Over the last semester, working with the Burnett County Health Department has allowed me to grow in my professional field as well as in my personal life. Allowing me with opportunities to work with the community and better their overall health status.
Understanding our project is important in learning the significance of our service here at Burnett County health department. Over the last few months, we have discovered many statistics that are beneficial to understanding the health status in Burnett County, WI. Prior to our work, previous students collected a survey regarding health issues in Burnett. This information was then relayed to our clinical group. After we placed the data into an excel spreadsheet and reviewed the findings at the community forum, we observed that there are three top health issues in the county. These issues included alcohol and drug use, mental health, and tobacco use. Our next step was to determine ways to overcome and help eliminate these issues, we dug into resources available around the area, and are now helping the providers, community, and other personnel implement these interventions.
There are many things that I learned during this project that enhanced my learning in the class room. The largest contributor would be leadership skills. While enrolled in my nursing leadership systems classes, we have unraveled how to overcome conflicts in the healthcare field along with in the everyday setting. Putting my classroom knowledge into the field setting has made it easier for me to understand, overall increasing my comprehension of leadership skills. Another aspect that was enhanced by working on this project was the understanding of social status on the health of the com...
... middle of paper ...
...g available resulting in changes in our contact personnel and the healthy Burnett team. This caused confusion with our contract, leading to a miscommunication between the new leaders and my nursing team. With the knowledge of our leadership skills, we were able to overcome this communication barrier and determine future expectations of our group with the Healthy Burnett team.
If we were to start this project over again, I feel that it would be very important to have a set list of guidelines. This would include check ups on how our data entry was going, along with progress checks throughout the project to make sure the Healthy Burnett staff and the Eau Claire nursing team were on the same page.
This project has helped me to understand how important it is to work with the community, and has helped me gain experience in public health for my future career as a nurse.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Each school, because of government mandate, has to provide services for exceptional students. The textbook Human Diversity in Education defines exceptional students as “those eligible for special educational services” (Cushner, McClelland & Safford, 2011). There are several categories for exceptional student but they all fall under the Ability/Disability continuum. Some of the categories for exceptional students are the: intellectually gifted, specific learning disability, emotionally handicapped, hearing impaired, visually impaired, mentally handicapped, and physically handicapped.... [tags: Education]
1365 words (3.9 pages)
- Introduction A service learning experience is designed to enhance a student 's growth in personal and social development and to obtain an understanding of community involvement. For my service learning experience, I volunteered at Change Point Center. In this reflection paper, I will discuss in depth information about the services that Change Point provides, my goals while I was there,and what I ultimately learned from this experience. Information about this experience Change Point center is located in Hot Springs, Arkansas and is a non-profit organization.... [tags: Learning, Sociology, Skill, Knowledge]
1066 words (3 pages)
- The aim of this essay is to discuss on how the reflection on mentorship will be undertaken, how and why the model of reflection will be used and the importance of confidentiality. I will reflect the mentorship by ensuring that the mentee during clinical practice is put at ease throughout the learning experience of four weeks (Quinn, and Hughes 2007, p. 29). Also, I will use the principle of Kolb’s learning cycle as my model of reflection because reflecting is an essential element of learning. As I am the mentor, I will follow this cycle in a clockwise direction with Jude, so she would have to reflect on the skills learnt by reviewing the whole situation (Kolb’s learning cycle 1984 in Rose an... [tags: Reflection Paper]
2694 words (7.7 pages)
- I opted to do the service learning project as opposed to the movie review or term paper because prior to this class, I had already devoted over 200 hours to the Southcliff Baptist Children’s Ministry. The beginnings of Southcliff go back to 1901 or 1902, Mrs. A.J. (Kate) Parks began the Seventh Ward Mission alongside Broadway Baptist Church. In October 1904, the Kentucky Avenue Baptist Church was formed out of the Seventh Ward Mission and met at an unused building. The church had about thirty members, and John R.... [tags: Christian terms, Christianity, 1988, 1902]
716 words (2 pages)
- On an average night in our community, there are around 9,500 individuals and families without a place to stay, according to the State Research Group on Homelessness and Poverty (2009). Because of this fact, there is a desperate need for shelter and volunteers to serve at these shelters. There are only 1,995 emergency beds, which is not enough to accommodate all of the homeless, and there is an even smaller number of workers willing to volunteer. The Homeless Center offers beds and meals to the homeless, working poor, and unemployed.... [tags: Volunteering, Volunteer]
1836 words (5.2 pages)
- My service experience at UNC has been nothing short of phenomenal. Although I was not incredibly involved with service in my freshman year, I was very privileged to have been offered an opportunity to perform a service project in Bolivia in the area of microfinance. My summer was spent working in a microfinance NGO in Cochabamba, Bolivia called CADEPIA, La Cámara de Pequeñas Industrias y Artisanías. I spent my first few weeks performing a needs-assessment with employees within CADEPIA as well as the micro-entrepreneurs who worked with the organization.... [tags: Personal Statement]
754 words (2.2 pages)
- Sequence: The Sequence Pattern is essential to me, especially at work. I definitely agree with the LCI assessment that states I use this pattern first. When I started my most current position with Amazon Customer Service I was nervous, but my nerves easily let up due to a great Training format. The company provided us with a operation and system manual 's that were organized with step-by-step instructions and we also participated in Live training. The company even had a buddy system that encouraged us to sit with Senior Representatives and review how they interacted with the customers via Live Chat, Email and Telephone.... [tags: Learning, Psychology, Sequence learning, Thought]
997 words (2.8 pages)
- Discuss the importance of Lifelong Learning/Continuing Professional Development. The purpose of this essay is to discuss Continuing Professional Development (CPD) and the importance CPD has to the nursing profession. Continuing Professional Development and Lifelong Learning (LLL) are both defined the same however CPD will be used throughout this essay. The concepts of CPD will be discussed along with two skills and one attribute that are required to become an effective learner. Due to the ever increasing changes in society, Continuing Professional Development (CPD) can only increase an individual’s understanding and knowledge in life.... [tags: Health care, Nursing, Learning]
2102 words (6 pages)
- Will Chief Nursing Officers Hear the Call: A Reflection The health care system has experienced rapid changes related to patient care and safety practices that had lead to multifaceted shift in patient care models and nursing leadership paradigm. These changes that include “transitioning from a traditional reimbursement models to new and innovative methods” (Patton & Pawar, 2012, p. 320). have greatly influenced the rapid transformation in the leadership role assumed by nursing executives in the healthcare organization in the past decade.... [tags: Health care, Medicine, Health, Nursing]
1116 words (3.2 pages)
- Personal Perspective on Learning The University has provided several resources to help facilitate my learning experience and attain my goal of completing my MBA. There are three key elements to the MBA program that are used to assist and educate the student in this learning environment. Each of these elements is uniquely designed to promote proactive thinking.... [tags: Reflection Reflective Personal Narrative Education]
959 words (2.7 pages)