SENATOR PROFILE – DIANNE FEINSTEIN
Dianne Feinstein, the oldest currently serving senior United States Senator from California, was born in San Francisco California in June 22nd, 1933. She became a mayor of San Francisco when the assigned San Francisco mayor was shot and killed in 1978. Although she lost the governor of California in 1990, she became the first woman elected U.S. senator from California in 1992.
Feinstein is serving as a senator for 21years (1992-present). She is the legislative committee member of Appropriations, Judiciary, Rules and Administration, and she is the committee Chair of Select Committee on Intelligence. In her first term as a senator, she co-authored the Gun Free Schools Act and the Hate Crimes Sentencing Enhancement Act in 1994. Also she led legislation banning sale and possession of military-style assault weapons.
Feinstein strongly supports Planned Parenthood Action Fund, which she rated the special interest group 100 percent for 20 years. Planned Parenthood Action Fund engages in educational and electoral activity like legislative advocacy and voter education. She does not support Christian Coalition of America, an organization that represents number of Christians’ certain viewpoints in America. She supports National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP), an organization that ensures the political, social, educational, and economic equality of rights of all persons and tries to eliminate racial hatred and racial discrimination. She slightly supports American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) with an average approval rate of 65 percent. ACLU is an organization that preserves the individual rights, which include First Amendment rights, equal protection under the law, right t...
... middle of paper ...
...e bill. For the fourth hypothetical bill, Feinstein would vote nay. In her statement in the Supreme Court’s decision to consider same-sex marriage cases, she strongly points out that Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA) denied more than 1,100 gay couples’ right and benefits that other American citizens enjoy. So, she expressed that this is a violation of equal protection. Additionally, Feinstein expressed her hopes that Supreme Court will uphold the decision and restore marriage equality in California.
In my opinion, Dianne Feinstein is a very liberal Democrat senate because she strongly supports bills that ban gun sales and military assault rifles. Also, she is very liberal on her opinions on abortion rights and same-sex marriage couple’s rights. She gives great care minorities like abused women around the world, African Americans, American Laborers and Gay couples.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- At the turn of the 1950s, there was a fear of communism gripping the hearts of Americans. As the bane of democracy grew internationally, spreading into China in 1949, Americans feared that there were roots of communism within the United States as well. As the years progressed, spies were discovered, and committees were created to keep Communist parties in the United States in check. On February 9, 1950, Senator Joseph McCarthy made a seemingly radical statement, announcing that he possessed the names of hundreds of communists in the government.... [tags: communism, joseph mccarthy, senator]
1278 words (3.7 pages)
- Some have wondered if Senator Richard Nixon lied to and manipulated the people when he spoke to regain his own integrity. This is a subject that many have questioned about the past politicians. The text,"Checkers" was delivered by Senator Richard M. Nixon in 1952. The text was published by AmericanRhetoric.com. Senator Nixon wrote this text for the American people to presuade them to believe he is an honest man. When Senator Nixon was accused of taking $18,000 from his supporters illegally; he spoke about how the money was used to save the American taxpayers from having to pay for his political business.... [tags: Richard Nixon, Senator, US President, History]
1053 words (3 pages)
- We are one of the leading manufacturers and suppliers of a wide range of Electrical Contacts for Starter and O.C.B. Carbon Brush, Brush Holder and Slip Ring Unit.// change sequencing, same as about us// Our range is acknowledged for optimum quality, efficiency and durability. We are counted as a prominent manufacturer and supplier of a comprehensive range of Electrical Contacts for Starters, O.C.B. Contacts, Carbon Brushes, Brush Holders, Slip Ring Unit and Flexible Cable. Moreover, we are also a stockist of Relay, Timers, PVC Cables, Copper Wire and Aluminum Wire.... [tags: Business Profile]
2279 words (6.5 pages)
- We are a renowned organization engaged in retailing and supplying of Audio & Visual Equipment, Sprung Back Scrappers and Polyurethane and Rubber Screen Decks & Liners. These are known for their durability, reliability and excellent performance. Owing to our experience of almost a decade in this field, we are engaged in offering our clients with a comprehensive range of LCD Projectors, Cordless Mike, Computers, Laptops and Audio Systems. Apart from these, we also provide Collar Mike, Sprung Back Scrapers and Polyurethane and Rubber Screen Decks & Liners.... [tags: Business Profile]
2230 words (6.4 pages)
- We are one of the leading manufacturers and suppliers of Engine Valves Seats & various types of engine application. Our products are precisely engineered and are known for their durability and resistance against pressure and temperature. Backed by the industry experience of 17 years, we are the prominent manufacturers and suppliers of Engine Valves Seats & various types of engine application. Our range of products includes Engine Valve Seat Inserts, Ring and Header Work. The high quality valves that we manufacture are known for their resistance against extremely high temperature in the combustion chambers of four stroke engines that use natural gas, L.P.... [tags: Business Profile]
1789 words (5.1 pages)
- Profile Essays Profile Essays - Grandfather, Grandpa By definition, my grandfather is handicapped. However, he doesn't act as though he is, and he certainly does not want to be treated in any special way. In fact, most of the handicapped people in society do not appreciate being treated in a way different from anyone else. They just want to be accepted as human beings. Some people become handicapped as a result of an accident. Others are born with their disabilities. My grandfather was asleep one night on a Coast Guard cutter when another ship, a destroyer, appeared in the distance.... [tags: Personal Narrative Profile]
415 words (1.2 pages)
- India Places .com About Us India Places is the premium website on tourism that gives details about the important tourist’s places in India. It covers the whole lot of places across the country. Every part of the country is covered under this. The most sought after places in India that people wants to visit, all the details regarding the important tourist’s spots, locations to visit, the details of hotels and resorts to stay are provided on the site.... [tags: Business Profile ]
857 words (2.4 pages)
- ... The final vote was 67-22 against the Senator. While McCarthy was found not guilty of the fraud charges against him as a result of the false accusations made against officials and the military, the censurship remained in effect. This led to being removed from his position as chairman, but remained a Senator until his death on May 2, 1957 at the Bethesda Naval Hospital. The cause of death for Joseph McCarthy was complications from alcoholism and hepatitis (Schwarz). An in depth look at the trials of Senator Joseph McCarthy shows just how much the man thought of himself during his time in the position of Senator.... [tags: accusations, nonexistent evidence]
1178 words (3.4 pages)
- “Land of the free, home of the brave”, the United States has stood amongst the most powerful and influential countries of the world for decades and decades. In order to maintain said reputation, the country needs a leader just as strong and influential. In the early 1960s the United States had a leader who was a leader among leaders and had the respect of an entire nation. John Fitzgerald Kennedy was the 35th President, who took office on January 20, 1961- but before that Kennedy was a World War II hero, a United States Senator, and published a book titled Profiles of Courage which won him a Pulitzer Prize (www.famouspeople.com).... [tags: American History]
1132 words (3.2 pages)
- Dianne Williams Stepp's The Filbert Orchard portrays a uniquely haunting experience. Dianne Williams Stepp's "The Filbert Orchard" portrays a uniquely haunting experience. The poem blaintly attempts to draw the reader in through its critical lense and perspective. Stepp's usage of many carefully connected literary devices creates a distinctive tone, effect, and message that exposes the tragedy behind southern ideology and values during the civil war. The success of "The Filbert Orchard" can then be traced to its tight construction and use of historical references portrayed through literary detail.... [tags: English Literature]
816 words (2.3 pages)