Socially, it is an act a man and woman (wife/wives) engaged in after fulfilling the appropriate marriage rites. Politically, in ancient history and in present times, it was and still is the ultimate weapon of seduction that gave/gives most of our prominent women power over their male opponents. Over the years, sexual activities have grown to affect our lifestyles and perspectives (life views) to a great extend.
In distinct parts of the world, the concept of sexual expressions and identities took diverse forms. The forms cut across beliefs, religions, perceptions, moral standard and even politics. However, certain things were settled for. According to N.M Heckel, in medieval times,
“Sex was measured, as it is now, to be a normal and natural part of life. Most authorities agreed that it was not intrinsically sinful because God would not have made such a necessary activity to be a taboo (without sex one cannot have children and fulfil the commandment to "increase and multiply, and repleni...
... middle of paper ...
Hoeksema, S. Inclusive Sex Education Needed in African Schools. 11th Nov 2011, 24th April 2012. Web. < http://ipsnews.net/news.asp?idnews=49219>
Heckel, N. Sex Society and Medeival Women. 24th April 2012. Web. http://www.lib.rochester.edu/camelot/medsex/text.htm
Meston, C, Ahrold, T. Ehtnic, Gender and Acculturation influences on Sexual Behaviours. DOI 10.1007. 2008. Print.
Mirrer, L. Women Jews and Muslims in the texts of Reconquest Castile. University of Michigan press. Michigan. 1996. Print.
Neary, L. Homosexuality in Africa is Still a Taboo. 22nd February 2010. 26th April 2012. Web.
AUN students. Personal Interview. 14-14th April 2012.
Wikipedia. Premarital Sex. 24th April 2012. Web.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- ... I must admit that it took me a considerable amount of years to correct these stereotypes that I had built in my mind. It took quite some time to realize that in actual fact, it was not the White people that I hated, but rather the oppressive system that denied me the right to even identify myself. This was a system that told us that we were different from white people; that we had to live in separate places from the white people. This system thrived on classification of black, Coloured, Indian.... [tags: apartheid, suppressive government]
619 words (1.8 pages)
- Gender Identity Gender identity has always been a controversial subject because everyone has a different opinion or feeling about the subject, but until everyone fully understands the immense history, the different types of identities, laws that have been passed and changed over the years, money that has been spent, bullying that takes place every single day, or the hundreds of controversies that have been argued about the issue one will never begin to understand the actual subject of gender identity.... [tags: Gender, Transgender, Gender identity, Gender role]
1286 words (3.7 pages)
- The black identity is a construction in society that is slowly escalating in progression involving numerous variables that can have effects in relation to other social groups. It is understood as a social, cultural, historical and structure transient to create a group or individuals from the relations with others (Brock, 2007). Creating a positive black identity in society, is a major challenge because the fashion and consumer industry obscures to which it is not approved. The relationship between black identity, education and culture are intense, unsteady and plural processes, constituted by social subjects throughout cultural, social relations and history.... [tags: White people, Black people, Race, South Africa]
1970 words (5.6 pages)
- America views of identity is strictly based on what is visible about you. If you are someone who is brown you are labeled as someone who has African ancestry. If you are someone who has pale white skin, you are labeled as someone who have European ancestry. “At the most basic level, we are subjects constituted by our visions of ourselves and others, and we trust our ability to see and read carries with it a certain degree of epistemological certainty.” (Schlossberg 1). The color of your skin, your hair, and wardrobe does not determine who you are.... [tags: Black people, Race, Human skin color, White people]
1078 words (3.1 pages)
- Imagine waking up in cold sweats, hearing screams of plea in your dreams, dreading having to wake up every single day knowing that you will have to take away innocent lives that day. Well, for some kids in Africa, this is a sad, twisted reality. According to the United Nations Children Funds, known as UNICEF, defines a child soldier as “any child- boy or girl- under eighteen years of age, who is a part of any kind of regular or irregular armed force or armed group in any capacity.”(Kaplan, cfr.org) For Africa, this is a very problematic area since many children are often part of a rebel group or even part of the government army.... [tags: Rebel Groups, Government Armies]
1038 words (3 pages)
- Master Thesis Lab Draft Research Proposal Draft Thesis Title Explaining Wartime Rape In Armed Conflict: The Great Lakes (Sub-) Region Draft Research Statement Sexual violence in armed conflict and wartime rape has been part of the spoils of war from time immemorial. A long dismissed inevitable consequence of the conflict is now widely recognized as an important problem of international security. Its ruinous effects on victims, perpetrators and local communities include forced displacement, the spread of disease, the burden of unwanted children, and deeply traumatized populations.... [tags: Sexual Violence, War, Africa]
3371 words (9.6 pages)
- Since 2015, the United States is now starting to accept and disapprove socially and politically when it comes to sexuality equality Law. In Africa, countries such as Libya are un-accepting socially and politically when it comes to sexuality equality Law. Sexual orientation is the term used to describe what gender(s) someone is sexually and/or romantically attracted to. With sexuality, there are terms that are used to define a person. Some of those terms deal with gender identity. Gender identity is who a person thinks they are as an individual.... [tags: Homosexuality, Same-sex marriage, Marriage]
1829 words (5.2 pages)
- Can you think about a person who is a music producer and great pacificist as well. As we know, music producer But, there is man named Darcy Ataman, who makes song for Africa, for people who are in disasters. Before Darcy went to Africa, he already paid close attention to the phenomenon in Africa, and decided to speak for the local people who are in trouble, like property, diseases. Later, he wrote songs to let everyone in the world to listen what unfairness is happening on the other side in the world.... [tags: music, producer, pacificist, disaster]
651 words (1.9 pages)
- Have you ever felt like people judge you, because of your skin color. Maybe, you have felt judgements due to your culture. Do you often feel like people are quick to stereotype and prejudge you. Many people pre-judge others, which leads to the assumption that, “…relying on racial and ethnic stereotypes when communicating with individual group members is counterproductive. Understanding others as individuals, while maintaining an awareness of general cultural norms, promotes effective interracial communication” (Orbe and Harris 25), which more individuals are becoming aware of over time.... [tags: Ethnic group, Race, Individual, Culture]
879 words (2.5 pages)
- To comprehend sexual orientation investigation in a notable setting, it will be critical to begin off by characterizing what sex is and sex examination. Sex alludes to the social development of male and female personalities. It is more than the natural make up of the two genders. It manages how the contrasts in the middle of men and ladies, whether genuine or envisioned, are esteemed, utilized and depended upon to arrange men and ladies and to allocate them parts and desires. The impact of this classification is that the lives and encounters of men and ladies happen inside of complex arrangements of contrasting social and social desires.... [tags: Sociology, Gender, Female, Sex]
1715 words (4.9 pages)