As a young female college student, I often wonder what thoughts are being processed inside in the mind of a male when they see me. For any girl that is attracted to someone they would not expect to get hurt by this person. When you are pursuing someone that is attractive, you always look for the appealing traits in them. No one ever wants to think that the person they are falling for would cause harm to them or be taken advantage of. Statistics show that one out of every six American women has been the victim of an attempted or completed rape in her lifetime. This means in a room of twenty-four women, four of them will be a victim of sexual abuse.
There are many forms of sexual abuse. Sexual abuse is an unwanted sexual activity that is usually forced upon the victim. Other forms of sexual assault incl...
... middle of paper ...
...ing to understand the seriousness of the crime that was committed. Discussing the experience with the victim can be difficult to talk about. The victim should never be made to feel guilty for it happening to them. The person should realize that these types of situations happen to many people. Even with that being said, opening up about the incident can still take time. In the healing process everyone will not deal with it the same. Some may choose to talk about it and some may choose not to ever discuss the situation. It is important for the victim to try to report the incident because it is possible the person may do it repeatedly. They may be able to help save someone else and/or prevent it from happening to them again. There will never be a valid excuse for sexual abuse. For anyone that may have experienced this in the past, their story may help save someone else.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Sexual assault impacts all races, societies, ages, and monetary classes. The upsetting actuality is that sexual assault has progressively become one of the quickest growing crimes in the United States of America. Due to the social disgrace attached to these sorts of violations, a large number of these cases go un-reported. When we think of sexual assault we typically associate that with women, however, men have also been targets what’s very surprising is that a lot of the male survivors do not identify themselves as victims.... [tags: Rape, Human sexual behavior, Child abuse]
1002 words (2.9 pages)
- The Purchase Area Sexual Assault and Child Abuse Center offers a variety of services and treatments for sexual assault and child abuse victims. To be brutally honest right out of the gate, I feel like a number of them are unnecessary. That being said, PASAC offers a few treatment services that has the potential to help victims out significantly. A few of PASAC’s services I was intrigued by were: the crisis response services, the legal advocacy services, and a few of the child sexual abuse examinations.... [tags: Child abuse, Human sexual behavior, Rape, Victim]
742 words (2.1 pages)
- There are many different types of victims we have discussed over the course of this class, but we’re only going to talk about two types in the following paper. These two types of victims are common just as any another victim across America. These include sex assault victims and child abuse victims, which are both primary victims in cases. The two share a tie together, both are a victim of abuse and can cause lifelong consequences, but they also pose many differences as well. Many questions arise when talking about victims, for example why is a child or adult being abused and what are the life altering affects to these actions.... [tags: Compare Contrast]
3509 words (10 pages)
- Jessica Jones: Representations of Sexual Assault and Abuse According to the National Intimate Partner and Sexual Violence Survey administered by The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, intimate partner violence, sexual assault, and stalking are widespread in the United States (NISVS, 2015). According to the study, “Sexual violence, stalking, and intimate partner violence are public health problems known to have a negative impact on millions of persons in the United States each year, not only by way of immediate harm but also through negative long-term health impacts (NISVS, 2015) Another key finding of this survey was that women are disproportionately impacted and that they experienc... [tags: Rape, Abuse, Domestic violence, Child abuse]
1180 words (3.4 pages)
- Sexual assault, abuse, and rape by athletes is a devastating crime. These crimes by themselves are horrendous, but when committed by athletes there are many different factors involved. Through extensive research this paper will show contributing factors that may result in assault, abuse, or rape by athletes. Special treatment for athletes throughout their career, belief in sexual male dominance, and the role of alcohol are all important factors. Other crucial factors are the attitudes and responses of: society, juries, victims, coaches, and athletes. This paper will explore all these issues and show that changes need to be made in all the areas to combat the growing percentages of... [tags: Athletes and Sexual Assault]
3552 words (10.1 pages)
- A majority of sexual assault victims cease to report their abusers. Out of the ¼ women that will be sexually assaulted in their life, only 6% of those occurrences are actually reported (Ramirez, 2016). There are plenty of reasons as to why a woman or a man would resist informing someone about an attack on him or her; embarrassment, victim blaming, fear of being attacked again, the list goes on, even to reasons we may not know of. All of these reasons that we are highly aware of bring shame upon the one suffering rather than the offender.... [tags: Rape, Sexual assault, Sexual intercourse, Abuse]
1575 words (4.5 pages)
- Introduction This paper is intended to look at the connection between substance abuse and sexual assault. In Canada, sexual assault and rape are far more prevalent than many people know and/or want to admit. This paper will be looking at sexual aggression along with three different populations of sex offenders and the correlation with substance abuse. These populations of sex offenders include: adolescents, college and university students, and adults (other than students). Before exploring sexual aggression and sexual assault, the following are some statistics showing the prevalence and scope of the issue.... [tags: Date Rape Essays]
2284 words (6.5 pages)
- Sexual Assault Among Women In the United States Sexual Assault described in technical terms is defined as any sort of sexual activity between two or more people in which one of the people involved is involved against his or her will. (3) The description of "against his or her will" extends to varying degrees of aggression, ranging from indirect pressure to a direct physical attack. According to the Crime Victim Research and Treatment Center 1.3 adult women are sexually assaulted in the United States every minute.... [tags: Sexual Abuse Assault Research Papers]
1250 words (3.6 pages)
- “Women with a childhood abuse history are around 1.4 to 3.7 times more likely to be sexually assaulted in adulthood, and a majority (around 59%) of women with either childhood sexual assaults (CSA) or adult assaults have experienced both” (Cloitre & Rosenberg, 2006). Revictimization for prior victims is an important topic in our society. Knowing and understanding the cycle of abuse can help prevent future victimization for such a vulnerable population. “This interest is grounded in evidence that persons who experience one victimization (an assault, a burglary, sexual abuse, etc.) are at greater risk for subsequent victimizations and the obvious merit of interrupting this pattern” (Weisel, 20... [tags: Childhood Abuse History, Sexual Assault]
885 words (2.5 pages)
- A Call to Action: Decreasing the Number of Sexual Assaults in the United States Sexual assault is a continued and rising problem in our society and women especially, should learn ways to reduce their risks of becoming an assault victim. The number of sexual assault cases is increasing at an alarming rate, making people think twice about what they’re doing and with whom. “Sexual assault is both a consequence and reinforcement of the power disparity between men and women. It is a violent act of power which, is carried out by men against women and children” (Sexual Assault).... [tags: assault victim, rape, child sexual abuse]
1558 words (4.5 pages)