It is not a simple task to get a service dog. Service dogs just don’t come straight out of a pet store. It takes years to train that cute little fluff ball and turn him into a human helper. Because there is so much work involved in training a dog to become a service dog, there are not enough of them. In fact, people needing a service dog may have to wait two to five years before they can get a service dog .
Service dogs are selected and trained by organizations such as Canine Companions for Independence. These organizations choose potential service dogs by looking at a dog’s ancestral history. The health history of the dog is reviewed along with the health history of the dog’s parents. Sometimes dogs are bred to be service dogs. They can even be bred to be smaller or bigger depending on the tasks that may need to be completed . The cost of selecting and training dogs to become a servi...
... middle of paper ...
.... They enrich their lives with their strength, love and the bond between each other.
IV. Calmenson, Stephanie. Rosie a Visiting Dog’s Story. Houghton Mifflin Company, 1 1994. 6-45. Print.
I. "F&Q." Summit Assistance Dogs. Summit Assistance Dogs, Web. 17 Feb 2010.
VI. "F&Q." Summit Assistance Dogs. Summit Assistance Dogs, Web. 17 Feb 2010.
VII. "F&Q." Summit Assistance Dogs. Summit Assistance Dogs, Web. 17 Feb 2010.
III. Kent, Deborah. Animal Helpers for the Disabled. 1st. New York: Franklin Watts, 2003. 7-53. Print.
II. Simpson Smith, Elizabeth. A Service Dog Goes To School The Story Of A Dog Trained To Help The Disabled. 1st ed. New York: Morrow Junior Books, 1998. 1-59. Print.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- ... Product In the nineties, KIA never really thought about consumer demands. The company just focused on expanding the scale and scope of business. Kia decided that their products lacked in diversity. After changing the marketing strategy and using sports marketing, KIA Automotive Group's ranked from tenth in nineteen ninety-nine to a global rise to fourth in the world (Freeman 2008). KIA combined two types of sports marketing; first, they used sports product marketing as one of the templates. Second, they used sports sponsorship.... [tags: customer service, marketing, consumers]
779 words (2.2 pages)
- The United States corrections system is a complicated system with many different ways of handling certain situations. There is not just one set criminal justice system that covers nationwide, each state is different but all follow the same set of laws and rules set forth by the United States Constitution. (Bureau Justice of Statistics, 2013). The state goes through many different sets of obligations before convicting a suspect. They are "punished" by many different ways once they are initially arrested.... [tags: Punishment V. Rehabilitation]
975 words (2.8 pages)
- In the book written by Daniel Goleman (1995) called ‘Emotional Intelligence: Why it can matter more than IQ’ explains how we have two minds. The emotional and rational mind, and they both operate in tight agreement for the most part. Usually there is a balance between the two, the rational mind mostly refining and time-to-time vetoing the inputs of our emotions. But still, they are semi-independent, each reflecting the operation of distinct, but interconnected, electrical structure in the brain.... [tags: Emotional Intelligence Essays]
1440 words (4.1 pages)
- ... In adults, alcohol is the most widely used drug. Most alcohol addicts are adults who grew up drinking as teenagers. The adults who did not, seem to always say it started with one drink. “A standard drink is defined as 14 grams of pure alcohol according to the US Department of Health and Human Services.” ("About Alcohol Abuse and Addiction"). 14 grams of alcohol is the equivalent to a 12 ounce can of beer or a 5 ounce glass of wine. There is no set amount of alcohol that can determine whether a person is drunk or not.... [tags: alcohol, drugs, substance abuse, prevention]
1267 words (3.6 pages)
- INTRODUCTION A service encounter is defined as a moment when a customer interacts with a service or product for the first time. It is the customer’s actual interaction with a service company. It is identified as a key component of the current agenda for service marketers. More than half of the world’s multinational corporations employ in providing services, thus the scrutiny of service encounters is becoming increasingly significant. Research evidence indicates that customers generally compare their expectations with the performance of service industries and they are influenced by the quality of service they receive.... [tags: customer interaction, service company]
1573 words (4.5 pages)
- Service learning, like apprenticeship and school-to-work, contextualizes student learning. It provides an environment in which students can acquire organizational, team, problem-solving, and other skills, attitudes, and capabilities necessary for future work and learning. This ERIC Digest looks at service learning: what it is and how it supports vocational and career development outcomes. A Complement to School-to-Work and Other Federal Initiatives Service learning is a work-based learning experience through which students learn, develop, and apply academic and vocational skills to address the real life needs of their local communities (Briscoe et al.... [tags: apprenticeship, school-to-work]
1859 words (5.3 pages)
- More Than A Grandfather My grandfather has had such a huge impact on my life. Why, you ask. It’s because of the kind of person that he is, and all of the things he has accomplished in his life. He has been successful at every thing he has ever done and has never failed at anything he has ever tried. He worked so hard for everything that he has and at one point he had to work two jobs to support his wife and four kids.... [tags: essays research papers]
1171 words (3.3 pages)
- Service process design: To design an efficient service, marketers and specialists in operations must work together. Process in goods production and services are different from each other. In production except for custom designed production, customer do not involve in the process other than opening the package. But the differentiating characteristic of the service is the extension of customer participation in the process of manufacturing and delivery service. In the services like real estate that there is a high interaction between customers and employees, also human resource specialists should cooperate.... [tags: Service Project, Design, ]
1365 words (3.9 pages)
- Praying to God in Private as Being More Important than Attending Services in Church Some people believe that praying in private is more important that attending mass. Praying to God in private has both advantages and disadvantages. One of the advantages of praying in private is that it creates a closer bond between you and God. This helps people feel closer and deepen their relationship with God. Also when praying in private you feel that you can pray about a wider range of topics as it is more confidential, it is just between you and God.... [tags: Papers]
608 words (1.7 pages)
- Hangover Helpers This article gives advice of remedies for a hangover. It explains what you can do before you drink; what to do while drinking; as well as suggestions for after you drink. Hangover symptoms may include headaches, nausea, diarrhea, tremors, and fatigue. Hangovers are generally more severe if you haven’t been getting enough water or sleep. Before drinking, the advice that they listed was that you eat fatty foods, eat high- fiber foods, take vitamin C, and try hangover prevention formulas.... [tags: essays research papers]
391 words (1.1 pages)