The American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM) (2010) states that a good fitness leader should be attentive, professional, knowledgeable, good motivator, safe, empathetic and keep the clients’ needs in mind at all times. This essay will be looking at my personal performance as a fitness instructor and how/if I adhered to these guidelines.
Initially it was agreed with the client what they would like the aim of their session to be. This shows that the goals and aims of the client were the focus of the session. The aim of the session was to allow muscular hypertrophy to take place. Therefore it was decided that 3 sets of 8-10 reps would be the desired amount, this is backed up by Doyle (1997). However during the session the 1 rep max values for the client were not gained therefore I was unable to prescribe the desired weight of 70-80% 1 rep max for the client.
At the beginning of the session I pointed out to the client the whereabouts of the fire exits, first aider, water, towels and panic button. This was to ensure that the client was aware of these for safety purposes and in c...
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Goal-Setting Techniques and Team Performance When it comes to goal setting, there are four main characteristics, they are as follows: goals should be difficult but attainable, goals should be specific and have a set list of guidelines, group members should display a feeling of commitment to the goal, and all teams should have a feedback system to provide members with information about progress (Robbins & Judge, 2013). Another important factor for successful group performance is the ability of the group leader to understand the self-efficacy of each individual group member.... [tags: fitness goals, healthier companies]
966 words (2.8 pages)
- In the last six months there has been several issues in regard to Premier Leisure and Fitness in Leeds. The issues stem from a lack of general management over this period of time. There are three main issues at the center which include: low customer satisfaction, de-motivated staff and a desperate work force. To ensure these problems are resolved it is crucial for the new manager to have specific qualities. They need to have strong leadership style, motivation and group dynamics skills. The following sections will justify why it is vital for the potential new manager to have these qualities and skills.... [tags: Maslow's hierarchy of needs, Motivation]
1428 words (4.1 pages)
- Childhood Fitness Physical activity and fitness is a very important aspect of life. In most cases, people are happier, have better self – esteems, and are more successful when they are healthy. By virtue of that scenario, there is no better time to develop a healthy life style than childhood. It is easy for parents to get their children on the right track by introducing them to sports at a young age. In today’s society, too many children spend excessive time indoors watching television and playing video games.... [tags: essays research papers]
1913 words (5.5 pages)
- High performing cultures continually strive for improvement. Continuous feedback is required for this continuous improvement. Without feedback, you are walking blind. At best, you will accidentally reach your goal. At worst, you will wander aimlessly through the dark, never reaching your destination (Retrieved September 28, 2013 from www.opm.gov). Dodging feedback can be very harmful; one always remains stuck in that particular situation. Positive or negative feedback not only enhances/deteriorates performance but also has a huge effect on one’s self-concept.... [tags: performance evaluation, criticism]
802 words (2.3 pages)
- Medical experts vindicate that following a regular fitness program is one of the most important things people can do to improve their health and prevent disease. Exercising makes the heart stronger and develop into a more efficient muscle. What else can regular fitness do for you. Improves Mental Focus Exercise improves your mental focus. Experts say that regular exercise helps keep your brain sharp by improving your focus and concentration. Studies show exercising decreases the chance of Alzheimer's disease.... [tags: Fitness]
687 words (2 pages)
The Effects of Training in Undulation Training for Development of Hierarchical Fitness and Improved Firefighter Job Performance
- ... The study design of the research took place within a span of nine weeks. Before and after the nine weeks of resistance training, several tests were administered to determine the level of muscular strength, jumping ability, sprinting ability, RFD, etc. as they were all much needed requirements specific to the job of firefighting. Other factors were also considered, including height, mass, and size of limbs and chest. Upper and lower bodies of the participants were measured via barbell squats and bench press exercises, using the 1RM method until failure.... [tags: fitness, muscular, risk]
962 words (2.7 pages)
- IGT is very particular of its brand image and sometimes ignores the value of building strong relationships with clients and prospects. The company is a high performance firm but if focuses on relationship building with others especially externally, it will help IGT to get more business and generate high revenue. 3) Collaborate for success – The third skill of a self-leader is to collaborate for success. This is where self-leaders take the initiative to get the direction and support they need to achieve their goals.... [tags: Maslow's hierarchy of needs, Motivation]
2036 words (5.8 pages)
- Conventional women’s magazines including fitness magazines have traditionally fallen short of providing empowering images of women in articles and advertisements. In the 1980s, fitness magazines catering to females were launched for fitness oriented women (Hardin et al 105). Magazines that were targeted at women’s fitness were analyzed regarding how they portray women in not only articles but advertisements as well. Oxygen, Self and Shape are all fitness magazines that provide articles and images of women regarding fitness and health.... [tags: Health & Fitness]
1107 words (3.2 pages)
- Crossfit: Forging Elite Fitness Elite athletes to grandmothers can use the Crossfit method of fitness to achieve their fitness goals. It is the best and most well rounded fitness program there is in achieving general fitness. Whatever your fitness level and goals, Crossfit has something to offer everyone. Since its inception it has grown in popularity and has helped many reach maximum levels of fitness. This is why Crossfit is the best fitness program there is. Body: The Crossfit Fitness Organization was founded in 1996 by Coach Greg Glassman.... [tags: Fitness, Entrepreneurship]
1040 words (3 pages)
- Leader Characteristics Charismatic leadership is one of four subdivisions of the larger concept of transformational leadership (Bass, 1990). Charismatic leaders are self-confident, dominant, purposeful, articulate, influential, idealistic, and expressive. They have high energy levels, strong convictions, the ability to display empathy, and are risk takers (Bass, 1990). By stimulating "ailing corporations, revitalizing aging bureaucracies or launching new enterprises" (Howell and Avolio, 1995), charismatic leaders demonstrate how truly effective they can be.... [tags: Sociology Leadership Leader Management]
1744 words (5 pages)