The theories that I used to explain this type of behavior was social learning theory and general strain theory. And through the example of how I described people can learn this behavior, I will be explaining through these paragraphs.
The media is a huge thing that is apart of our culture, you see it everywhere you turn or go. Something of news related is always being played on the tv, either on your campus or in a restaurant. Media shows the worst of people to everyone in the country, how there are rapists, predators, killers, shootings, bomb threats, school shootings, presidential debates, wars, and crisis. If you are wanting peace and comfort, I suggest you don’t watch the news. When the news talks about rapes and sexual assaults it can be quite ugly, especially the victim. Media can display and twi...
... middle of paper ...
...ot everyone is Beyonce or Britney Spears, so it is degrading for many others to think that women or men feel such a way is ridiculous.
How social learning theory plays into this, is how people will learn from media, movies, tv shows, and songs that it is okay to act or speak a certain way to a specific gender. Also it can relate how their parents or siblings react to the certain type of media. Using the general strain theory, it can be straining on peers against each other in how one acts a certain way, and how others feel as if they need to surpass that or do the same thing.
The world in college has become a dangerous place for everyone, and it was even eye opening to me, to learn the statistics and stories of all what happens on a college campus. I am hoping that it will soon change and will be a big topic at hand to protect people from this detrimental crime.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Sexual assault happens everyday whether people know it or not and it can happen to anyone. Sexual assault is any type of sexual contact or behavior that occurs without consent. It doesn’t just happen on campuses, at the mall, or even just walking down the street, it can happen almost anywhere and at anytime. Sexual harassment can happen to anybody, even people in the military get sexually assaulted more then people would expect. In the military, it usually happens with a higher ranking member assaulting the victim(lower ranking member) and the victim feels that they can’t do anything about the harassment unless they want to get into trouble for what has happened to them.... [tags: Rape, Sexual intercourse, Human sexual behavior]
889 words (2.5 pages)
- In Rape in the Fields, the issue of sexual assault and harassment in the farm industry among women is incredibly high and undocumented. Unfortunately, a large marjotity of women who work in these fields are illegal immigrants and often don’t speak much, if any, English. Along with the language barrier, most women are unsure of their rights and know that oftentimes they don’t have any. The documentary exemplified the both situations of “unwelcome” and “involuntary” sexual harassment. On more than one occasion women were told that if they did not perform sexual acts with their supervisors they would lose their jobs.... [tags: Rape, Sexual intercourse]
765 words (2.2 pages)
- For 200 years Fraternities have been perceived as a building block for loyalty, friendship, and life time connections, yet to those who are ignorant of the Greek system across campuses remain unaware of the debauchery happening to achieve these goals. Sexual assault and harassment have become pledges ' selling point in proving such loyalty. At least 1 in 4 college women will be the victim of a sexual assault during her academic career (Hirsch), and at least 80% of all sexual assaults are committed by an acquaintance of the victim ( Bureau of Justice Statistics).... [tags: Rape, Abuse, Sexual intercourse]
702 words (2 pages)
- ... The report found that service members in their first year of enlistment, those between the age of 18 and 24, and in the pay grade of E-1 through E-4, were most at risk. Perhaps the most sobering statistic is the estimate that approximately 80% of sexual assaults go unreported. To a Commandant utterly committed to the wellbeing of his Marines, to a General that, for 39 years and counting, lives by the mantra of engaged leadership, the disheartening reality of these crimes is that Marines are committing these crimes against their fellow Marines: 96% of the perpetrators are military personnel.... [tags: harassment, investigation, leadershop, career]
1941 words (5.5 pages)
- According to Kathleen Hirsch, the author of “Fraternities of Fear: Gang Rape, Male Bonding, and the Silencing of Women” 1 in every 4 women attending college will be the victim of sexual assault at some point during her academic career. Or in another study reported in the “The sexual Victimization of College Women” there are 35.3 incidents of sexual assault in a group of 1,000 women in a time span of 6.91 months (Statistics). Obviously sexual assault is a huge problem that should be taken very seriously.... [tags: sexual harassment, college, Title IX]
2155 words (6.2 pages)
- The faces flash by on the computer screen. The women on the screen are differents shapes, sizes, ages, and colors. However, there is one thing that all the women have in common: they have all been sexually assaulted on a college campus. More than one in five women were sexually assaulted on college campuses (Mott, Par. 1). It has been proven that programs in schools can help prevent these statistics from growing. However, more needs to be done to prevent sexual assault on educational facilities because the current programs are not fulfilling their purpose.... [tags: rape, harassment, gender equality, ]
968 words (2.8 pages)
- The Role of Human Resource Management (HRM) Related to Sexual Harassment in the Hospitality Industry Table of Contents Introduction 1 The Role of Human Resource Management (HRM) related to Sexual Harassment in Hospitality Industry 2 The Important Efforts of Human Resource Management (HRM) to Overcome Sexual Harassment in Hospitality Industry 4 Conclusion 6 References 7 Introduction “In May 2011 former IMF chief Dominique Strauss-Kahn was arrested for sexual assault employees in the hotel Sofitel New York” (ehotelier.com, 2013).... [tags: Strauss-Kahn, sexual assault]
2095 words (6 pages)
- Sexual Harassment is unwanted sexual harassment by someone at work, be it a boss or another employee, this is what I have always thought how sexual harassment in the workplace was defined. It is so much more. Sexual harassment is now defined as telling someone they look nice, yes that is sexual harassment today. Telling someone they smell good, yes that is sexual harassment today. There are so many issues that can be considered sexual harassment that there are too many to name them all in this one research paper.... [tags: Sexual harassment, Employment, Sexism]
1301 words (3.7 pages)
- Hot Topic for Military Sexual Assault The military is facing a major controversy when it comes to sexual harassment and sexual assault. Both sides of this controversy generally feel something needs to be changed so these crimes decrease and our soldiers feel safe among their comrades. The basic argument of this issues is how the government and military can change to decrease these crimes. This leads to the main question for this issue. Should Military Commanders prosecute sexual assault cases. .... [tags: Sexual Harrassment, Sexual Assault ]
1046 words (3 pages)
- Individual rights are being infringed on all the time in this country. The common law in this country protects against sexual assault and battery, but not sexual harassment. The 1994 Violence Against Women Act has issued guidelines for sexual harassment by the federal agencies but has not set laws to be enforced. These guidelines are supposed to be followed by men and women around our country. People living in the United States should feel safe and comfortable walking down the streets, in the office or in their schools, and that's the bottom line.... [tags: Sexual Harassment Essays]
1429 words (4.1 pages)