The research questions guiding this study are:
1. Do people sometimes choose to be homeless? If so, why?
2. How do these programs help the homeless/ working poor/ unemployed?
3. Do these programs enable the homeless/working poor/unemployed to stay at the same place in life? If so, how are the clients enabled?
Service learning is a rather new concept, but it has proven advantageous in connecting students with their communities when paired with reflection and when included in school curriculum. . Weigert’s (1998) view of ser...
... middle of paper ...
...ice and learning – Linking students and communities. Journal of Social Issues, 58(3), 517-534.
Johnson, E. B. (2003, October). Service learning stimulates the brain. [Electronic Version]. World & I, 18(10), 146-153.
Strage, A. (2004, June). Long-term academic benefits of service-learning: When and where do they manifest themselves? College Student Journal, 38(2), 257-261.
Toro, Dr. Paul.. Wayne State University Research Group on Homelessness and Poverty. 2002. Retrieved December 3, 2007 from http:// cotsdetroit.org/cots/aboutus.stats.wml?section=aboutus
Waldstein, F. A., & Reiher, T. C. (2001). Service -learning and students' personal and civic development. [Electronic Version]. Journal of Experiential Education, 24(1), 7-13.
Weigert, K. (1998). Academic Service Learning: Its meaning and relevance. New Directions for Teaching and Learning, 73, 3-1
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Homelessness is a real serious health issue all over the world that must be addressed. A lot of people in a public frequently misunderstand the cause of homelessness. Remarks regarding homeless people such as “they need to just get a job” or “go to school” are normally used liberally by members of society because they neglect to look at the complete issue. Homelessness does not discriminate. Individuals that have previously experience or may experience being homeless can be from different regions, have different cultural backgrounds, ages, and could be of any gender.... [tags: health issues, minorities, prevention]
1898 words (5.4 pages)
- The power of the law to create social justice and serve the disenfranchised is something that I know firsthand, growing up with a disability, dyslexia, I was treated differently people, always had lower expectations for me, and always told me that I could not attain the same things that all my friends would achieve. Because of the Americans with Disability Act and the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act and their subsequent enforcement I was able to receive the reasonable accommodation that allowed me to succeeded in primary and secondary school, and eventually in college.... [tags: Disability, Educational psychology]
1007 words (2.9 pages)
- I selected the Beacon to complete my service learning assignment over two days. The Beacon, a nonprofit day center that provides services to Houston’s homeless, is located at 1212 Prairie and staff can be reached at (713) 220-9737. The Beacon’s website, www.chomhouston.org, provides comprehensive information on the history of The Beacon and the services they provide. Established in 2007 by Christ Cathedral Church, The Beacon is currently open to serve clients Friday through Monday from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.... [tags: homeless, nonprofit, meal]
1152 words (3.3 pages)
- This semester I have been volunteering at the Youth Detention Center (YDC). YDC is a youth center for those youth ages 13-18 that have committed crimes, from running away from home to cutting the hydraulic brake lines of their parent's car. When is is concluded that the youth can no longer be active members in their communities, they are sent to YDC. There are four different units: H is for the youth that are in court right now but cannot stay at home, E is the girls unit, G unit is for the boys who committed minor crimes and felonies, and F unit is for the boys who committed major crimes and felonies such as sexual assault and dealing drugs.... [tags: detention center, youth]
3112 words (8.9 pages)
- I volunteered at the Activity Center for my Service Learning project. My duties were to watch the kids who participated in the after school program, play with them and help them with their home homework. I really enjoyed interacting with the African-American people and culture. I learned many things from the African-American population I worked with. I learned how the Activity Center staff teaches the after school kids good manners and behavior. I mentioned in one of my service learning journals that the staff was very strict and treated the kids like prisoners, but I came to the realization that maybe that is how they teach the kids discipline.... [tags: Service Learning Project]
1545 words (4.4 pages)
- Helping The Homeless One subject that simply can not be ignored no matter where you find yourself in Anaheim. The homeless population in Anaheim is rapidly growing and there seems to be no end to this conundrum. Sadly, these poor individuals can be found anywhere some small amount of shelter is. Thus, you can constantly find them lingering around parks or on the sides of freeways waiting to beg the next passerby for enough money to make it through the day. In Anaheim they can usually found at the various parks we have around the city.... [tags: Homelessness, Homeless shelter]
1647 words (4.7 pages)
- The functional area of service-learning is currently emerging as an acknowledged department at an institution of higher education. The theoretical roots of service learning go back to John Dewey, and the early twentieth century. However, current research on service-learning pedagogy dates back only to the early 1990’s. Best practices for the field are still being created as more and more new offices are springing up on campuses throughout the United States and institutions internationally. The reason this functional area is becoming ever popular is due to the positive impact it has on students and most all educational outcomes.... [tags: academic service-learning, co-curricular]
1648 words (4.7 pages)
- Service Learning Selection Throughout the United States homelessness has become a huge problem with jaw dropping numbers. According to the National Alliance to End Homelessness approximately 578,424 people were homeless on one night. Whether that is either sleeping out on the streets or in shelters. We tend not to think of this because we are not a part of those numbers. We don’t really think about what we would do if we lost everything, like some of these families/people did. We live such busy lives that we usually take life for granted.... [tags: Homelessness, Homeless shelter]
1160 words (3.3 pages)
- Submit Your Repaired LG TV and Get A Resolved TV LG is one of the leading companies which manufacture various electronic gadgets. Its manufacturing not ends with a single product, instead, it continues with producing various products such as mobile phones, tablet computers, Rolly Keyboard and various home appliances. It is having a highlight as first brand to produce pocket-fit keyboard. LG is always an expected brand to deliver stylish and creative products. Though it delivers qualified products, it is also ready to offer better customer care.... [tags: Customer service, Technical support, Customer]
837 words (2.4 pages)
- When a woman approached Benjamin Franklin following the concluding session of the Constitutional Convention in Philadelphia in the fall of 1787 and asked what sort of government the delegates had come up with, Franklin famously replied: "A republic, madam, if you can keep it." The relevance of that notable statement transcended centuries and applied itself not only to national politics. The People’s participation in maintaining an agreeable government depends on a collective activism regarding both state and local civic affairs.... [tags: Service Learning Teaching Education]
1115 words (3.2 pages)