“The total number of reports of sexual assaults is up 11 percent over the previous year, and 70 percent over 2012, but officials said increased reporting is a sign of better confidence in the system.”(Hlad)
The US Military has created an environment that allows those who commit sexual assault to roam freely without any real fear of legal consequences; this can only be stopped if civilian court is allowed to handle and process all US Military sexual assault cases.
The US Military has a long history and jaded history of issues with sexual assault. The number of women sexually assaulted in the US Military is 5% higher than that of women in the ficivilian population; there are an estimated 20,000 sexual assaults on women service members each year. This is not, however, a strictly female problem; it is estimated that nearly half of...
... middle of paper ...
...ese predators will be back in the civilian population and with no criminal record of sexual assault, they will pose a risk to many Americans.
Each year, thousands of people raise their right hand and swear an oath to serve and protect this country; they make a promise to give their lives if that is what they are called to do. Each year thousands of these same people are having their own basic rights violated and those in charge are not taking the necessary steps to bring about justice. The US Military and its chain of command have had years to fix their broken system and have failed to do so. It is time for the US Military hand over the reins and allow civilian courts the right to process and punish sexual assault cases that occur in the military. This is the only way we can guarantee that those who serve our country will be able to get the justice that they deserve.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Sexual Assaults on College Campuses: Harsher Punishments Less Assaults Think about a small college class of yours. It’s probably around twenty people, give or take a few. Imagine them all to be females, and sit there and know that one of them will report being raped since the beginning of the school year. You don’t know which one it is, but yes, one in twenty women will report being raped in college since the beginning of the year. (Meichun, 2004) Those are just the ones that report, it is unknown how many there actually are.... [tags: Rape, Sexual assault, Sexual intercourse]
1177 words (3.4 pages)
- Missoula gives an in depth overview of sexual assaults that takes place in a small town of Montana specifically known as Missoula. This typical college town also known as Griz nation for the football lovers has an outstanding numbers of victims who had to face this kind of predicament ongoing without being acknowledged on how immense the issue is until Jon Krakauer got to interview some victims and wrote about it. He examined the issue of being sexually assaulted by thoroughly explaining who, when, where and how the event took place.... [tags: Rape, Sexual intercourse, Sexual assault]
991 words (2.8 pages)
- A Call to Action: Decreasing the Number of Sexual Assaults in the United States Sexual assault is a continued and rising problem in our society and women especially, should learn ways to reduce their risks of becoming an assault victim. The number of sexual assault cases is increasing at an alarming rate, making people think twice about what they’re doing and with whom. “Sexual assault is both a consequence and reinforcement of the power disparity between men and women. It is a violent act of power which, is carried out by men against women and children” (Sexual Assault).... [tags: assault victim, rape, child sexual abuse]
1558 words (4.5 pages)
- The purpose of this essay is to discuss the issue of rape and sexual assault in the military. The number of attacks for rape and sexual assault in the military are at an all-time high. Women have recently been allowed to fight on the front line. While this may be a huge achievement for women-kind, for this woman, it is a very scary thought. I am a junior at Texas Academy of Biomedical Sciences; a school geared towards students wishing to enter the medical field. I may be forced to join the military one day if a war breaks out and women are needed to protect the country.... [tags: Military Sexual Assaults]
1105 words (3.2 pages)
- Sexual assault is defined as any type of sexual contact or behavior that occurs without the explicit consent of the recipient. Falling under the definition of sexual assault are sexual activities as forced sexual intercourse, forcible sodomy, child molestation, incest, fondling, and In the United States 80% of sexual assault victims are under the age of 30. Of that 80%, 44% are under the age of 18 (RAINN, 2016). That leaves 36% of victims between the ages of 18 and 30. These percentages become even more alarming when that 80% is of about 293,000 victims of secual assualt each year (RAINN, 2016).... [tags: Rape, Sexual assault, Sexual intercourse]
1007 words (2.9 pages)
- In about the time it takes you to brush your teeth, someone is becoming a victim of sexual assault. In 2013 there were 334,297 reported cases of sexual assault , of those, 44% of the victims were under the age of 18, according to Rape, Assault, Incest National Network or RAINN. Over half, 68%, of sexual assaults are not reported to authorities, and because of that 98% of rapists will never see the inside of a jail cell. Sadly there is an even more shocking statistic, 4/5 victims know who their assaulter is.... [tags: Rape, Sexual assault, Sexual intercourse, Victim]
700 words (2 pages)
- Hot Topic for Military Sexual Assault The military is facing a major controversy when it comes to sexual harassment and sexual assault. Both sides of this controversy generally feel something needs to be changed so these crimes decrease and our soldiers feel safe among their comrades. The basic argument of this issues is how the government and military can change to decrease these crimes. This leads to the main question for this issue. Should Military Commanders prosecute sexual assault cases. .... [tags: Sexual Harrassment, Sexual Assault ]
1046 words (3 pages)
- Sexual assault on campus 90 percent of the victims of sexual assault are women and 10 percent are men, and nearly 99 percent of offenders in single-victim assaults are men (Bureau of Justice Statistics 2010). According to https://www.justice.gov/ovw/sexual-assault, Sexual assault is any type of sexual contact or behavior that occurs without the explicit consent of the recipient. Falling under the definition of sexual assault are sexual activities as forced sexual intercourse, forcible sodomy, child molestation, incest, fondling, and attempted rape.... [tags: Rape, Sexual intercourse, Sexual assault]
1786 words (5.1 pages)
- “One in five women who attend college will become the victim of a rape or an attempted rape by the time she graduates” (National Sexual Violence Resource Center). Although sexual assault and rape is a very known and rising issue on college campuses it is not treated with much relevancy. The poor system of consequences for sexual assault and rape is a controversy among many as the issue is treated with much leniency. There are thousands of women that are affected by this issue daily, over ninety percent of these cases are not reported.... [tags: Rape, Sexual intercourse, Sexual assault, Violence]
1590 words (4.5 pages)
- Sexual Assault Among Women In the United States Sexual Assault described in technical terms is defined as any sort of sexual activity between two or more people in which one of the people involved is involved against his or her will. (3) The description of "against his or her will" extends to varying degrees of aggression, ranging from indirect pressure to a direct physical attack. According to the Crime Victim Research and Treatment Center 1.3 adult women are sexually assaulted in the United States every minute.... [tags: Sexual Abuse Assault Research Papers]
1250 words (3.6 pages)