen pregnancies did not correlate with the development of the country technologically. So what might have caused this drop.... [tags: Sexuality, Birth Control]
1345 words (3.8 pages)
- The article examines the effects of pharyngitis among adolescents and explores methods to prevent complications. It also cites new antibiotic therapy used to treat bacterial pharyngitis. Symptoms affecting the throat are quite common. It is one of the main reasons for medical office visits. Acute pharyngitis is one of the most frequent diagnoses in the United States. Most causes are bacterial; Group A Beta-hemolytic streptococcus (GABHS) and streptococcus pyrogenes account for the most causes of acute pharyngitis.... [tags: Bacteria, Virus, Infectious diseases, Microbiology]
797 words (2.3 pages)
- Introduction “During adolescence and emerging adulthood, the lives of adolescents are wrapped in sexuality. Adolescence and emerging adulthood are time frames when individuals engage in sexual exploration and incorporate sexuality into their identity” (Santrock). Adolescence is a trying time of life. With so many changes occurring within the mind and body, adolescents are curious and have an insatiable curiosity, about life and sexuality. “Adolescents often wonder if they are attractive, how to behave sexually and what the future holds for their sexual lives” (Santrock).... [tags: sexual desire/feelings]
986 words (2.8 pages)
- Narcissistic Personality Disorder is characterized by a long-standing pattern of grandiosity, an overwhelming need for admiration, and usually a complete lack of empathy toward others (Psych Central 2014). Narcissists lack empathy towards other people and will even go to the extent of using others for their own personal benefit or self-improvement. The word originated from the story of Narcissus in Greek Mythology. Narcissus was renowned for his beauty and was attracted to a pool where he was able to see his reflection for the first time.... [tags: Narcissism in Adolescents]
1873 words (5.4 pages)
- Possible Solutions to the Youth Violence Problem The birds are chirping, the sun is beaming down through the clouds, and you can hear the shrieks of excitement from the neighborhood park. Walking down the street, you envision raising your family on this picture-perfect street. As the vision becomes more and more detailed, however, the shot of a gun rings out from the distance. You duck behind a parked car, wondering where the bullet came from and why. Looking around, you are shocked to see a group of adolescents standing around another child, this one laying lifeless on the ground.... [tags: Solutions Essays]
1546 words (4.4 pages)
- This research study will discuss the causes and symptoms of stress among adolescents. There is positive stress and negative stress that can result an adolescent not wanting to be with peers, family, and friends. The adolescent that is experiencing these chronic factor will need to find help to alleviate the negative symptoms and find some positive ways that will remove whatever situation he or she experienced in life while growing up as a child. I will discuss and compare three literature reviews of the findings on stress and what methods were found to be a positive factor to remedy the situation the adolescent is experiencing.... [tags: Causes, Symptoms]
1131 words (3.2 pages)
- Adolescents today are growing up in a totally different setting than the generation before them. New problems and choices are entering these young, and influential kids' lives. There are a lot of different factors in children’s lives that weren’t as common one generation ago. Adolescents today are filled with stress due to everyday problems in their lives. There are many factors that are playing into all of this stress put on children. One of these factors is divorce, one-parent families.... [tags: Adolescent Behavior]
759 words (2.2 pages)
- My Vacation At The Coopers Rock
- The Way Writing Is Structured And Written Is Important For The Reader
- Similarities Between Neanderthals And Neanderthals
- Slut Shaming : A War On Women
- Why D ' Amato Thinks Alice Should Be Exempt From Her Fine Of $ 50
- Hiv / Aids : A Dangerous Disease That Affects The Immune System