David just came back from his lunch break with a big smile on his face. While at lunch, he had set up a “date” with his daughter that day after work. They tried to do this once a week as their own time. Once David returned, he read an email that was received while he was at lunch stating that everyone had to work mandatory overtime starting that day. He was upset that he would have to cancel his “date”. When his normal quiting time came, he noticed that almost all of the managers were on the way out of work. This did not help with the mandatory overtime. The thought was, why should he have to stay to reduce the back log of work and the management did not. This is an example of management that is not following the servant leadership style. Servant leaders are one of the best forms of leadership style because the leader (manager)...
... middle of paper ...
... by what they do, not by what they say. There are many people that are going through life working at a job that they hate because they are not aware of this type of leadership. On Fortune website there is a list of the top best companies to work for that follow servant leadership. Some of them you might not know but I am sure you will recognize these: Wegmans Food Market, Zappos.com, Whole Foods Market, TD Industries, Aflac, Marriott International, Nordstrom and Men’s Wearhouse (Lichtenwalner, 2011). It is not the size of the company nor does the economy make a difference for this type of leadership. It just means that you appreciate your employees and are willing to do what is best for them, not yourself. By taking yourself out of the equation, your employees will make up the difference and everyone will benefit, the employees, you and the company as a whole.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Effective leadership relies on the ability to influence other and is important to the success and longevity of an organization. I believe that a servant style of leadership is most closely aligned with my beliefs. Servant leaders believe that “people can accomplish much when inspired by a purpose beyond themselves” (Economy, 2015). As an educational leader I will remind teachers that our purpose is prepare student’s for their future whether they are headed for college or a career. To play a role in the growth and development of another person is an honorable task.... [tags: Leadership, Skill, Management, Servant leadership]
726 words (2.1 pages)
- Introduction Today many would agree that customer service is an oxy-moron; there seems to be very little service associated with customers when they have a need after the close of sale. Once the business has received payment, they quickly move on to making the next sale forgetting about their current customers. While this business model may work well for the beer vendor at The Ballpark, it unfortunately does not translate well into other business models. Unfortunately, the lack of service that is extremely prevalent in many organizations today is an indicator of a deeper problem.... [tags: Leadership, Management, Servant leadership, Jesus]
1027 words (2.9 pages)
- Servant leadership is a leadership style that is more democratic instead of autocratic. The employees are the center of this model. This leader is one that assesses the employee in the professional and personal growth. Servant leader follow the model established by Robert Greenleaf in 1977. Using Mr. Greenleaf’s ten characteristics, those will show the benefits of this type of leadership for both the company and employees. Does this style really do want is said of it. Yes, based on the research, this style is more beneficial toward the employees making them into employees that are more productive and want to stay with that company.... [tags: Leadership, Management, Employment]
4060 words (11.6 pages)
- David just came back from his lunch break with a big smile on his face. While at lunch, he had set up a “date” with his daughter that day after work. They tried to do this once a week as their own time. Once David returned, he read an email that was received while he was at lunch stating that everyone had to work mandatory overtime starting that day. He was upset that he would have to cancel his “date”. When his normal quiting time came, he noticed that almost all of the managers were on the way out of work.... [tags: Leadership, Management, Servant leadership]
970 words (2.8 pages)
- I selected the acting manager of my unit, a clinical coordinator and the academic affiliation coordinator. These three nursing leaders have a good reputation as nurse leaders among the staff. They are efficient and strive for the attainment of our organizational goal of serving all the American veterans with honor (United States Department of Veterans Affairs, 2016). Preferred Leadership Style and Achievement of Success The acting manager of my unit, Margie Ortiz likes the servant leadership style.... [tags: Leadership, Management, Servant leadership]
1146 words (3.3 pages)
- Servant-Leadership versus Transformative Leadership The world growing more and more complex and institutions need managers who can adapt to the increasing pace of innovation. Servant leadership and transformative leadership are some of the new management techniques and ideas that address the increasing complexities of the world. However, as these new ideas are developed and implemented, which one works the best in today working environment. Which one of these management styles has a greater impact on those who use and those who are managed.... [tags: Leadership, Management, Servant leadership]
1693 words (4.8 pages)
- Leadership Approaches Servant Leadership Servant leadership is a set of practices or a philosophy that have a focus of enriching the lives of others. Servant leadership also focus on building better organizations and creating a world that is caring and just. Although servant leadership is considered to be a timeless concept by some, the phrase “servant leadership” was thought of by Robert K. Greenleaf’s essay that was titled The Servant as A Leader, published in 1970. Robert Greenleaf believed that the servant leader all started from the individual person having a natural feeling of being one that wants to serve first.... [tags: Leadership, Servant leadership]
804 words (2.3 pages)
- Leadership Style Since August of 2015 I have had the privilege of working with an incredible leader in Andrea Williams, principal of Theresa Bunker Elementary School. She is the epitome of a well-rounded leader who exemplifies all of the qualities of a leader as described by House’s path-goal theory of leadership. Mrs. Williams works diligently each day to create a productive work environment. She is direct when she needs to be and is extremely respected by her faculty as a fair leader. As I have observed her over the past two years I have seen her leadership skills in action.... [tags: Leadership, Management, Servant leadership]
1661 words (4.7 pages)
- Benchmark – Servant Leadership and Christianity Servant Leadership is a leadership style that have been around since Jesus introduced it during his teaching. His style have been tried again and it has proved to work. Different organizations have gravitated to this style of leadership and they have become one of the biggest companies in the United States of America. Example of the company that practice Servant leadership is Southwest Airlines. Southwest Airlines management have practiced servant leadership style that it is now their motto.... [tags: Leadership, Management, Servant leadership]
704 words (2 pages)
- The concept of servant leadership is one that many of today’s leaders struggle with, yet it is shown to be one of the more productive forms of leadership. The concept is really about the leader helping to grow their follower’s in a manner that involves empathy, listening skills, and compassion. Servant leadership is a way for leaders to connect with their teams and show that they understand the trials and tribulations that go along with the work. Think of an inverted pyramid. The leader is the point of the pyramid stabilizing the structure at its base.... [tags: Servant Leadership]
309 words (0.9 pages)