When it comes to service learning I have always found it to be a rewarding way to challenge yourself as well as a better way to connect with and understand your community. I am actually not associated with any religious organization, but I have been doing community service for the better half of my school career. In the past and in the case of this courses requirements I volunteered my time at schools who are always in need of people who are willing to help the staff and students. I spent my ten plus hours at Faubion Middle School in Mrs. Phyllis Madison’s humanities classroom. This was a seventh grade classroom full of kids who had been labeled as troublemakers and slackers by the administration, but while some kids were troubled no one was troubling in my experience there. I am hoping to become and I am studying to be a high school teacher so this was a rewarding experience as both a volunteer and as a future teacher.
Service learning and community service is an integral part of a community and society as a whole. As a person who has grown up in a middle class family I have never experienced what some of the kids I worked with have faced in their lives and I was able to help, connect and empathize with this kids who came from a much more difficult and strenuous background. Being able to experience something through these kids is almost surreal in that I was able to and I find that anyone who works with underprivileged kids can connect with their issues and understand the hardships and challenges they face every day. I think everyone should have to contribute to some form of service learning in their life just to see and experience what other people go through who come from a different backgrou...
... middle of paper ...
...erienced by everyone no matter their religious affiliation.
I learned a lot about myself, my beliefs and my values during my time in Mrs. Madison 's seventh grade class. The kids I worked with were truly great and while it was a challenging experience I found that I got a lot out of it. As a future teacher I learned a lot of do 's and dont’s for a job like that and my own philosophies as a teacher and a person have changed I feel for the better. I had a wonderful time working with the kids and I hope I can come back next year to see how everyone is doing. I believe that everyone should have an experience like this because I feel that there is a lot that can be gained whether you look at it as a Christian, a humanist or just for your own goals or interests. Service learning has been a great part of my short time here at Concordia and i am glad for the time I did spend.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- I opted to do the service learning project as opposed to the movie review or term paper because prior to this class, I had already devoted over 200 hours to the Southcliff Baptist Children’s Ministry. The beginnings of Southcliff go back to 1901 or 1902, Mrs. A.J. (Kate) Parks began the Seventh Ward Mission alongside Broadway Baptist Church. In October 1904, the Kentucky Avenue Baptist Church was formed out of the Seventh Ward Mission and met at an unused building. The church had about thirty members, and John R.... [tags: Christian terms, Christianity, 1988, 1902]
716 words (2 pages)
- Service Learning Reflection Essay When it comes to service learning I have always found it to be a rewarding way to challenge yourself as well as a better way to connect with and understand your community. I am actually not associated with any religious organization, but I have been doing community service for the better half of my school career. In the past and in the case of this courses requirements I volunteered my time at schools who are always in need of people who are willing to help the staff and students.... [tags: Education, Learning, Middle class]
1110 words (3.2 pages)
- Service-Learning Reflection Paper Over the last semester, working with the Burnett County Health Department has allowed me to grow in my professional field as well as in my personal life. Allowing me with opportunities to work with the community and better their overall health status. Understanding our project is important in learning the significance of our service here at Burnett County health department. Over the last few months, we have discovered many statistics that are beneficial to understanding the health status in Burnett County, WI.... [tags: Health, Nursing, Epidemiology, Understanding]
729 words (2.1 pages)
- Service Reflection For my service learning project, I went to Jan Brzechwy Polish School to volunteer. I had a great experience, and I did not expect it to go that smoothly. This experience allowed me to visit the same Polish school that I attended for twelve years every Friday night. Although it was hard giving up my Fridays to learn Polish, I am so grateful that I did because knowing the language that my parents know and communicate with is rewarding even though we primarily speak in English to each other.... [tags: Education, Teacher, The Little Things, Coco]
947 words (2.7 pages)
- ... I did not expect to become so emotionally attached to these children. Every single one of them are so special, and getting to know them was such an honor and I truly did not expect to feel so blessed after this experience. The duties that I possessed as a college student volunteer was basically to play with the children and help set up for breakfast. Every Wednesday morning I would arrive at Easter Seals Child Care at 7am and work until 9am. This time period is when all of the parents drop their children off, so I was able to see some of the parents and even interact with a few of them.... [tags: student, experience, children, service]
2391 words (6.8 pages)
- Each school, because of government mandate, has to provide services for exceptional students. The textbook Human Diversity in Education defines exceptional students as “those eligible for special educational services” (Cushner, McClelland & Safford, 2011). There are several categories for exceptional student but they all fall under the Ability/Disability continuum. Some of the categories for exceptional students are the: intellectually gifted, specific learning disability, emotionally handicapped, hearing impaired, visually impaired, mentally handicapped, and physically handicapped.... [tags: Education]
1365 words (3.9 pages)
- The thought of community service was a bore to me before I began my volunteer work. I dreaded starting my community service although I knew I had to do it. Where I earned my hours did not even matter to me. I just wanted to get it over with. To my surprise it was not what I expected. Community service was not a painful experience; it was a very enjoyable and beneficial experience. I performed my community service with Habitat for Humanity. The non‐profit organization chooses the applicant that purchases the house and Habitat only charges them the cost of the materials.... [tags: Volunteer Work, Service Learning]
517 words (1.5 pages)
- What connections do you make between your service-learning experiences and some of the themes addressed in class (justice, love, rights, responsibility, relationships, etc.). There were several connections made between my service learning experiences and themes addressed in class. Some of the connections were about human dignity, solidarity, subsidiarity and equity. My service learning took place in a nursing home and the applicability of human dignity became abundantly clear. Teachings of solidarity and equity were directly exemplified.... [tags: Personal Reflection]
1894 words (5.4 pages)
- I signed up to volunteer at a local nursing home. Because my father works there, I have been there many times before. However, volunteering there was very new to me. I had to understand the circumstances in which people were in and how interact with residents respectfully and compassionately which provided opportunities for personal growth by practicing integrity, justice and good stewardship. Though I was a bit hesitant, my experience has been very positive. Just being a volunteer without any related experience or skills, I was unqualified to help and many ways.... [tags: Personal Reflection]
826 words (2.4 pages)
- Introduction A service learning experience is designed to enhance a student 's growth in personal and social development and to obtain an understanding of community involvement. For my service learning experience, I volunteered at Change Point Center. In this reflection paper, I will discuss in depth information about the services that Change Point provides, my goals while I was there,and what I ultimately learned from this experience. Information about this experience Change Point center is located in Hot Springs, Arkansas and is a non-profit organization.... [tags: Learning, Sociology, Skill, Knowledge]
1066 words (3 pages)